• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD jab, useless vet now stasis NOT happy

Biscuit Bunny

Alpha Buck
Well took Biscuit in for her yearly VHD jab yesterday.

I forgot to ask which vet we had so partly my fault, well she came out and bellowed our name then proceded to shout really loudly, she then yanked poor Biscuit out of her carry case by the scruff of the neck and couldn't handle her to save her life, poor bunny was skidding all over the table and she was really rough with her, even though she is the most laid back bunny you could meet, in the end I cradled her in my arms.

Then before I could even say anything she jabbed the needle in Biscuit's side and shoved her back in the basket.

Well needless to say Biscuit stopped eating last night, so had to medicate her and stopped again this morning, so mad, she has been doing so well and hadn't had an episode for ages.

Poor Biscuit and what a horrible vet! Honestly, if you can't be caring and sensitive to animals, why do the job? Joe's jabs have never been in his side, always the scruff of his neck or ear.

I don't know anything about Biscuits previous problems but I'm sending good vibes she gets eating again soon. I know when Joejoes off his food wet fresh herbs always tempt him.

Poor Biscuit and what a horrible vet! Honestly, if you can't be caring and sensitive to animals, why do the job? Joe's jabs have never been in his side, always the scruff of his neck or ear.

I don't know anything about Biscuits previous problems but I'm sending good vibes she gets eating again soon. I know when Joejoes off his food wet fresh herbs always tempt him.

Thanks for this :)

I am now at work so my hubby is giving me updates, she is now eating some hay and bits of breakfast so fingers crossed.

I have never experienced any vet jabbing bunny in the side either, last time the vet told me that they did it at back of neck as bunnies have less nerves there so not painful.

I have a good mind to have a word but they are a good vets so don't want to make waves, but left feeling a bit upset yesterday.

If they are a good vet they will understand.

There was quite a nasty vet where i used to live. All the animals hated her but she was chief vet at the biggest practice in a small place!! (I never went there though ;)) She was famed for putting animals down - her solution to EVERYTHING espesh rats, gunis and buns.

She was killed when a load of cows trampled her.

Karma?

Thats promising that she's having a go at some food now, lets hope she continues to pick up as they day goes on.

I know what you mean about not wanting to make waves, i've nto been entirely happy with some of the treatment Joejoe has had lately whenever the non-rabbit expert vet hasn't seen him (like them sending him home with a big plaster round his ear after his last general anasethetic telling me to take it off when i got him home, only to discover a glass tube with a thin tubular/needly thing still inserted in his ear which then profusely bled everywhere when i took it out :censored:) but on the whole they have been very good so don't want to cause any bad feeling.

Let us know how she gets on x

Thats promising that she's having a go at some food now, lets hope she continues to pick up as they day goes on.

I know what you mean about not wanting to make waves, i've nto been entirely happy with some of the treatment Joejoe has had lately whenever the non-rabbit expert vet hasn't seen him (like them sending him home with a big plaster round his ear after his last general anasethetic telling me to take it off when i got him home, only to discover a glass tube with a thin tubular/needly thing still inserted in his ear which then profusely bled everywhere when i took it out :censored:) but on the whole they have been very good so don't want to cause any bad feeling.

Let us know how she gets on x

OMG that is awful

Will do :wave:

OMG Poor Biscuit! :cry:

She sounds like a very cruel person and one that should not be allowed to treat animals if thats what she thinks the right treatment is! I would write a letter of complaint as Tim has said.
I have had to do this on 2 occasions.

Thats got to be againt the vetinary code of conduct. I would write and complain and if nothings done tell them you'll take it further. Poor biscuit i would love to jab a needle in her leg and see how she likes it.:censored: uncaring cow. Sorry it just makes me mad that they get paid for that treatment.

Thanks for this :)

I am now at work so my hubby is giving me updates, she is now eating some hay and bits of breakfast so fingers crossed.

I have never experienced any vet jabbing bunny in the side either, last time the vet told me that they did it at back of neck as bunnies have less nerves there so not painful.

I have a good mind to have a word but they are a good vets so don't want to make waves, but left feeling a bit upset yesterday.

How weird vaccinating on a Sunday and clearly they are NOT a good vet, I hold my rabbit for vaccinations and try to make the vets life as easy as possible. This sounds like bad practice and I would be writing a letter of complaint about it. It is absolutely not necessary in 99% of cases to scruff rabbits and unless they are used to it, it is highly stressful. I would have hit the bloody roof frankly and the vet probably!!!!

As if going to the vets isn't stressful enough for our buns (and subsequently us!) The last thing they need is a clumsy, loud and very unprofessional oaf picking them up by the scruff and jabbing them in the side. Which I agree is very unusual. Most certainly the stress of the ordeal brought on your Buns probs (I'm assuming stasis, as this can be triggered by stress??) and could have seriously affected her.
I think you should definatly write an anonymous letter of complaint about her, she needs to be taught to treat our bunnys like the members of our families that they are.
I hope your lovely bun is getting better now. Please keep us posted :)

If they are a good vet they will understand.

There was quite a nasty vet where i used to live. All the animals hated her but she was chief vet at the biggest practice in a small place!! (I never went there though ;)) She was famed for putting animals down - her solution to EVERYTHING espesh rats, gunis and buns.

She was killed when a load of cows trampled her.

Karma?

LMAO!!! I had to laugh at that. Poor animals :(

I hope no cows got hurt :p

I think I would complain too. At my old vets I had a locum vet do a vac on Bailey, he's a very well behaved little man, she didn't know how to handle him and nearly dropped him. He's been terrified of anyone handling except me ever since.

Great advice above!

Just to add...You should never hold a bun whilst they're given the VHD jab. If Biscuit had squirmed and she had got you instead you'd be extremely ill right now. (I know you had no choice in this instance, but in the future it's good to know!:))

Poor Biscuit! :( Complain!

Great advice above!

Just to add...You should never hold a bun whilst they're given the VHD jab. If Biscuit had squirmed and she had got you instead you'd be extremely ill right now. (I know you had no choice in this instance, but in the future it's good to know!:))

Poor Biscuit! :( Complain!

I agree that you should be careful holding your pet when a needle is used,i have a friend that was having a cat pts and the vet put the needle through the cat and into my friends hand.:shock:

I agree that you should be careful holding your pet when a needle is used,i have a friend that was having a cat pts and the vet put the needle through the cat and into my friends hand.:shock:

its actually a very dangerous vaccination the vhd one to humans you can have a hand ammputated etc if get jabbed so not to be taken lightly however this vet is terribly cruel i would complain and i htink i would probebly have hit the vet iv had rough vets before but nothing to this degree x

Sorry first post was very unclear, I held her while she checked teeth etc, then she grabbed her off me put on table and jabbed in her side, so I wasn't at risk at all, so she wasn't totally useless after all.

OMG hope your friend is ok
Its actually a pretty funny story :D She was holding the cat and felt a sting from the needle and told the vet"i think you put the needle in my hand"and the vet laughed and said,"of course not!why would i do that!"A few moments later she got very ill and was rushed to the hospital.It all ended well,this was 20 years ago and she is still alive to tell the story!:D

Back