• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my herbs keep wilting and dying!!! *grown some of my own!!*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
i get coriander, basil and sometimes parsley but they never last very long, and since bisc and matt are only having coriander, basil and thyme at the moment, it isn't too great!! :roll: i keep having to send dan to top up on them from asda half way through the week! :roll:

any tips?

they are in the kitchen, basil and parsley on the windowsill and coriander just on the unit. i take the packaging off and i water them, but they never last long. :(

Last edited:
I have this problem too :( I thought i was just a pants herb grower :lol: The grow fine in the summer in patio pots, but i cant seem to keep them alive indoors :?

I don't buy all mine as plants, I get the packets of bunched basil in Asda aswell as the plants for this reason they seem to last longer in the fridge, still only 2 days max though. I find washing them and drying them on kitchen roll then putting them in a bowl in the fridge can prolong the life a bit, I do rinse them again before feeding to freshen them up. I keep finding the dill selling out at my local Asda and suspect an RU member is beating me to it!!:evil::lol:

the herbs you buy from supermarkets have never seen the sun. They are force grown and meant to be consumed by thier sell by date, i know its frustratng but they are not meant to be grown on. And arn;t they expensive! Iv spent a fortune on herbs this winter as even the bramble seems to have stopped growing in these freezing temperatures.

What are they growing in? Plants need sun, water and nutrients. It might also be they've had all their roots chopped off.

You may well be overwatering, this is a common problem.
Certainly coriander and basil are plants that don't like to be wet.

what rabbitapril said is true - most supermarket bought "live" herbs aren't suitable for growing on.

There was a thing in which?gardening a while ago where they experimented to find the best ways of keeping supermarket herbs going. I think some of them did quite well when they were separated out (they're actually loads of little plants in one pot, not one big plant) and grown on outside in individual pots. You could try mint too if you haven't already - it's pretty much unkillable, i often buy a pot, cut it right down for the buns, fling the remains into a flowerbed and it regenerates a week or so later - I have a whole border of mint now :shock:

You'd be better off though growing some from seed and bringing on nice strong healthy plants that way. another thing I find is that I cut them so drastically to provide bunny food that they never get chance to recover :love:

to be honest, they did better when i forgot to water them! :oops::lol:

they were disgusted when i gave them mint! never seen them shudder like that before! :lol:

i think i will try growing some outside when the weather gets a bit better. can't see me doing that well though!

i am going to try them with dill this week as that is kept in the fridge. have to be careful with bisc though, his tum is so sensitive.

what other herbs can they have that are kept in the fridge, or are there any plants that can be grown outside and fed daily?

i already feed dried herbs because they can't tolerate much veg.

eta: i got some trial size packets of orchard grass and plantain from planet guinea recently. would these be ok?

Last edited:
the herbs you buy from supermarkets have never seen the sun. They are force grown and meant to be consumed by thier sell by date, i know its frustratng but they are not meant to be grown on. And arn;t they expensive! Iv spent a fortune on herbs this winter as even the bramble seems to have stopped growing in these freezing temperatures.

agree with this, alot of herbs will not even start growing properly untill the spring, i have been lucky with potting out parsley from supermarkets outdoors,

parsley doesnt have a long life anyway they are prone to bolting(suddenly growing straight up and going to seed,) the max iveever made a parsley last is 3 years,

basil and corri wont last long even at this time of year on your window sill due to flutuating temps in your home and lack of proper sunlight

When you venture to growing you own outside you could try Lemon Balm, mine love it and it was very easy to get going, it makes a nice bushy plant maybe a foot high so lots of munching. I have grown my own coriander from seed in the past inside without too much trouble.

When I had a greenhouse I transplanted some of the Dandelions in to the bed in there so they were available in to the winter!

lemon balm *is* good - another one that I butcher on a daily basis, yet it always springs back to life!

what do you mean by "herbs that are kept in the fridge"??

i started them on dill today and they both ate it! :D will be building up the amount really slowly as bisc is so senstive. glad they like it though. :)

things like thyme, rosemary, dill say on the packet to keep them in the fridge and they last longer that way. :)

lemon balm sounds like a good one from what people have said so i might try that aswell in a few weeks after the dill.

does anyone feed lemon thyme?? never heard anyone mention it but it is in asda with the other herbs so may be ok?? :?

There's nothing different about those herbs, it's just how they're packaged - you can get cut basil, parsley and coriander and keep it in the fridge too, if they like those. :)

I have fed mine lemon thyme before :) although I normally just use it in a delicious broad bean and tomato stew for humans :lol:

I got parsley last Sat and Basil on Sunday in pots and their fine still - I keep my kitchen cold so the rabbits can come indoors at night - could the temp have anything to do with it. They're on a cold bright window ledge. The rosemary in the bag seems ok kept in the fridge since Sunday too.

Mine love lemon thyme. The thing I like about growing herbs is you can get all different varieties which you can't get in the shops. I've got chocolate mint, pineapple mint, lemon balm, rosemary, lavender & thyme which has survived the winter. I got some coriander, parsley, basil and sage the other day to grow on from the garden centre which is in the green house. Dill is another good one to grow from seed.

Yes I think if it's growing plants your after get them from the garden centre, I agree with what was said earlier, all the fresh herbs in packets are cut from plants and need to be refrigerated but, can last a good couple of days. Dill should be fine, it's apparently got medicinal properties so in fact may well be good for tummies that are a bit tricky. I do wash all mine thoroughly though aswell, watercress and dill is a good combination for a sensitive tum i think.

i have bought some seeds and compost and when i have bought some trays and pots etc, i am going to attempt to grow my own herbs and things. :? don't have a clue what i'm doing but hopefully they will turn out ok. :roll::lol:

Well good luck - remember most of the Mediteranean herbs like it nice and warm and not too wet, so sharp drainage for them ie a suitable growing medium or mix some sand/fine gravel in with your compost :wave:

Back