• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are boys more accident prone?

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
:? :?

just wondering...... I was just thinking about all the bunnies on here with 3 legs and I am sure most of them are male. We have 3, 3-legged bunnies, 2 boys and 1 girl, although one was amputated due to human abuse rather than accident.:(

But I was just wondering if boy bunnies generally get into more scrapes than girl bunnies :)

I have had 2 boys and 4 girls and I seem to find that the girls are pretty intelligent whereas the boys are a bit....ummmm...daft and dopey :oops::oops: which could account for them getting into more pickles. Also, Apache in particular has a very adventurous nature which involves him climbing up/falling off a lot of things, like a kitten except he doesn't always land the right way up! No injuries yet though, touch wood.

My two bridge amputee's were boys, as is my currant amputee.

Trio was an amputee due to getting tangled in rope (not sure of the full story)
Bigwig was thrown from a moving car
Riley had an abscess

Alfie is more accident prone than Bubbles.

The first time I took him to the vets for anything non-routine was when he was about 4 mths old & decided to jump out of his run, face first into the fence and just kind of slid down to the floor, cartoon style. :shock::shock: Luckily, there was no lasting damage but I was mortified at the time and was sure he must have done himself some real harm.

With Alfie, I think it's his adventurous nature (like clutterdrawer described) that gets him into more trouble and just his lack of any brains - he used to try to jump through the glass in the top half of the back door to get indoors and will often just try to jump a 6ft fence, just for the hell of it. :?:? He doesn't get more than 2ft up it, but it doesn't stop him trying. :roll::roll:

With Alfie, I think it's his adventurous nature (like clutterdrawer described) that gets him into more trouble and just his lack of any brains - he used to try to jump through the glass in the top half of the back door to get indoors and will often just try to jump a 6ft fence, just for the hell of it. :?:? He doesn't get more than 2ft up it, but it doesn't stop him trying. :roll::roll:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I genuinely laughed out loud at this!

Apache is just as bad, the best thing I ever saw was when he leaped onto a 3' high box cos he likes to sit on tall things to get a good view....but it had no lid on....and the last thing I saw was his horrified face as he descended in to it :lol::lol:

Skye and Sorrel have been much more sedate, they almost look like they watch him and learn from his mistakes!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I genuinely laughed out loud at this!

Apache is just as bad, the best thing I ever saw was when he leaped onto a 3' high box cos he likes to sit on tall things to get a good view....but it had no lid on....and the last thing I saw was his horrified face as he descended in to it :lol::lol:

Skye and Sorrel have been much more sedate, they almost look like they watch him and learn from his mistakes!

My Pebble(male) does this all the time,:lol::lol: The girls are far too sensible and sit at the bottom waiting to see if it's safe to follow. :love::love:

He has also jumped into the dogs water bowl:roll:, that was on a stand, although he did jump back out faster than her jumped in.:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: It sounds like Alfie and Apache would make a great double act.

I think you have a point.

My boys have definitely been treated for injury (joey running into a wall on his first meeting with laminate floor etc:roll::love:) - & apart from Kendra, none of the girls have.

I think one of my girls must be broken then... she's very clever, but totally nuts; will attempt to jump 6 foot fences, jump into a hutch (once I shut the door) and will run into the patio doors in the hope that she might get in. :roll:

Swear she has ADHD.

Whisper is very sensible though.

Interstingly, health wise my boys seem more robust than the girls, even if they're not as sensible. I wonder whether this is an adaptive thing to help them cope with all the scrapes they get into??!!

Interstingly, health wise my boys seem more robust than the girls, even if they're not as sensible. I wonder whether this is an adaptive thing to help them cope with all the scrapes they get into??!!

So Eddie and Elwood do the things they do because they are boys and not because they are not the brightest bulbs in the box :? :lol::lol:

I have also noticed that there is always a lot more older male rabbits around than female rabbits, so I do think over all boys live longer. Maybe its because not enough people get their females neutered :?

Back