• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can Anyone Help Me With Rabbit Colors?

Ammeratsu

New Kit
I have 3 rabbits, and a litter of 7. I need a bit of help with colors, because I can't seem to find any good color guides.

So this is a blue toroiseshell, right?
016.jpg

And this is a Californian?
007-2.jpg

I have no idea on this Dutch, though.
IMG_0739.jpg

It's like, she's fawn, with lilac in some places.

Also, will these blue babies stay solid blue?
IMG_0751.jpg

These babies are two weeks old. Are they past the point where they develope brown points like their dad?
IMG_0753.jpg

the first one looks to be a blue-orange harliquin.
the seconds colour is himalayan
third is a tortoiseshell (could be blue tortoiseshell...)
fourth is a blue and should stay blue.
the white babies could develope points (colour on the nose and legs) and turn out to be himalayan coloured but they may also stay white with red eyes...im not that clued up on himalayans so dont know when they start to change

I plan to breed a little in the near future. This litter wasn't my doing. I bought the first two together(they were housed together, but I separated them) and the himalayan had already impregnated her, so she had a litter. Needless to say, I've really grown to love rabbits and to love raising the babies. My local feedstore told me that he'll buy any that I don't want. He really needs help supplying his store, so I figure I can help him.

Anyways, wow, I didn't expect that. I must be really bad at this color stuff. I guess I was thinking along the lines of cats and how they look tortie.
Thanks a lot for that! I've been trying forever to figure out all the colors and such. So wait, is the Dutch just tortie or is it blue tortie?

The dutch one is probably a x dutch her colouring isnt quite right,and her face doesnt look that typical of a dutch,Are you keeping any of the babies?

I plan to breed a little in the near future. This litter wasn't my doing. I bought the first two together(they were housed together, but I separated them) and the himalayan had already impregnated her, so she had a litter. Needless to say, I've really grown to love rabbits and to love raising the babies. My local feedstore told me that he'll buy any that I don't want. He really needs help supplying his store, so I figure I can help him.

Anyways, wow, I didn't expect that. I must be really bad at this color stuff. I guess I was thinking along the lines of cats and how they look tortie.
Thanks a lot for that! I've been trying forever to figure out all the colors and such. So wait, is the Dutch just tortie or is it blue tortie?

:cry:

Yeah, I figured she was a mix.

And for the person who left a frowny face, I'm just going to ignore it. I live on a farm. It's so completely normal to breed rabbits on a farm. I'm sorry if you disapprove or whatever, but as long as my rabbits are responsibley cared for, it's my choice what I do with them.

Yeah, I figured she was a mix.

And for the person who left a frowny face, I'm just going to ignore it. I live on a farm. It's so completely normal to breed rabbits on a farm. I'm sorry if you disapprove or whatever, but as long as my rabbits are responsibley cared for, it's my choice what I do with them.

This is true, however you have posted this on a forum that is predominently rescue orientated so anyone talking about breeding isn't necessarily going to be popular here. Maybe a breeding forum would be a better place to discuss breeding matters. Just a thought.

The bunnies are lovely.

Okay, well, I guess I'll just go to a breeding forum.

Thanks anyays.

You don't have to disappear as we would like to think we have rabbits and their best care in common, but you just have to recognise that most of us come here because we have a common interest in rescuing rabbits not breeding them. In the UK we have a massive problem with too many people producing way too many rabbits with not enough homes and not enough knowledge. As a result those of us who are left to pick up the pieces are passionate about rescuing and get upset by people who add to the issue of rabbits stuck in rescues.

We are happy to share our knowledge and experience with all caring owners.

lol! Okay. I'll stick around then. Lots of mind changing going on. As long as no one holds a grudge or whatever. I'll just keep quiet about it.

So uh, ignore this thread, I guess?

I dunno. I'll make future posts on other things. I didn't want to start an arguement or whatever.

All I will add is if you are set on breeding..why not find homes for the kits yourself and homecheck to make sure the homes are good ones?
Letting them go to a petstore means anyone can walk in and buy them and you never know how they'll be kept or treated

At least if you home them carefully yourself you are going towards being a more responsible breeder :D
they are all very cute by the way

I see what you're saying. But it's not a petstore that wants to buy them off me. It's a feedstore, and he's real good at helping people. As he's getting the rabbit they asked for, he's always explaining good care and talking about typical myths. I think he's a pretty good source and cares for his rabbits pretty well. He even sells 50 pound bags of good quality rabbit food for just 8 bucks because he says he hates when people buy the crappy cheap stuff just because it's cheap.

This person has the very best intentions. That's why he's struggling to keep his store supplied with rabbits, because he won't buy them from just anyone. He always wants to make sure they're healthy and well cared for(not that he doesn't take in plenty of rescues). He wants to buy them from me because he's known me forever, and I've bought goats from him and came down to talk to him about how great they're doing and about any babies they had. Of course, he's ALWAYS happy to take in a poor rabbit someone abandoned at his store. The harlequin doe I have was a rescue that he took in. I showed up the day after she was dropped at his store and I saw her. She was a tad skinny and looked a little beat up(from her previous owners) and she really took my heart. So I bought her, and a really nice hutch and that's where it all started with me and rabbits.

Back