• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you not litter train some rabbits?

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Tiny Still wont wee or poo in his litter tray,He just does it all over the fleece in his cage,I was going to put him in the puppy pen today so he had more room,but ive not got anything to cover the carpet and dont really want wee all over it:? Ive never had a rabbit that doesnt use a tray

Elwood has a huge litter tray, its called our lounge :lol::lol:

I am sure he will get used to it in time, he has always been an outside bunny so expect it will take a lot of adjusting:)

Elwood has a huge litter tray, its called our lounge :lol::lol:

I am sure he will get used to it in time, he has always been an outside bunny so expect it will take a lot of adjusting:)

Tasha said he was a house rabbit for a bit,I might go and buy a few more litter trays:lol:

He has only been with you for a few days, he needs time.

Snowdrop has only just stoped using her crate as a litter tray, its taken almost a year.

Bungle was litter trained but then went to Jills for two weeks so is just getting back into it.

He just needs some time to settle into his new environment.

Can you keep Tiny in the cage for a few days, without the fleecy blanket, just newspaper and a littler tray filled with hay, hopefully he'll get the idea, I just said on another thread, mine are litter trained, but if I but blanket down they will pee on it!!

Maybe thats why he was only a house rabbit for a bit :lol:

Some bunnies just don't get the whole litter tray thing which is why they are better suited outside. Can't wait for the spring so that Jojo can go out (although thats not just because of her weeing everywhere).

Can you not put down some old sheets, thats what I used to do for Timmy as he had to go when ever he needed and couldn;t always make the litter tray?

Can you keep Tiny in the cage for a few days, without the fleecy blanket, just newspaper and a littler tray filled with hay, hopefully he'll get the idea, I just said on another thread, mine are litter trained, but if I but blanket down they will pee on it!!

I could do but its only a dog crate so not ideal i wanted him to have a bit more room,When i had Porky indoors i lined his cage with newspaper and when i got home it was completely shredded:lol:

But my lot tell me thats what blankets are for :lol::lol:

Maybe thats why he was only a house rabbit for a bit :lol:

Some bunnies just don't get the whole litter tray thing which is why they are better suited outside. Can't wait for the spring so that Jojo can go out (although thats not just because of her weeing everywhere).

Can you not put down some old sheets, thats what I used to do for Timmy as he had to go when ever he needed and couldn;t always make the litter tray?

I dont have any old bedding free at the min,its all been used for poorly piggies and Mildred,I was hoping he would be as good as Lyric she was an outdoor bun before i had her but only weed a few times on the carpet

My outdoor doe uses her litter tray in the shed but, if she comes into the kitchen or the dining room as she did today she is pooing everywhere :lol: I am not sure if it is a scent thing as she ran up to Gizmo in his pen and then ran round it pooing:roll:

I would get an offcut of lino I think and just use hay. I agree it sounds like those bunnies are going to need a lot of time to settle. He is also used to being with other bunnies rather than single isn't he? That might be unsettling him aswell. Have you put the tray in the preferred corner?

My outdoor doe uses her litter tray in the shed but, if she comes into the kitchen or the dining room as she did today she is pooing everywhere :lol: I am not sure if it is a scent thing as she ran up to Gizmo in his pen and then ran round it pooing:roll:

I would get an offcut of lino I think and just use hay. I agree it sounds like those bunnies are going to need a lot of time to settle. He is also used to being with other bunnies rather than single isn't he? That might be unsettling him aswell. Have you put the tray in the preferred corner?

I dont Mind the poo so much its the wee:oops:,I cant put him in with Lyric yet hes in quarantine,But hopefully they will get on and he will gain confidence

I dont Mind the poo so much its the wee:oops:,I cant put him in with Lyric yet hes in quarantine,But hopefully they will get on and he will gain confidence

Oh yes good point, hopefully she might teach him or lead by example, yes I would imagine the weeing is a bit of a pain, can you afford to get an offcut of lino it would make your life easier. I have some under Gizmo's blankets etc although he is litter trained he has sort of wee'd over the back of the tray before onto the floor:roll: so I had to get some as it stains the oak flooring. I peg newspaper or a puppy pad behind his tray in that corner now aswell just in case. That's another idea maybe some puppy pads from PAH they are £3.99 for about 10-15 I think and are quite absorbant.

he was a house bunny for a while, he used his litter tray then :? may be when he has setted he will be better, really sorry he is weeing every were, he hasnt been with you long may take time he has been through alot

As a very outside chance, I wonder if if it's the smell of your washing powder/drier that's triggering scenting?
I usually wash house things Thumps comes into contact with, twice - with powder & without & dry outside.
When a neighbour kindly washed some cushions for me, after 4 years of having a non-spraying buck. He started to jump on the sofa & pee the cushions. Remedy - Wash them my way with my powder & the spraying stopped.

As a very outside chance, I wonder if if it's the smell of your washing powder/drier that's triggering scenting?
I usually wash house things Thumps comes into contact with, twice - with powder & without & dry outside.
When a neighbour kindly washed some cushions for me, after 4 years of having a non-spraying buck. He started to jump on the sofa & pee the cushions. Remedy - Wash them my way with my powder & the spraying stopped.

They were both brand new:?

Could you use more than one litter tray?- that's what I do for my two as they won't go in just one corner :roll:

Tiny Still wont wee or poo in his litter tray,He just does it all over the fleece in his cage,I was going to put him in the puppy pen today so he had more room,but ive not got anything to cover the carpet and dont really want wee all over it:? Ive never had a rabbit that doesnt use a tray

My bun Ben refused to use a litter tray.... he preferred the rug .... and then taught Daisy to do it too :shock::shock: They live in the garage now :lol::lol:

Back