• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hello newbie here

gypsie

New Kit
a big hello to you all :wave:

ive come on here because ime getting a baby rabbit tomorrow which ive been asked to keep as a indoor rabbit which ive no problems with wotso ever but i've not had a rabbit since my child hood which were kept in hutches

so please any advice regarding keeping bunnies in doors ide be grateful :wave:

ps the bunnie is only 6 weeks old and ime already gonna be the 3rd owner ie - owner of mum - sold to another lady - now ime having her :(

Hi, welcome to RU! :wave:

Do you have to take the kit tomorrow, or can she stay with mum for another couple of weeks? 6 weeks is really too young to be taken from her mother. Could you maybe take one of her littermates too? Buns are very social animals and really need the companionship of another bun, as well as a loving hoomin mummy. :D

Hi, welcome to RU! :wave:

Do you have to take the kit tomorrow, or can she stay with mum for another couple of weeks? 6 weeks is really too young to be taken from her mother. Could you maybe take one of her littermates too? Buns are very social animals and really need the companionship of another bun, as well as a loving hoomin mummy. :D

:wave: yes I agree with above, there are lots of house bunnies on here, you need to have a suitable size pen or dog crate with playpen attached or some use the NIC cubes but, in your case it will be quicker probably to get a dog crate or playpen from pets at home or something.

What were you planning on using at housing? Obviously if the bunny can be free range that is great but, initially for a couple of weeks to settle and litter train it I think it's worth containing the bun in a smaller area. You ideally need lino underneath and a litter tray, water bowl and bottle, food and some nice soft warm bedding like fleece blankets would be good for a baby. Lots of hay for the litter tray and ideally a hay rack aswell. When the bunny poo's or wee's outside of the tray you need to pick them up or soak up the wee in kitchen roll and squeeze it into the tray, you need to be patient and consistent with this, if you see the bunny using the tray reward them but, don't tell them off for not using it, just pick up the mess and put it in the tray. Also try to position the tray where the bunny favours going. For the first day it may be worth covering half the playpen area with hay or some puppy pads so you can identify which corner the bun prefers. Ensure there are no drafts and provide lots of peace and quiet. Avoid picking the bun up too much, sit on the floor and let the bunny come to you first and then gently rub the bridge of the nose and head. Talking to your bunny will help aswell. You may need to put a net over the top as your bunny becomes more confident it will try to jump out. You can buy lots of good toys and tunnels and blankets etc on here aswell as hay and food - I particularly like the grass mats as they are good floor coverings and good for chewing etc

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Tunnels,+Tents+%2526+Mats.8/?osCsid=9mokt4q6os9rcqn24575lgta93

Good luck with your new bunny, lots of love and patience, it will be completely bewildered and frightened for some time after the ordeal of leaving its litter and the journey etc so don't expect instant bonding, it will take time. xx

Hi and welcome to RU Gypsie :wave:

I'm afraid I have no experience of indoor bunnies but there are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum who can offer you some good advice.

Best wishes :wave:

hi everyone :wave:

the baby is already away from mum she was sold to a petshop then the lady who ime getting her off felt sorry for her and bought her she's had her 2 weeks but her work load has increased so she asked if we would take her and keep her as a indoor bunny , she has got a bed and litter tray that she wee's in but wont poo in it ??

ive got a large dog cage with removeable tray and ive also got a cat igloo that i was going to put down for her

she will have full access with us in the living room but she will be locked in the cage at nights tho [ due to owning dogs/cats]

ime a bit concerend about her being young so can you suggest best food to feed her plz and also ive been told not to feed veg or fruit to bunnies under 12 weeks old ..is this true ?

Hello and welcome :wave:

As regards food you need to find out what the rabbit has been eating so far and keep her to that without making any changes for a few weeks until she is settled in her new (and hopefully forever home). Then you can gradually change her to the optimum diet of 90% hay, High fibre pellets (Science Selective are a good one) and a little veg. All changes need to be made one at a time over a period of about 2 weeks.

Please look around the site, use the search option if you like, and read up on how to make your home bunny safe (eg, bunnies love to chew wires so these need to be made safe - remembering bunnies are good jumpers and can squeeze in to tiny spaces!) what foods are safe for bunny, what vaccinations they need and what to look out for regarding health. I would recommend you get bunny to a vet for a check up asap and report the petshop for selling pets that are too young to leave their mother.

Back