• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lump in face :-(

clairekaitlin

Warren Scout
For a few days Daisy has been quiet and withdrawn, still eating and drinking fine and playing with her sister except I have noticed she had a swelling on her right hand side of face?
My mum pressed on it yesterday to see if it was soft or hard and Daisy wasn't bothered but today it is double the size, rock hard and obviously uncomfy:(

I am ringing the vet tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas please?
I'm really worried about my lickle babbit now:(

claire xx

Please do not take my answer as a right or wrong answer because I do not know.
I am wondering if it may be a result of a tooth problem?

Im not sure because she is still eating and drinking fine? I am defo taking her to vets tho because I cant see her in obvious discomfort :( xx

Sounds like a possible abscess to me so definately needs the vet first thing in the morning. It could be related to tooth roots depending on the position, but if it is on the actual side of the face this is less likely to be the cause :?

Awww, sorry she's not well. :( Is she vaccinated against myxi?

Neither of my girls are vaccinated against anything?!?!? I wasn't aware they had to be as they never leave the house?!?!

She still seems to be "outputting" as normal so I am thoroughly confuzzled!!

claire x

Neither of my girls are vaccinated against anything?!?!? I wasn't aware they had to be as they never leave the house?!?!

She still seems to be "outputting" as normal so I am thoroughly confuzzled!!

claire x

Sadly even house buns can get myxi - don't ask me how! I really, really hope this isn't the case with your bun. Could you maybe post a picture? Keeping everything crossed for you anyway.

As it's grown so rapidly I would guess at an abscess, only a guess though.

Tinkerbell had one which literally appeared overnight, hers was in her jaw.

Definately an early vet visit.

As it's grown so rapidly I would guess at an abscess, only a guess though.

Tinkerbell had one which literally appeared overnight, hers was in her jaw.

Definately an early vet visit.

Yes, Moses' came up over night. I was shocked at the size of it as there was nothing there he night before :(

Yes does sound like could be an abscess so I'd get her to the vets asap. And yes housebuns do need to have their Myxi and VHD jabs, my vet said they can be bought in on the sole of your shoe or even from a housefly.

For a few days Daisy has been quiet and withdrawn, still eating and drinking fine and playing with her sister except I have noticed she had a swelling on her right hand side of face?
My mum pressed on it yesterday to see if it was soft or hard and Daisy wasn't bothered but today it is double the size, rock hard and obviously uncomfy:(

I am ringing the vet tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas please?
I'm really worried about my lickle babbit now:(

claire xx

Vet booked for 4.50pm this afternoon, wish me luck xx

Good luck! It's hard to tell whether it's from a tooth problem or a bite but the vet will be able to get to the bottom of it. Let us know how you get on ;)

Back