• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

calpol saline nasal spray

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
i think i will ask claire over the phone next week as she asked for update on bertie and the piriton.
I saw this advertised on tv.and oddly enough this ad seems to be following me:lol:

its safe for pregnant women even..i was wondering..seeing as its used for colds flu and hayfever sinusitis etc in babies childen and anyone really...maybe it could be beneficial to a pasturella bun whos been left with symptoms of allergic rhinitis..only when he eats food or hay or finds a bit of dust..actually his fur thats floated across the lounge..hes just got to sniff it hasnt he!:roll::lol:

also worried he might be allergic to the cats like i am...but his is brought on by pasturella irritating his nasal linings etc.

would you ask your vet if you were in my situation? Has anyone already tried it on their bun?

i will let you know what she says and if yes....ill report back..anyhting to stop poor old bertie having sneezing fits minus snot i hasten to ad. thankfully!

Personally I wouldn't want to put fluid in a bun's nose. It's a very sensitive area, & they can only breath through their noses normally, so it is frightening for them to have fluid down there even on 1 side. I would also be very cautious about anything with saline, because buns don't handle salt as well as we do. It is a matter I'd ask a vet for advice, & be shown how to do it. However eye drops trickle into the nose much more slowly, & gently, via the tear duct. This may be worth looking into.

There are a few drugs off prescription eg bisolvon which help to make the secretions more runny & drain better. The best way to get moisture in a buns nose is probably a nebulizer.

But I'd try dust control 1st. Dust really thickens secretions so they can't drain, & bunny has no alternative but to sneeze them out.
The other aspect is trying not to let the temp drop too much at night & maintain humidity with a bowl of water by radiators or in front of the fire.

We used a saline spray (Potters Spray - a 'natural' drug maker but available in Tesco and Boots) when Viola Rose had myxi and needed her nasal passages soothed. It worked well as we just sprayed them sort of up past her nose as she breathed in. We did not hold her to do it. I think she learnt that it was soothing and she seemed to move towards it . However at first it did take her aback.

We also used bisolvon when she was bunged up.

Thank you parsnipbun. I stand corrected.
They used liquid drops in the past. The title definitely describes a spray, which is totally different. My apologies.

Back