• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

problems need help for peace of mind... jacks jane you about?

winnies angel

Mama Doe
as you know winston has suffered bloat been on drip and in vets 3 days since wed.
Friday he went back in to vets took angel with him and came home.
Saturday hes just sitting around you can tell hes still poorly although vets said hes doing good and just continue with med as itll take few weeks to be proper better.
He is eating tiny bites every now and then and little hay, think hes fed up with pineapple juice, his poop is very small which is ok as hes not eating normal yet. His guts were going mad last night untill he had his metacam then later in evening he done few laps of bedroom.
Ive looked and all this sitting about has caused his sore feet to flare up they are bleedy and sore which is depressing him more and normally we would double his dosage of metacam 1ml morn and night as vet has said but with him being on meds for bloat not sure if im allowed to double up and our vet isnt in untill wed? any suggestions
now angel is chasing him about which is probably time of year but with him not being well what should i do seperate or keep together. ive just came in to find mayhem bowls spilt pillows thrown and fur pulled from both. Hes now sitting huddled in corner teeth chattering holding his feet up.
what do i do?
is the bloat situation normal? as long as hes eating pooping
any advise from nurse/vets about metacam double up with bloat treatments?
should i seperate to stop angel tormenting him for a hump?
could cry if its not one problem its another

If he is in pain from his feet this is likely to cause him to stop eating again so I would give the maximum pain relief that your vet has advised you. I would also seperate the buns for a little while to give him a chance to destress as again that could cause him to stop eating.

It could be that Angel is bullying him because she knows he is unwell :(

If he continues to stay huddled in the corner, grinding his teeth in pain I would get him back tot he vet asap.

I haven't read Winstons thread so don't know what has been done already, sorry. Have x-rays been taken?

hi yeah he had xray drip etc on wed when his guts had totally stopped, he came home wed night had to keep moving him every hour.
Went back in thurs had fluids vet couldnt belive how well he was doing (although he still looked sick) had another xray gas was shrinking
friday had more fluids etc angel went with him as she was getting stressed.
friday night bouncing about a little not eating loads but is keep eating every now and then few poops guts are making noises so working.

He keeps hopping out his corner for bit hay then hopping back into it to sleep. Alert etc.
he normally has 1ml med a day at most but we have permission to double that up if really bad or lower if good.
But with him having other meds I dont want to double it up as i dont know if this wold effect other meds which are the ones for his stomach.
My vet is proper rabbit vet and she isnt in untill wed she advised us not to go to emergency vets unless absolutely needed to as they cant do anything more than what we can hence why he kept coming home over night.
Friday they said just to continue with meds as he is doing really good and that would be it unless any other problems go back next week.
I dont know what to do then with angel chasing him im so scared we have never ahd a fight before winston finds comfort in angel but shes just being a *****.
He loks sick of his life at moment sore belly sore feet and his girlfriend doesnt want him.
i feel so sad i dont know if im doing stuff right or not.

I am not sure what I would do for the best. If Angel is chasing him then at least its getting him up and moving about but then again you dont want him being stressed.

I would maybe move him so he is side by side with Angel to give him some time out.

I would seperate them but keep them close to each other so they can see and smell each other.

As far as the Metacam goes then if your Vet has advised you to increase the dose if his feet are very painful then I would do so.

What are the other meds he is on ?

hes on 1.5mls of metoclopramide and 1ml of zantac syrup evry 8-12 hours aswell as 1ml of metacam which he gets at supper time but if his feet are sore we give him 1ml metacam morn and night usually but i dont want to just do this with him being on other meds and obv cant get in touch with our vet.

angels cuddling him at mo but if he turns around with his bum towards her she sniffs it then goes for him ive never seen her ever do this is this normal.
I know she sruff when she feels randy and hes terrified of her and runs is this just her being randy or does she not like him now because hes poorly?

I can't see that him being on the other meds will affect him by increasing his metacam. If the vet has given you permission to increase it if needed then I would definately do it. He does sound in pain :(

hes on 1.5mls of metoclopramide and 1ml of zantac syrup evry 8-12 hours aswell as 1ml of metacam which he gets at supper time but if his feet are sore we give him 1ml metacam morn and night usually but i dont want to just do this with him being on other meds and obv cant get in touch with our vet.

angels cuddling him at mo but if he turns around with his bum towards her she sniffs it then goes for him ive never seen her ever do this is this normal.
I know she sruff when she feels randy and hes terrified of her and runs is this just her being randy or does she not like him now because hes poorly?

Is it his back feet that are sore?

That may be why Angel is nipping at him when he turns his back on her.
Are his hocks infected ? Perhaps he should also be on abx.

yep his back feet they are swollen and cracked bleeding a little yesterday.
Ive seen them worse but obv with him not being well at mo i dont want him hurting too much.

Ive seen them worse but obv with him not being well at mo i dont want him hurting too much.

I suspect Angel can smell infection in the hocks.
I think you need to get Winston back to a Vet before Wednesday. The GI problems might be secondary to his chronic hock problems. He may actually have osteomyelitis now and consequently he would be in alot of pain :cry:

im going to ring vets first thing but obv the vet who owns it always says we need honor who is off untill wed.
will 1ml metacam be ok morn and night with the gut stuff?

That does sound really painful :( Maybe the reason he is in stasis is because of the problems with his feet :cry:

im going to ring vets first thing but obv the vet who owns it always says we need honor who is off untill wed.
will 1ml metacam be ok morn and night with the gut stuff?

My Vet has prescribed maximum dose Metacam to Buns who are also on Metoclopromide and Zantac.
I feel sure that Winston's hocks are the primary problem and it is pain from them that has caused the GI tract hypomotility.

well winnie had his med last night...angel was still chasing but couple of hours later it was angel that was running because winnie was chasing her:roll:
we bandaged his feet up and hes doing great.
His stomach problems weren't feet related that i know of because he has always had bad feet gets x-rays to make sure the bone isnt infected and hes on metacam for life, theyve been doing really good lately so we dropped his dosage to 6-7mls on a night but after being in vets for 3 days not hopping about and just sitting in his potty his feet have flared right up, this is the worse we have seen them in a long time but our vet does know about it and he goes every few weeks for check ups on them obv if they aren't any better by wed ill take him in to see our vet (thats when shes back) but just from bandaging them and giving metacam hes doing good done few laps of honor this morning.
thankyou everyone was bit worried about giving hm too much metacam with his other meds I would normally but I didnt want to stop his belly meds from working by giving too much of his feet med but he does seem hoppier so fingers crossed hes on mend.

Back