• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heart Murmurs

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Has anyone ever had a rabbit with a heart murmur?

Mystic went into the vets for his vaccination, and the vet said she could hear he had a murmur, that she would grade 2.

She said it may have been brought on by stress and thus may "disappear", but may not and may be from something else, or genetic.

Regardless, he is at increased risk of anaesthetic to be neutered.
Would you neuter?

Don't know about rabbits but 3 of our cats have heart murmurs. when they have had anaesthetics they generally need more fluids put through them. Theo has a heart murmur and he survived that big cancer op OK :)

Its better that they have picked up on it before any operation so they can take it in to consideration when giving the GA :)

Bonnie had an operation when she was 5/6 heart murmer. And lived until she was 14 with a 6/6 heart murmer. I realise GA in bunnies is different but i think
as they know about it he has a better chance, i personally would neuter

Personally, I would hate to risk it, regardless of my experience being a different heart condition. I lost Hermy to her spay because she had an enlarged heart :cry: So no, I would not risk it and I would not spay.

I would wait until you know for sure if her heart murmur is going to be an ongoing thing, or just something that's temporary.

Bonnie had an operation when she was 5/6 heart murmer. And lived until she was 14 with a 6/6 heart murmer. I realise GA in bunnies is different but i think
as they know about it he has a better chance, i personally would neuter

sorry to thread jack and sorry to remind you of your loss :oops:... but when did she need pills? Ralph is coming up 11 and his murmur has just been graded to 3/6.. vet said what im to watch for and its taken 2 years to go up by one... dont like the idea of him being on tablets tho, hes way too bouncy to be poorly :?

One of my rabbits had a slight heart murmer when the vet listened. He is 6.5 years old. He has been ill so was anaesthetised for xrays and ultrasound scans to try and find out what was wrong and he came through ok. He had a heart scan at the same time and nothing showed up so I don't know if there is actually anything wrong with his heart.

Personally, I would hate to risk it, regardless of my experience being a different heart condition. I lost Hermy to her spay because she had an enlarged heart :cry: So no, I would not risk it and I would not spay.

I would wait until you know for sure if her heart murmur is going to be an ongoing thing, or just something that's temporary.

:thumb: dispite reasurances that he will be fine, not sure Ste is brave enough to get Ralph done and im certainly not going to push it. if we went for an op i insisted on and he died that would finish us i know it, even with the increased cancer risk sometimes im not sure interfering is the best route. (dog not bunny btw)

Personally I'd bring him in with Magic for his neuter and see if it's gone, and if not, see if not I'd see if the vet was happy to neuter him.
To be perfectly honest (I'm probably biased as I've met him :love:) his heart murmur would not put me off AT ALL. He's such an amazing humanised little bunny and would make the perfect house pet!

sorry to thread jack and sorry to remind you of your loss :oops:... but when did she need pills? Ralph is coming up 11 and his murmur has just been graded to 3/6.. vet said what im to watch for and its taken 2 years to go up by one... dont like the idea of him being on tablets tho, hes way too bouncy to be poorly :?

when it was 5, but she should have had them earlier. does he cough? if he coughs alot then i would pop him to the vet. :)

when it was 5, but she should have had them earlier. does he cough? if he coughs alot then i would pop him to the vet. :)

not yet, its one of the things ive been told to look for since we found out we had one.. had never been told a grade before so i didnt realise they do that until the other day... its took 2 years to go from a 2 to a 3 so its not too bad yet :D

Back