• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

News from a MultiBun house: teeth, kidneys, bonds, and newbies

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone:wave::wave:

Its been a bit like a soap here last week (not that in fact I have ever watched a soap - but people tell me it is!). We have had 'weddings', divorce, illness, and scandal! Amongst the bun population that is.

My partner is determined that we should 'simplify' life and merge more of the 18 together (did I say 18!!??) - surely it was 17 2 weeks ago??

So the first to go into the bonding areana was Hawthorn - which was a total failure - with several knockouts and submissions to his credit . . so he is now a handsome lonesome again.:roll:

IMG_1266.jpg

Next up was Nutmeg who one day just decided he would go and live with Pumpkin and Blackberry . . and that worked well:):) - no piccies as they were all running round like mad when I just went out. But they all look very very cute. Nutmeg and Blackberry are boys:shock: but Blackberry is a bit brain damaged and loves Nutmeg now like a big brother and now follows him round everywhere - its so sweet. Blackberry is almost totally blind so its great for him to have a patient elder brother! Will try for photos another time!

Then there was a delay whilst Damson had another kidney stone episode - and it was all rush to the vets again - but he is fine now again till it moves again - poor soul. here he is feeling very fine and feisty (he is the one on top:oops:. he;s had so many tests now and it really is 'just' the stone causing all the problems - the rest of him is very fit and well despite being almost 9 yrs.

IMG_1263.jpg

Then poor Comfrey had to have another teeth op - and the vet says that now his teeth are actually growing out sideways (his molars) probably due to his earlier jaw infections. Poor little soul - he is only 18 months and his teeth are shot through. The other vet said they look like Stonehenge. Here he is recovering under the bed (he is the harlequin behind Milk Thistle):love::love: he has had a really rough start in life as his old owners wanted him put down.

IMG_1261.jpg

Then we got back on track with the bonding and Teasal, Parsley, Peaches, and Robinia have been put together (neutered male, un-neutered but hopelessly and entirely unnagressive male, and two neutered females): here they are getting to know each other. Parsley has been enthusiastically 'getting to know' Robinia very well in fact:shock:. They all seem fine except Teasal - who may actually be having one of his sludgy bladder times so not good timing - but we weren't to know - and actually he looks fine and dandy as soon as you let him out. I think actually he may just be sulking. Will get him checked out at vet on Monday - and take them all together for a car trip as well.

IMG_1259.jpg

Viola Rose and Mistletoe got their first outing in the garden since she came in for Myxi last Sept - it was a Sunny day - but she decided she would actually rather stay a bedroom bun for now and keep her paws clean and white. So they are back in now after a sunny afternoon trip out. The tortoises felt the same - especially when it snowed the same day.

Oooh yes - and finally the lovely Nicholas (now called Blackthorn) came to live with us from BARC !! He is Thistles new husbun after Hawthorn cast her off - along with a host of other prospective brides!! They are getting on fine - though I couldn't catch them together as he was exploring his new domain!

So he is on top of the hutch (still inside aviary run) and she is inside . . well she is a little elderly and it was yukky and wet! PS Hutch much bigger than it looks here . . and its inside an aviary run with loads of platforms and ramps - so don't worry about space! Though its is our smallest one for smaller buns!
IMG_1264.jpg

So thats this week . . I wonder what next week holds??:roll::lol:

PS realise I forgot to mention Bluebell and Mulberry - but thats because everything was just fine and dandy with them! and as they are the 'biggies' and are SO happy together we will not try and bond them to anyone else . . but here is Bluebell anyway .
IMG_1220.jpg

phewwww that does sound like a soap opera - not that I watch them either!!
Im glad some of the bonds worked to make life easier for you..
You have very cute bunnys :love:

Looking forward to the second episode next week!

Eeep!:shock:

I sometimes wonder about trying more of mine together ...they mostly live in pairs at the moment....not sure I have the courage though :?

Good luck with the bonding :wave:

I think I'd end up with a huge vets bill if I tried to bond some of my pairs together...most of the boys are fine, but my girls are all feisty madams :roll:

You've been a busy bunny!

Just a quick question I noticed your bonding a neutered and un-neutered males ... is this a possible thing to do?

You've been a busy bunny!

Just a quick question I noticed your bonding a neutered and un-neutered males ... is this a possible thing to do?

I wouldn't normally try and do it but in this case Parsley is SO un-aggressive that we are hoping it will work. He does display some signs of maleness occasionally to female buns:oops::oops: but does not spray or bite or lunge or box or get frenetic or go mad with pent up sexual frustration or any of the other things unneutered buns usually do. Hence we have never neutered him. He's more like a soppy pup than an un-nuetered rabbit. Also the neutered male in the foursome is quite oldish now (9 yrs old) and although very fit etc is well past any silly teenage aggression!

It does depend on your bun totally. I suspect the reason we can't seem to bond Hawthorn at all is that he only had his plums off 2 months ago at the age of 5, so is still very hormonal in his behavioural responses.

Unneutered males together can also be either easy or difficult depending on temperament.

PS the other reason not to try and bond un-neutered males is that the female or male you are bonding them to will go for their private parts if they get pestered or fed up. This can be SERIOUS. So do take great care if you ever attempt this bond with anything other than the soppiest bun.

Back