• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beddings question - longhaired bunnies

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Cotton flops and rolls around in the hay and it gets all tangled brushing him, and i brush him daily which takes 5 mins but im spending longer plucking all the hair out. so i thought, ill get him vetbed for the main cage area, and just do a litter tray. he pooped and peed on the vetbed, and just sat in the tray to eat hay!

what do i do?

I dont have the facilities to continuously wash bedding as my house is rented and if i break the washing machine ill be in ALOT of trouble.

ive gone back to hay as of yesterday as the vetbed stunk, but i cant hand wash it every day :?

how about shredded paper?

do you have a shredder?

We shred our letters etc, and i use some as bunny bedding.

Or i use the soft, tissue like bedding which is usually used for hamsters.
all shredded up into strips.
nice and comfy :love:

no i dont have a shredder unfortunatly. Does that sort of bedding get caught up in the fluff though or not? x

I have Bungle on those foam playmats and then he has his hay in a hay rack so that he doesnt sit in it. His litter tray just has newspaper in. We covered the play matts with newspaper untill he was properly litter trained and now he spends hours shreading paper! Its his favourite game!

He still gets bits of hay tangled in but not as much as he did when I was putting his hay on the floor.

The worst think is sawdust. It took me weeks to get all the bits out of his fur when he first came to me.

Yeh i made the error of using megazorb first :shock:

i thought blankets would be best. annoying as i cant do that! oh well, ill just have to brush him ALOT lol!

also, he had some little matts when me and louise collected him and he is too wriggly for me to attempt to snip them without harming him accidently. they are teensy, i brush him everyday so they do not get any worse but i cant trim them myself.

not sure what to do? ideally a need a rabbit savvy person to help me i guess?

Yeh i made the error of using megazorb first :shock:

i thought blankets would be best. annoying as i cant do that! oh well, ill just have to brush him ALOT lol!

also, he had some little matts when me and louise collected him and he is too wriggly for me to attempt to snip them without harming him accidently. they are teensy, i brush him everyday so they do not get any worse but i cant trim them myself.

not sure what to do? ideally a need a rabbit savvy person to help me i guess?

Getting matts out is a total nightmare but you need to try the small ones as they will get more and more tangled. This week I have been brushing Bungle about 6 times a day. He hates it and wont sit still for long so I do it in little bits. If they are really small they may work out with your fingers. If its a big felt then I usually snip the top layer off it every day untill it has grown out if its too close to the skin. Bungle is a wriggle bum too!

Bungle is getting his adult coat now so is moulting his old one out. As it moults it gets trapped in his other fur and causes massive matting. His adult one is less fluffy though so once its through he will be much easier to maintain.

Yes! :lol: My buns have never complained, and just pee on any blanket I give them :roll:

Snowdrop used to wee on any blankets, beds, carpets! She just had lino tiles in her crate and was fine with it. She now has a bed as she is a big girl and has learned to stop wetting the bed!

I have 3 cashmere lops and I have tried every bedding I could think of in an attempt to find something that wouldn't stick to them! If you want something absorbant then I would recommend carefresh, or biocatolet is quite good too but the smaller bits might still stick. Non of the cheaper bedding is any good unfortunately. Alternatively if you don't mind that it is not as absorbant then newspaper topped with long straw is great, it's cheap and doesn't stick nearly as much as hay :D

Back