PDA

View Full Version : Bunny Boarding...

XMissySJx
21-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Is getting so competitive now. When i first started in 2007 there was only 2 or 3 in the whole of essex, and now theres so many. We still get alot of bookings and all our regulars still come here and are very loyal, but its getting so competitive now were struggling to get extra boarders.

I did consider closing the boarding as my allergies are so bad, but they seem to be under control for now.

Easter is 50% full and im normally turning people away at this point. Not going well currently.

Its such a shame i love doing it, and have always had happy boarders+happy owners, but its getting so competitive now i hope we can keep up

:(

donnamt
21-02-2010, 07:47 PM
awww hun it might just be people cant afford to go away right now.. like you say you have loyal customers who will recommend you to thier pals. but if people cant go away they wont use boarding :(

Rhian33
21-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Hope it picks up for you soon. It may also be down to the fact that people don't have money to go away at the moment so might just be planning summer holidays instead.

LilVicky
21-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Hope it picks up for you soon.

Becky86
21-02-2010, 07:50 PM
People just dont have money to go away at the moment :? We normally have 2 holidays a year, yet this year we cant afford to go at all :(

*Spider*
21-02-2010, 07:51 PM
People just dont have money to go away at the moment :? We normally have 2 holidays a year, yet this year we cant afford to go at all :(

This is very true :(
We were supposed to be going skiing this holiday, and tis is the first time we haven't been in YEARS :(

mini lop1
21-02-2010, 08:27 PM
hope it picks up soon for you, it may as others have said be because many people havn't got the money to go away now, im going to my sisters wedding in september, and im soo happy to have the peace of mind that my bunnies will be well cared for at bunnyhops with kayj :) im just glad that she is nearby, and if it wasn't for this forum, don't know what id do :)

holidayhutch
21-02-2010, 08:43 PM
It has been slower this year in certain months, but for February we have had one hutch empty compared to 5 last year, so I think things are picking up.
We are over half full already for the summer too and easter and May bank holiday are doing well. We do tend to find that people leave it till last minute to book their buns somewhere. We turned people away last year we were that busy so am sure things will improve uk wide soon. You also might want to consider advertising further afield.
We have people who travel to us, even though they live on the same street as other boarding places, as our hutches meet minimum requirements and are clean and we have bunny knowledge and a rabbit savvy vet at hand. The furthest comes from over 100 miles away every year, so dont give up hope.

Boudicca
21-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Well Im doing my bit ;) altho you might regret it!!! I wasn't aware of any new bunny boarders in Essex I know of one in Braintree but Im sure that one is associated with a breeder *shudder* There was one opened near me but they also take cats, dogs etc When I was looking for a place I would never have entrusted my babies to anybody who takes on other pets as well! You have a fab website with excellent comments Im sure anyone looking for a boarding place for buns would come to you first! The downturn must be to do with people not going on hols, Im sure it will pick up!

XMissySJx
21-02-2010, 09:35 PM
thats the problem, we get enquiries and then they phone up and say they found somewhere cheaper. and i dont think were massively expensive, you get what you pay for, we include hay, veggies and toys and everything is new, new boarding room, 6 x 2 x 2 hutches, big metal runs but it all comes at a cost.

One person who came to me said they looked somewhere 3 a night and it was 3 ft hutches but it was full, and then she came to me and saw you get so much more for you money she would never go there, but i guess people just want cheap!

i spose if an owner has a 3ft hutch, they wont mind if the boarder does will they!

LilVicky
22-02-2010, 10:40 AM
thats the problem, we get enquiries and then they phone up and say they found somewhere cheaper. and i dont think were massively expensive, you get what you pay for, we include hay, veggies and toys and everything is new, new boarding room, 6 x 2 x 2 hutches, big metal runs but it all comes at a cost.

One person who came to me said they looked somewhere 3 a night and it was 3 ft hutches but it was full, and then she came to me and saw you get so much more for you money she would never go there, but i guess people just want cheap!

i spose if an owner has a 3ft hutch, they wont mind if the boarder does will they!

That is terrible!
If they are soo cheap, surely the quality of care cant be that great?
like you said, 3 for a 3ft hutch, that isnt even big enough for a piggy let alone a rabbit :(
Places like that should be shut down :evil:

XMissySJx
22-02-2010, 01:10 PM
That is terrible!
like you said, 3 for a 3ft hutch, that isnt even big enough for a piggy let alone a rabbit :(
Places like that should be shut down :evil:

very very true!

we charge 6 for a hutch with a pair, 4 for a single. hutch is still 6 x 2 x 2. its the care that makes it go up.

We charge 10 a night for the indoor accomodation now as its been made bigger, newly repainted etc.

i personally dont think its too expensive!

LilVicky
22-02-2010, 01:12 PM
very very true!

we charge 6 for a hutch with a pair, 4 for a single. hutch is still 6 x 2 x 2. its the care that makes it go up.

We charge 10 a night for the indoor accomodation now as its been made bigger, newly repainted etc.

i dont think thats expensive either.. :?
I think thats about right, plus you give them fresh veg, hay etc

But i guess people who dont really care too much about how the buns will be living while they are away, probably sitting in a nice hotel will go for the cheapest option going :(
Poor little buns.

HoppingBinky
22-02-2010, 01:59 PM
I think thats really cheap. I know for a fact if i ever went away i would want all 7 of mine somewere like yours. Just a thought do you advertise in the vets? I got some really useful numbers and information from mine.
I'm sure it will pick up soon when people can afford to go away.

Amy104
22-02-2010, 02:06 PM
That is terrible!

This isn't always true. Where I boarded my lot in Jan they charged 90. That was for 6 buns and 2 piggies for 10 days. They were in large hutches, with run access everyday lots of hay and veggies. The lovely people that run it do it because its something they enjoy, they don't make any money from it at all.

RubyTed
22-02-2010, 04:19 PM
I paid 160 for a week, for three buns. You're not expensive at all! Really reasonable!:D

XMissySJx
22-02-2010, 04:40 PM
thing is, i find you either have to be cheap because you dont want to make money, or cheap the quality of care isnt great.

I personally do not want to get up at 7am to start my boarding day and be busy all day with it, for no profit, its my business, its how i earn money, and im happy to say that.

I dont know, its not terrible but it just makes you feel a bit naff when theres so many people doing it now, especially so cheap and i pride myself of being good at it.

RubyTed
22-02-2010, 04:46 PM
thing is, i find you either have to be cheap because you dont want to make money, or cheap the quality of care isnt great.

I personally do not want to get up at 7am to start my boarding day and be busy all day with it, for no profit, its my business, its how i earn money, and im happy to say that.

I dont know, its not terrible but it just makes you feel a bit naff when theres so many people doing it now, especially so cheap and i pride myself of being good at it.

Are you just open when you're home, or does your mum do it when you're not there?

Could you advertise more?

XMissySJx
22-02-2010, 05:05 PM
were open all year round but to a quarter of the usual capacity when its just mum. But we only ever have one or 2 a week while its not peak time.

We did run a promotion over summer where you got free pampered piggies goodies which went down well :lol:

ivor Middleton
23-02-2010, 10:05 PM
We go from Barnsley to Sheffield for 3 per night for our 2 buns , 8ft hutches for rabbits, outdoor runs and great care , with rabbit savvy vets on 24 standby. I have been more than happy to take them there , sadly the attitude of some Barnsley boarding places isn't what it should be, and they don't have outdoor bun runs for long periods of the day, where as where my buns go they are out into runs at 7.30 am , with water and hay etc, they come in again early to late evening, also they are supervised , checked on regulary throughout the day.

holidayhutch
23-02-2010, 10:20 PM
LOL That's funny as we do really well with people from Sheffield despite there being several bunny boarding places there.

Feedback and letters from customers have clearly stated about poor conditions, lack of hygiene and failure to check vaccinations in other local boarding establishments and being left in the care of students and school kids which they dont consider is adequate supervision. They know when they come here they will get 24 hour professional care from rabbit savvy people and we DO do what we say we do.

SJ if you give good service you dont always need to advertise. We haven't advertised now for 3 years and 90% of our business is via word of mouth. We are even recommended by our vets, police and local rescues so we must be doing something right. I'm sure you are too hun and things will pick up again soon.

Gem
24-02-2010, 12:30 AM
I'd pay SJ's prices if she were closer....I know they'd be well looked after :wave: :D

We charge 3 a night single and 4 a night for pairs with 6 foot hutches, am wondering if thats too cheap :?

SarahP
24-02-2010, 09:28 AM
I'll definitely be wanting to board my bunnies with you with I get them again! :wave: Have you tried advertising in the vets locally?

Boudicca, I know the one you mean... ;)

bunniemum
24-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I recomended you to a lady who rang me the other day, but I think you were a just bit too far from this way for her. :D

Hessen
24-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Sorry to be so daft, but what's Bunny Boarding? :oops:

bunniemum
24-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Sorry to be so daft, but what's Bunny Boarding? :oops:

It's where your bunnies go and stay for their holidays, when you go for your's :)

Hessen
24-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Oh right. :oops:

We never go on holidays, so haven't had to look into it :)

waggytailstina
26-02-2010, 08:44 AM
remove post please as this was not supposed to be placed her but reported to your team for removal

RubyTed
26-02-2010, 08:51 AM
please remove this post as I have now recieved 12 phone calls from my customers regarding Holiday hutches posting even though there is no names mentioned they have identified my self , which isn't fair when the allegations holiday hutches is making isn't true! I will be taking legal advice today again sadly ! this is not something I take lightly and certainly didn't join this forum for any of this , rabbits are my passion not just a job
Thanks Tina

I don't understand what she's meant to have done...and what legal action could be taken! :?

There are no allegations made about anyone, and you yourself have just brought yourself into the mix. Holiday Hutches never named you, or any other boarding place. ........:?

Suzanne
26-02-2010, 09:01 AM
I don't understand what she's meant to have done...and what legal action could be taken! :?

There are no allegations made about anyone, and you yourself have just brought yourself into the mix. Holiday Hutches never named you, or any other boarding place. ........:?

I agree. I thought Holiday Hutch was talking in general and not speicfying anyone in particular. :? Although it seems you have now identified yourself.

Amy104
26-02-2010, 10:37 AM
I agree
establishments implys plural, Holiday hutches wasn't implying anyone in particular it was just a generalisation based on comments shes had from boarders who live in that area.

XMissySJx
26-02-2010, 12:03 PM
please remove this post as I have now recieved 12 phone calls from my customers regarding Holiday hutches posting even though there is no names mentioned they have identified my self , which isn't fair when the allegations holiday hutches is making isn't true! I will be taking legal advice today again sadly ! this is not something I take lightly and certainly didn't join this forum for any of this , rabbits are my passion not just a job
Thanks Tina

if you took legal action you wouldnt get anywhere because she hasnt named anyone therefore you couldn prove it was anything to do with you.

someone came to me once when a boarder lives 3 doors down from them, thats fact. because they prefered me, its certainly not slander etc.

x

louise and Gus
26-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I would always recommend you to anyone SJ :wave: :wave: I don't think you are expensive at all, especially for the service you get and accommodation you have.

Gem
26-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks Tina

Surely you've just admitted your establishment is unsuitable? :?

RubyTed
26-02-2010, 12:24 PM
The fact that you've had to get legal advise of the same nature before worries me slightly. I looked at your website and have no reason to doubt that you know bunnies, and have happy customers......so why all this?

XMissySJx
26-02-2010, 12:59 PM
i also think its a bit unfair as i made this post about my boarding and all holidayhutch did was offer some advice, never mentioned you or what you do, and i struggle to see how or why TWELVE people would phone up and say she said it was about you when it wasnt...thats what they have drawn from it, but in actual fact (and fact is what is important) she never mentioned any specific place, and it wasnt even aimed at one place either.

Please if you have any issues (although i am struggling to see what they are at the moment) please sort it out via PM or whatever because this isnt what its meant to be about, and ill be really annoyed if it gets locked over something so non existant.

*Spider*
26-02-2010, 01:02 PM
I have a little thing going with my neighbours that I look after their guinea pigs when they're on holiday and they look after my bunnies, but when we move to the new house you are of course my first port of call as you're excellent, although we don't go on holiday at all anymore :(

XMissySJx
26-02-2010, 01:04 PM
I have a little thing going with my neighbours that I look after their guinea pigs when they're on holiday and they look after my bunnies, but when we move to the new house you are of course my first port of call as you're excellent, although we don't go on holiday at all anymore :(

would you notice if i didnt give toffee back? :lol:

sacol4940
26-02-2010, 01:05 PM
I'd board my buns with you if you were closer SJ :wave:

*Spider*
26-02-2010, 01:06 PM
would you notice if i didnt give toffee back? :lol:

Ummmm... I might.. ;)

XMissySJx
26-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Ummmm... I might.. ;)

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh poo! :lol: Cotton reminds me of toffee so much, he has the majorly fluffy ears!

*Spider*
26-02-2010, 01:10 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh poo! :lol: Cotton reminds me of toffee so much, he has the majorly fluffy ears!

Toffee majorly needs a haircut.
He looks ridiculous at the moment, but I just keep telling myself I'll do it when the weather's warmer as it must be keeping his little old face warm!

XMissySJx
26-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Toffee majorly needs a haircut.
He looks ridiculous at the moment, but I just keep telling myself I'll do it when the weather's warmer as it must be keeping his little old face warm!

cotton needs one, hes so fluffy right now. ill take new piccies later and show u lol!

*Spider*
26-02-2010, 01:44 PM
cotton needs one, hes so fluffy right now. ill take new piccies later and show u lol!

Aww that'll be nice.
I'll show Toffee a picture of Cotton and show him how cute he used to look, now he's just a grumpy old ball of fur... (got to love him though)

PearlyGirl
27-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I have to say cheaper is not always better. Cost is an important factor in anything these days, but you have to wonder if cheaper is always better?
I think your prices sound very reasonable, you clearly love what you do too which i think is important to see when choosing where to board.

I personally wouldn't use anywhere other (unless i had to!) than HolidayHutches. The prices are good, the buns are well looked after, rabbit savvy vet to hand, the service is second to none - they really would do anything they can to help you out. We first used them when Stew couldn't walk and were so worried about leaving her. When we got back she had grown, put on a bit of weight and as we discovered soon enough she could walk again!!!!

I wouldn't make a decision on boarding on price alone, at the end of the day our pets are so important to us and we want what's best for them.
I hope the business picks up soon for you....if anyone asks me if i know anywhere 'down south' i will pass your details on :D

susieb1
27-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Last year my Cookie stayed with a friend who had just lost her rabbit of 7 years so thought he was in safe hands. At home he is used to a big hutch with run attached. Unfortunatley he had to go in a smaller hutch with no run attached but she did fuss him and get him out in a separate run a couple of times a day. When I picked him up, he had lost weight and was not himself. I now have another bun Honey and if I go away this year, cost will not be a factor. I will need to find somewhere with large hutches and a permanent run attached. Nothing else will do no matter what the cost. I saw first hand how traumatic Cookie found the experience of not having the luxury he is used to. An experience never to be repeated. Good luck with your boarding!!!!:wave:

Lib_n_bunny
27-02-2010, 01:09 PM
very very true!

I think that's cheap for what you get, plus I would trust you with Beau as I know you really know bunnies.

My issue, as others have said, is that it is difficult enough to afford a holiday at the moment, nevermind bunny boarding on top. We are taking Beau with us at Easter as it's only 20 for him to come for the week. :D

I really hope you can keep going, when I finally do have enough money to have bunny boarding, I would defo wanna come to u!

susieb1
27-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Your prices are very competitive, but as the others have said with the current economic climate people are cutting back on holidays. we usually have a main holiday plus maybe one or two breaks a year. At the moment any holiday this year is in doubt. Fingers crossed that business takes a turn for the better.:wave:

HJH
27-02-2010, 06:51 PM
We have boarded with SJ quite a few times. The quality of service is excellent and well worth the money. So much peace of mind for experience and knowledge about rabbits. SJ keep your chin up things will pick up I'm sure. As you know Honey will be back in the summer for her three week break. xx:wave:

XMissySJx
27-02-2010, 08:43 PM
We have boarded with SJ quite a few times. The quality of service is excellent and well worth the money. So much peace of mind for experience and knowledge about rabbits. SJ keep your chin up things will pick up I'm sure. As you know Honey will be back in the summer for her three week break. xx:wave:

honey my dads all time favourite! he doesnt even like my rabbits very much but adores honey!