• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with Bungle please- Update, seen vet.

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Bungle is having a really bad moult and suddenly in about 3 hours this evening he has developed a huge bald patch on his bum.

The fur literally looks as though it is peeling off and has got really matted. We have just sat for half an hour with tiny scissors cutting it all away to stop it pulling his skin but it is still looking red in patches.

What could cause this sudden balding?

We will get him to the vets on monday but other than just his adult coat coming through is there anything else it could be?

You cant really see very well in the pic but its a huge bald patch.
utf-8BSU1HMDA3MzYtMjAxMDAyMjAtMjEzM.jpg

Last edited:
I Think its just were the matting has got tight,and basically it pulls away from the skin ive seen it on dogs,its very uncomfortable:(

I think thats what it is but have been reading up on mites too and although I cant see any on him I will get the vets to check him out on Monday.

It looks very sore. I dont want to put sudacrem on as he is grooming alot and I dont want him to swallow any.

If it was mites he would have a white dandruff and the fur would pull away,it doesnt look like he has mites

If it was mites he would have a white dandruff and the fur would pull away,it doesnt look like he has mites

His skin doesn't look flaky, just red and bald!

Can the vet treat for mites just in case or is it dangerous to do if he doesnt have them?

They can but i cant see the point if he doesnt have them:? Ive only had 1 rabbit with mites the first rabbit i ever had

Thats normal. Dandelion used to get this too. Its where the fur 'felts' together if the brush isnt getting to the vase of the fur. I found with Dandelion when i was brushing her it was only brushing her top coat, and the undercoat kept felting. If you keep brushing and brushing it ends up leaving them bald :( His fur will grow back eventually :)

You do so well with him, i could honestly never have a long haired bunny

Thats normal. Dandelion used to get this too. Its where the fur 'felts' together if the brush isnt getting to the vase of the fur. I found with Dandelion when i was brushing her it was only brushing her top coat, and the undercoat kept felting. If you keep brushing and brushing it ends up leaving them bald :( His fur will grow back eventually :)

It must be very sore for them :(

I just feel so awful as he looks terrible. It isnt bothering him, he just looks like a rescue case! We keep grabbing him every few hours to cut bits off but he doesnt like sitting still for long.

Brushing just doesnt get to the underneath, he has so much hair!

It must be very sore for them :(

Its really hard to keep on top of though :( It took me months of having Dandelion to find the right brush for her. We ended up with a dog 'slicker' brush, which would get down to the bottom layer. I mustve spent over £50 on brushes when i had Dandelion :? Theyre really hard work!

In the warmer weather, i took her to Lucys salon and she had all her hair trimmed :) She actually looked so much better!

I just feel so awful as he looks terrible. It isnt bothering him, he just looks like a rescue case! We keep grabbing him every few hours to cut bits off but he doesnt like sitting still for long.

Brushing just doesnt get to the underneath, he has so much hair!

Your totally right, it just never seems to get to the bottom layer does it? I really feel for you :( I used to feel the need to 'pluck' loose bits from Dandelion all the time :oops: They get so mad dont they. Good luck anyway hun, hope he improves soon xXx

Its really hard to keep on top of though :( It took me months of having Dandelion to find the right brush for her. We ended up with a dog 'slicker' brush, which would get down to the bottom layer. I mustve spent over £50 on brushes when i had Dandelion :? Theyre really hard work!

In the warmer weather, i took her to Lucys salon and she had all her hair trimmed :) She actually looked so much better!

We brush Bungle twice a day and twease out and cut his matts.

He should never have been bred, he has a flat face so has dental problems and then his fur which must be uncomfortable.

I dont know what else i can do more though to make it better for him. Hopefully once its all come out it will be better as his adult coat is less fluffy.

I've got used to Eddie's strange hair cuts. At the end of the day he doesn't care what he looks like as long as he is comfortable :)

I've got used to Eddie's strange hair cuts. At the end of the day he doesn't care what he looks like as long as he is comfortable :)

Thats true! My hairdressing skills need some work so he always ends up with lines across his back where I have cut!

We brush Bungle twice a day and twease out and cut his matts.

He should never have been bred, he has a flat face so has dental problems and then his fur which must be uncomfortable.

I dont know what else i can do more though to make it better for him. Hopefully once its all come out it will be better as his adult coat is less fluffy.

Too right! I don't know why people breed rabbits (and other animals) that are designed to suffer.:( It must be so frustrating for you seeing him like this, but I can assure you that - as Liz said- Bungle doesn't care what he looks like, as long as you keep the carrots coming.:p

I have never had a cashmere lop, but other pedigree lops I've had moult in a really strange way...big clumps of hair fall out leaving bald patches, and the new hair gradually grows through

I have never had a cashmere lop, but other pedigree lops I've had moult in a really strange way...big clumps of hair fall out leaving bald patches, and the new hair gradually grows through

This is whats happening. His coat is literally peeling off him and then he has new hair growing through the bald patches.

He needs his morning brush soon but we have Strawberry out downstairs for a bit so he is sulking as he cant come out!

Back