• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lionhead with matted coat

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Hi:wave:

Not sure if this is the right place to post.

Does anyone have any tips / advice about getting matts out of fur?

Sammy is a very fluffy lionhead, his coat grows quite long and gets matted very easily. Unfortunately he's always been a bit grumpy and hates getting brushed. Handling him is impossible. He has a few bits of matted fur at the moment but they are in tricky places i.e. unders his chin and behind his legs. I do what I can with the scissors but some of the matts start so close to his skin so I dont want to hurt him.

I dont know how bad he is,bless him, but it may be an idea to have the vet nurse take a look?? My Mrs gets the odd knot....:roll:

I have a bun that sounds exactly like yours except mine's a she!

Daphne also has teeth problems and can't groom herself well so her coat gets really quite disgusting! :lol: She's very nervous so what I tend to do is brush the knots away from the skin and then cut the fur short. Just brushing the knots out seems a bit futile as she'd knot it up again in minutes. The occasional haircut also means I don't have to pick her up and stress her out too often. It can't knot if it's not there! ;) She really hates any kind of touch unless it's from her husbun and even then she's jumpy. She's a bit nuts :roll:

To get the knots, I use a flea comb. I don't bother brushing the knots all the way out, just enough so I can cut them out and trim the fur quite near to the skin. She often looks a little weird after I've done this but I don't think she minds! :lol:

By the way, do not give bunny a massive haircut whilst the weather is cold! Little bits at a time are best this time of year. :)

Back