• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Surely This Cant be Right ? *WARNING VERY DISTRESSING*

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I have been made aware of a situation whereby a breeder is known to be 'disposing' of 'old stock'. Apparently this has been reported to the RSPCA on more than one occasion as has the fact that the breeder keeps the 'stock' in awful conditions.

The method of 'disposal' is necking and apparently the RSPCA say that this is acceptable as long as the Rabbit 'does not suffer'.

So are they saying that someone who necks their Pet Rabbit to avoid Vet fees etc wont be liable to prosecution ?

Apparently no investigation will be carried out into this breeder as there would need to be proof that the Rabbits 'suffered' before they died ....................

:shock:...:evil::evil::evil:

That's shocking! :(:(:(:( If my bunnies get ill...or I get bored, am I allowed to dispose of them in this way....or because I'm not a breeder, but a humble pet owner, would they do something about it? :evil::evil::evil:

This is what we think has happened to Helen with Baby Saint someone has tried to 'neck' her but not done it right and that's why she is twisted in shape and then they just dumped her and her baby. We also had a beautiful Martin Sable rabbit that the breeder rang Bunny Burrows and said would they take it if not he was going to neck it so of course they did and rehomed it with us. He had been bred for showing but wasn't quite perfect enough, he was absoultely beautiful with a wonderful character.

That does seem odd... but then I've never known the law on culling etc. Many mouse breeders cull males with home made methods (CO2 tanks? Something like that anyway). :(

As horrible as it is I would imagine it is right.

Rabbits can be bred for meat and so as long as they don't suffer the RSPCA can't do anything about them being killed. It would be like someone calling them because a farmer had killed a cow.

I dont agree with it in the slightest but thats the way the rules are in this country.

Yes it is correct, I don't think there is any differentiation in terms of pets and farmed rabbits in the eyes of the RSPCA, logically how can they apply one set of rules to a bunny that is deemed a 'pet' and another to 50 rabbits in a back garden when some are pets, some are for eating, others for showing?? In the end I don't think they bother. What is to stop anyone saying that they have a rabbit but, they are going to eat it? Does that mean then suddenly they only have to meet the minimum guidelines laid out by Defra which are significantly different for example in terms of size of enclosure to the guidelines they are issuing for 'pets'.

I am completely disturbed by what is deemed acceptable by them at the moment, obviously because I have my own rabbits and I know how intelligent, responsive and the fact they do have emotions it makes it more shocking for me that this is allowed to happen, apparently - I have been told by a breeder it is common practice among the 'older' breeders/showers to eat their stock and none are vaccinated and when they fall ill in anyway they are culled. This is even more bizarre in the case of RSPCA inspections being made by appointment, if any of those animals were ill or in need of treatment then they would just kill them before the inspection.:? It's bizarre in my view and I am frankly appauled and disgusted and depressed with what I have experienced in 2010 in a supposedly civilised town in the UK - I have always said if this sort of thing was necessary in Africa or wherever to help sustain a village of human lives then I could kind of justify it in my mind but, not purely for the pleasure of people who don't really need to be doing it, it is not right in my opinion and shouldn't be allowed. I am all for human rights but, not at the expense of animal rights unless it is absolutely necessary to save human lives, not for human 'pleasure'.

There needs to be one set of regulations not guidelines for the welfare of rabbits, covering diet, exercise and housing. Breeding should be clearly licensed and the license only granted if people can demonstrate they have adequate facilities for housing and meeting all the welfare regulations for the animal including enough room to exercise. The license should cost enough money so that the RSPCA are re-imbursed all the expense of inspections prior to licensing. The RSPCA should be able to advise a maximum number of rabbits on inspection and it should be documented on the license. This information should also be passed onto the Inland Revenue so they are paying tax like every other business. They should also be subject to 2 random inspections in a year and be prepared to pay for it to cover the costs for the RSPCA. I also think that there should be legislation in place to say that if people are going to slaughter animals they should have to attend a training course to ensure they have adequate skills to enable it to be completely humane and quick. This should also be chargeable and the money to the RSPCA.

Ultimately if people don't want to pay out then they won't keep rabbits in large numbers in small dirty enclosures and breed purely for personal enjoyment or to 'improve' the lines in weird experiments for the pursuit of perfection! This is never going to be achievable in my view as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, one persons perfect rabbit isn't someone elses. Health should be the most important factor. Sadly people can't be relied upon to put animal welfare first and something has to change for rabbits as it is just going to get worse otherwise.

As horrible as it is I would imagine it is right.

Rabbits can be bred for meat and so as long as they don't suffer the RSPCA can't do anything about them being killed. It would be like someone calling them because a farmer had killed a cow.

I dont agree with it in the slightest but thats the way the rules are in this country.

Your right Snowberry, the only thing that protects other species is their size, sounds, smells etc I am sure some of the people who are keeping rabbits to eat would keep chickens, pigs or cows if they could. They are keeping rabbits because they are small, easy to contain and slaughter and butcher ready to eat. I have an issue with it because I personally think the fact they are small and quiet shouldn't mean they can be kept by anyone, in any rubbish conditions to suit the people. If they want to do it they should have to adhere to strict rules - the animals are entitled to a reasonable standard of living even if it is only for 3 months which is apparently the optimum time to eat one - I think this is true for any of the smaller so - called 'farm' animals like ducks, chickens etc - there should be strict rules to prevent abuse of the species, it's just about providing a good life and humane end which sadly a lot do not get. I also don't think it's very nice that potentially a vegetarian who is very sensitive to animal welfare issues could have someone move in next door with 50 or so rabbits stacked in breeding hutches and they are culling them and then eating them, what about their human rights to go out in their garden and not be depressed or distressed if they hear the animals being culled - it's wrong, unpleasant, unnecessary and frankly ridiculous that it's allowed to happen in an ordinary domestic back garden.

This is exactly why I have very little time for the RSPCA. I'm sure there are some wonderful small branches out there who DO care but the society, in general, stinks!

This is exactly why I have very little time for the RSPCA. I'm sure there are some wonderful small branches out there who DO care but the society, in general, stinks!

I think in terms of rabbits and their welfare it is inadequate, in fairness though it is not equipped with the legislation in place to enable it to do much else, this country needs to raise the status of the RSPCA and have proper legislation in place for the rabbit as a species or really the RSPCA are fighting a losing battle anyway no matter what they try to do.

HEAR HEAR! Vicky P -well said- now all we need is a qualified legal person to draft us up a paper and an MP willing to put it to Parliament.
Anybody?.....sue:wave:

Surely it isn't the RSPCA at fault but the law that they work within.

Thats what I just said, I have every respect for the RSPCA in terms of what they say they stand for and what they would like to be able to enforce isn't actually the same as what they are legally able to do. However, it is incredibly frustrating that they are the only protection for animals in this country and they are so limited in their powers and therefore reluctant to be more pro-active and assertive with bad practice.

HEAR HEAR! Vicky P -well said- now all we need is a qualified legal person to draft us up a paper and an MP willing to put it to Parliament.
Anybody?.....sue:wave:

I am seeing my MP soon and hoping and praying that he is in fact in favour of animal welfare - he was afterall 'told-off' for buying the wild ducks a duck house on expenses :lol: I would have defended him making that purchase on the environmental benefits to the ducks, it was a small amount of money for their benefit, not his personal benefit if you see what I mean ;)

I will try and I am thinking about becoming more involved with politics actually so that eventually I might be able to help make a difference no matter how small.

Back