• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP please! R.E Pixie's bite

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
The emergancy vet gave me the baytril doses so both girls are having a course of abx.

Pixie's skin around the bite has gone blue though. Could she be bleeding under the skin, or is it just bruising? It's quite widespread for bruising.

She's going for a check up tomorrow, but do I need to take her as an emergency now if she might be bleeding under the skin?! :(

She's fine in herself, and has even granted me with a wee on the rug!:lol:

Thanks in advance

It is probably necrotic (dead) tissue.
Hard to say without being able to see it. As she's already on abx and OK within herself I think she'll be fine to wait til tomorrow morning to see the Vet.

I'm very lucky she's so friendly! :lol::lol: I've been checking her all over....again and again.

I think I'll try and get an earlier appointment for the girls tomorrow (Current one is in the afternoon.) I'm meant to be having an eye test...but will be worrying all morning if I don't go earlier!:roll:

Her other bite's the same...but on a much smaller scale. I think it's the sheer size that's scaring me. It's hot to the touch...but she's been running around for an hour, and is hot anyway, so I don't think it's just that area.

Thanks Jane...I've never had bites to deal with!

I've just had a proper look and feel of her eye wound and whilst it's healing fine there's a pea sized lump under it...:shock: Can abscesses form so quickly? It's in a delicate place.:(

:( I feel so bad that this happened in the first place!:(

Best of luck. From what I've read, I think that abcesses can indeed form very quickly.

Good luck at the vets.

Yes abscess can form in a matter of hours, which is why I advised a vet visit on the other thread. Rabbit bites can be nasty things, you can never tell how deep they are.

I hope Pixie will be OK xx

Good luck at the vets.

Yes abscess can form in a matter of hours, which is why I advised a vet visit on the other thread. Rabbit bites can be nasty things, you can never tell how deep they are.

I hope Pixie will be OK xx

I know :oops: I doubt they would have done anything though......I need to find me a better emergancy vet! :roll:

He said to keep up the abx. It could be start of an abscess, but could just be scar tissue forming. I am ladened with baytril ;) and just need to keep an eye on it. :)shock: geddit?:lol:) She got many a comment about how beautiful she was, and even got a gasp! ;) She was such a good girl.

Thank you for your advice. I'll find a better emergency vet......could just go back the the old one...it's a journey, but worth it. Sorry for not taking your advice Liz....I just have no faith in the one I have now. :(

Met another bunny mummy in the vets, and pointed her towards the forum. She has the most beautiful harli boy. She said that she'd love to learn more, as he was an accidental rescue....found him hopping about the street, still has him 2 years on! :lol::lol:

Don't worry I know what its like to have a rubbish emergency vets :roll: I blame the buns, they always choose a Sunday to have a major crisis :lol:
Hopefully she will be on the mend soon :)

What are you planning to about bonding them now?

Don't worry I know what its like to have a rubbish emergency vets :roll: I blame the buns, they always choose a Sunday to have a major crisis :lol:
Hopefully she will be on the mend soon :)

What are you planning to about bonding them now?

I'm not fazed. I'll try again after I've finished the abx! :)

They WILL bond! :shock:

If a rabbit has been that badly bitten by another rabbit I personally wouldn't try it again as it dosn't seeem fair on the bunny.

Are you bonding two unrelated females? That can always be problematic as they are still so territorial even when neutered. But maybe I am just a bonding wuss :lol:

If a rabbit has been that badly bitten by another rabbit I personally wouldn't try it again as it dosn't seeem fair on the bunny.

Are you bonding two unrelated females? That can always be problematic as they are still so territorial even when neutered. But maybe I am just a bonding wuss :lol:

They're un-related. They got on really well to start with...and I don't think it was about territory...but I moved them too soon.

The vet said that they are superficial bites. The eye one was worse, as it was a puncture...but not serious.

I'm so confused now! :? :oops:

ETA: thank you so much!:) I wouldn't want to do something stupid.
I've done a poll so I can get other peoples advise. I think where bonding is concerned everyone is different.

re: the hard lump under the skin.

One of ours bit the other when they were frisky and hormonal before/just after the neuter. We didn't realise until we were stroking Smudge and found a hard ridge/lump under the skin. You had to look closely to see it was a bite and had broken the skin - the hard lump was scar tissue. It went after a week or so.

Ours are separate now after they had a big fall out later on (they are two neutered boys), but I am going to try re-bonding once the weather gets better. I will try the long bonding method though as they are aware of each other, just not in contact.

Back