• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I try again?

Should I try again

• Total voters

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
Thought I'd make a poll as I'm now confused about whether I should try to bond the girls again?

I originally thought that I should try again when they've finished their abx, but Liz said that she wouldn't try again....which has made me doubt my decision.

Right now they're living next to each other, and there is no violence between the bars (two sets of bars...not one) and they will lie side by side. They both have free range time in the same space...and they've stopped pooing next to each other's cages, but will still chin things.

Any thoughts? Is it too risky?

Hmmm it's a tricky one, personally I don't think I would try and rebond buns that have hurt each other badly....but it might make a difference when Ruby is spayed I guess.

I tend to think they would have a close bond anyway so they could kick off every spring or if they smelt other bunnies :?

I wonder if anyone has success stories of bun that hurt each other but went on to live happily ever after?

You don't have to take any notice of me :lol::lol:

It is just my personal choice not to continue bonding bunnies that have hurt each other to the extent that they need vet treatment.

Hmmm it's a tricky one, personally I don't think I would try and rebond buns that have hurt each other badly....but it might make a difference when Ruby is spayed I guess.

I tend to think they would have a close bond anyway so they could kick off every spring or if they smelt other bunnies :?

I wonder if anyone has success stories of bun that hurt each other but went on to live happily ever after?

Ruby and Ted ;)

Ted took a chunk out of Ruby. It was a far worse bite than these girly's fight (needed glueing). They are very much in love now.

Vet said that they were superficial...other than the eye one which was in an unfortunate place.

Gah! I don't know...:(:(

Yes id give it a go :) But not until you move house, i think you need totally neutral territory.

When i attempted to bond Ronnie and Lola, Ronnie took a big chunk out of Lolas side, which needed abx. I didnt even attempt to rebond, they went to Trees and Tree said they were an easy bond! Probably because the car journey scares the poo outa Ronnie!

Hope Pixie feels better soon xXx

You don't have to take any notice of me :lol::lol:

It is just my personal choice not to continue bonding bunnies that have hurt each other to the extent that they need vet treatment.

No, Thank you so much for mentioning it before I jumped into something.

I know that it's me who has to make the decision...but value everyones opinion. I just want to do the best for the buns. :? If only I knew what that was in this situation.

personaly id at least deffinatly wait until there are hormone free etc spring isnt the best time to bond bunnies really anyway,

if you seriously want to bond wait, then get someone to bond for you the neutral ground may work better considering the way they were before

Well....in theory I'd seriously like to have them together. It's just whether it's better for them not to.

I know some buns that have had a disagreement early on, and then fell madly in love.

I just don't want to give up on them, when they might be fine, as they really liked each other's company to start with.

Thanks for your comments people! :D:D Tis greatly appreciated!

I've been away too long :shock:
When I took a RU break, you had one frenchie and Ruby was incomming.

Now you have four?! When did that happen!!

Sorry I have no advice on the bonding front :lol: But I think areia's advice sounds great, definately try on neutral ground.

ETA I mean if you were to try, to keep it neutral. Not definately try! I can't say whether you should or shouldn't try as I have no idea of the past experiences. *dissappears to search through some old threads*

I've been away too long :shock:
When I took a RU break, you had one frenchie and Ruby was incomming.

Now you have four?! When did that happen!!

Sorry I have no advice on the bonding front :lol: But I think areia's advice sounds great, definately try on neutral ground.

ETA I mean if you were to try, to keep it neutral. Not definately try! I can't say whether you should or shouldn't try as I have no idea of the past experiences. *dissappears to search through some old threads*

:lol::lol::lol: Yes...the wonderfulness of being single! Tis just me who makes the decisions, bunneh-wise! ;)

Bluebell is from Brinsley Rescue, and Pixie is a private rescue. (Roobs is 5 months now btb...you've been gone far too long! Missed piccies of the beautiful young lady!!)

When Storm was a baby, Moonshine opened her cage (she is a real life houdini!) ran downstairs and threw Storm into a wall, making her scream.
There was no physical injuries, and now they live together with my ther 3 as a group.

HOWEVER

I recently tried to add another bun, and though there was no physical injuries, had I not intercepted, I knew they would have fought to the death.

When Storm was a baby, Moonshine opened her cage (she is a real life houdini!) ran downstairs and threw Storm into a wall, making her scream.
There was no physical injuries, and now they live together with my ther 3 as a group.

HOWEVER

I recently tried to add another bun, and though there was no physical injuries, had I not intercepted, I knew they would have fought to the death.

:shock:.....so.....:shock: ?

I don't like having decisions! :lol::lol: I guess if I trust my gut I'd give it another go. (I can easily wait until I move.) I don't want to give up on them...:?

im surprised hardly anyone has said wait until after the spay, after all the stories on here of failed bonded due to one not being spayed, as they've had a fight before this is why im stressing the wait,

sorry to sound bossy just got a gut feeling:oops:, i know what a nightmare it is to wait, ive got 5 buns to try and bond yet:shock:, how old is ruby now, when can she get spayed

I'd say do what you feel is best for your rabbits.

My girls were all traumatised and in shock after recent bonding efforts, so I decided straight away never to put them through it again. It was in MY interest to want them to live together, not their own.

It's weighing up if you think they will work realistically.
I would not do it for a while until all rabbits are neutered and have recovered emotionally.

im surprised hardly anyone has said wait until after the spay, after all the stories on here of failed bonded due to one not being spayed, as they've had a fight before this is why im stressing the wait,

sorry to sound bossy just got a gut feeling:oops:, i know what a nightmare it is to wait, ive got 5 buns to try and bond yet:shock:, how old is ruby now, when can she get spayed

Sorry....realised that the option is confusing.

Ruby is 5 months now. She is happily bonded to her Buncle Teddy, and the two are taking great delight in pooing in the living room where the two girls were.

Pixie and Bluebell are now upstairs in adjacent pens. These are the two that had a fight and so I separated them. They're both spayed.

I wouldn't even consider trying to bond the four until Roobs is spayed....that's just a recipe for wrong!:shock: :lol:

If i am understanding right, you have the two spayed females that have had a scuffle and you are asking if you should try again, well yes 100% My four have had their scuffles etc. you just need to try again, neutral space following all the usual bonding rules, bonds arn't always instant but it will be worth it in the end!!

Sorry....realised that the option is confusing.

Ruby is 5 months now. She is happily bonded to her Buncle Teddy, and the two are taking great delight in pooing in the living room where the two girls were.

Pixie and Bluebell are now upstairs in adjacent pens. These are the two that had a fight and so I separated them. They're both spayed.

I wouldn't even consider trying to bond the four until Roobs is spayed....that's just a recipe for wrong!:shock: :lol:

ahhhhhhhhh ok 2 spayed girls had one fight, now you wana try again, sorry.
hmmmmmm if i tried again i would either get a rescue to bond or at least start the bond in a car in the same carrier, tiz a toughy one, deffinatly wouldnt do it in the same room or within sniffing distance of you other pair

im actually thinking perhaps the 4 maybe better one fiesty girl has to deal with 3 then not 1, but then im also fully aware it could still go :censored: up too

ahhhhhhhhh ok 2 spayed girls had one fight, now you wana try again, sorry.
hmmmmmm if i tried again i would either get a rescue to bond or at least start the bond in a car in the same carrier, tiz a toughy one, deffinatly wouldnt do it in the same room or within sniffing distance of you other pair

im actually thinking perhaps the 4 maybe better one fiesty girl has to deal with 3 then not 1, but then im also fully aware it could still go :censored: up too

They're upstairs, and Ted and Roobs are downstairs at the moment. It'll be the same at the new house. I thought that two two's might be easier to bond than a two and two singles. (Not that I expect it to be at all easy :lol::lol:)

I have all the time in the world. I'm in no rush to do it. They're happy, all have space, and the upstairs two have free range time each.

I'm much for the softly, softly approach where bonding is concerned...and it's that that's bonded all my pairs before. Never tried two girls though. It doesn't scare me, so I'm not all tense with the buns. I prefer to start off with them together on my lap rather than bunging them together and let them sort it out. (I know some people will disagree with my method.) It was unfortunate that they had a fight. :(

after eric and esme fell out, i kept them separate to calm down as we were about to move house too. i followed all of the advice on re-bonding and the territory couldn't have been any more neutral than a new house. i took it very slowly, gradually increasing space etc. they were 'ok' for about a week then they had a major bust up which resulted in esme biting eric's face.

sadly, they are separate now and will stay that way. eric's a stressy rabbit anyway and he's had a fair few health problems so for me, its not worth the risk of trying them again as i fear i'd end up with 2 unhappy rabbits - or worse:(

eta: go with your gut instinct. not very helpful advice i'm afraid but you know your buns best:)

Back