• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnys babies died.. Why??

melb1986

New Kit
Hello everyone.. Im just wondering what went wrong?? My rabbit Nala gave birth to 6 babies.. I thought she was looking rather fat, but my male and female are kept seperate except when there cages are cleaned out, so obviously she got pregnant..
I am currently looking after a friends dog who was barking constantly at the cage but couldnt get in there.. Could that have contributed? As she was stomping her feet, scared. I didnt notice she had given birth until today when i went out and discovered 6 dead babies.. They were scattered around the cage so im ssure they werent born dead as they seemed to be moving.

Nala had ripped out alot of fur so they were well covered, plus there was hay and wood chipings in there. She had plenty of food and water as well. I think the rabbit were a few days old as looking at pics on the internet they were bigger then new born.

My husband had noticed the ripped up fur about 2 days ago, as i have been ill in bed with morning sickness so he has been feeding nala. I just feel like i wish i new she had had the babies coz maybe i could of done something more. The hubby didnt look in the top bit of cage so hadnt noticed they were born. I feel terribly guilty to nala and was just wondering if anyone could explain what happened?? Thansk Mel xx

Trying to establish what happened is really a long shot now I think. It could have been many things but, yes the dog barking may have un-settled her or stressed her. I am not sure it would have killed the kits though:? I really wouldn't recommend letting the two of them out together, try to keep them separate, what would you have done if the 6 kits had survived? Did you have homes lined up for them. You would have had to separate and house the males and females separately if not. I would get your doe health checked at the vets now aswell and if all is well go ahead and get them both neutered so they can live together without the risk of more kits, you may not be so lucky the next time and lose the doe giving birth aswell. Hope she will be alright, it must have been distressing which ever or what ever happened.:(

im so sorry for your loss..if mum was stressed she could of killed the babys,or they could just of been still born. i would make sure mum has a little extra food/veggies for the next few days as giving birth would of taken it out of her..
i would advise you to get her spayed so she can live with the male and it reduces the risk of uterine cancer ..
good luck!

Thanks for the reply.. Unfortunetly my male rabbit died, completely unexpectedly, about 3 weeks ago. No idea why, but Nala was fine and was given a clean bill of health. so there is no chance of her getting pregnant again.
Do u think she is depressed she doesnt have her babies? So her having anymore wouldnt be a clever idea?? I feel so guilty for her. no ididnt have homes lined up for the rabbits, but have enough space to have seperated them so that would of been fine. Just finding them homes would have been the issue.

is she housed indoors or outdoors?
i would say health wise,and her overall well being spaying would be best option..its so loverly to see two bonded rabbits playing,snuggling and grooming each other.they are very social animals , unless she is a house bun with lots of human interaction .
to your question about being depressed..really cant answer does she seen quiet or different ..only you will beable to answer this as she is your bun xx
eta what did the male die from?

It could be lots of things, stress, temperature, illness, lack of milk, mum inexperience or a genetic problem.

I wouldn't recommend breeding without a very good reason. There are so many things that could go wrong, and you risk losing the mum as well as babies.

My suggestion would be to think about getting a neutered male. That way she can have company but you won't end up with a population explotion :D

Btw, it takes litterally seconds for conception so even supervised visits between unneutered rabbits aren't a good idea :)

I have no idea how the rabbit died.. i wrote on here for answers and some ppl seemed to suggest vhs?? But took nala to the vet and she was fine..

she is an outdoor bunny but comes inside too.. During the winter she is kep in an indoor cage as its quite cold in germany.. I think i may look into getting a spayed male.. Its obviously fine to keep them together if he is spayed and she isnt??

I have no idea how the rabbit died.. i wrote on here for answers and some ppl seemed to suggest vhs?? But took nala to the vet and she was fine..

she is an outdoor bunny but comes inside too.. During the winter she is kep in an indoor cage as its quite cold in germany.. I think i may look into getting a spayed male.. Its obviously fine to keep them together if he is spayed and she isnt??

VHD is a strong possibility but he could have died from something genetic that you could never have spotted.

Is your doe vaccinated?

i have no idea, but im really really sorry they didnt live :cry::cry::cry:
maybe as a first time mom she just didnt know what to do

hope mommy bunny is ok xxx

Awwwh, poor babies :(

I can sympathise - back when I was new to keeping bunnies, I had an experience that I think traumatised me for life! :roll: I had a lovely little english spot X called Poppy and one morning I woke up, looked out the window, and she had got out of her hutch and was munching away at the lawn. I went out, put her back in her hutch and all was well until a few weeks later when I went to feed her and I could see her eating some weird looking thing in her run... I got right up close for a good look at this strange vegetable... only to realise it was two dead baby bunnies. :shock: I vomitted there and then. She must have been out for longer than I though and met up with a wild bunny. :( I never forgave myself for not realising.

Now baby animals really freak me out until they get their fur! :lol: All my bunnies are neutered now (except for one male, but he will be getting done when he's old enough).

I would get Nala neutered. Letting her have another litter wouldn't be a good idea. She obviously didn't cope very well first time round and it could happen again. Plus you'd then have to find good homes for the babies.

I believe I'm right in saying that 80% of does get uterine cancer by the age of three too. Therefore, neutering her will have an 80% chance of saving her life :) She might also cheer up a bit too as un-neutered does are very hormonal. Like having constant PMT :lol:

Ohhhh, thanks Georgie, makes me feel a little better.. Im sorry to hear about ur bunny eating her babies. I think i will get her spayed and maybe get her a male companion for company once we move bk to the uk. im goin to take nala to the vet on monday to make sure she is ok..
yes she is vaccinated.. im just hoping emotionally she will be ok.. i have had her inside today and she is being very cuddly and clingy. poor girl i feel for her :-(

Back