• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

having hay/straw on the floor of a shed

dayle_x

Mama Doe
my bunnies are 95% litter trained, and i was thinking of putting a nice thick layer of straw or hay at one end of the shed for them to cosy themselves into, but do you think it would encourage them to wee/poo there?
should i just leave it as lino?

Don't know really but I do know that in this weather, mine are knee deep in straw all over their condo and they still use their litter tray. They did go in a corner in the straw but I just stuck another litter tray in!!! :D

I covered the floor of my shed in hay and then all I kept finding was poops and I am sure she was wee'ing in it, I was a bit concerned about her then eating stale urinated on hay, so now its in the litter tray, on top of the little hidey house (where she tends to sit) and inside the hidey house (which gets used as a litter tray) and then a pile in one corner. The only one I don't change everyday is the stuff on top of the hidey house. The rest gets changed and I have wondered if I am being a bit over the top on cleanliness?

I put hay everywhere because of Molly's hocks, and they do poo everywhere on it. They also tend to wee in certain places too. Every day, I poo pick through the hay to keep it clean and get rid of any weed on hay.

Mine have a hay shelf and they do wee and poo on it but they also snuggle on it and in this weather I think they need it

I don't put it all over the floor, but they have a big loft bed area (7 x 4) that is stuffed with bedding that they keep clean.

When it was really cold, I decided to put straw over the whole floor of the shed area (4x4) and it just turned into a giant toilet :mrgreen: but I'm pretty sure that was mainly Bubbles - Alfie seems to still use the litter tray.

I tend to throw handfuls of fresh hay at them (not literally) and they spread it around where they want it. They have a poo and wee corner, a litter tray, a hutch and then the rest of the floor is hay and shredded paper (their doing). It all gets changed once a week or twice depending on weather etc and their litter trays every day. they often poo in the floor hay too but tend to not wee everywhere to keep it dry. I really would spread it out and cover the floor with it as it is fun for them AND keeps them warm. That's if they don't do it first. :)

Mine have a rug and blanket on the floor and they have a shelf with a blanket on which they snuggle on. They also have a small hutch which I've stuffed with straw so they can go in there if they get cold

Mine have a plastic dog bed and underbed storage boxes full of hay/straw. Theres no way id put hay all over the floor, it'd be one big potty! xXx

Mine have hay all over the floor and only use their litter trays. I do get the stray poo but that's all. I change their litter trays every day but the hay on the floor stays for about 4 weeks, I keep adding to it. It makes the shed warmer and they keep it clean!

Mine have hay all over the floor and only use their litter trays. I do get the stray poo but that's all. I change their litter trays every day but the hay on the floor stays for about 4 weeks, I keep adding to it. It makes the shed warmer and they keep it clean!

Glad to hear what you do! I was worried that I wasn't changing the straw in the run often enough but I change every month and it is always so clean I get annoyed at all the straw I am wasting!! Roll on the summer when we dont need so much of it!!

Back