• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad night

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
Moved the girls upstairs last night, as I wasn't sure I could cope with the sofa again. (If anything my falling down the stairs bumps and bruises are getting worse - and I'm pretty sure the ribs I think are bruised are in fact not just bruised!)

Turns out this was a bad idea!
The girls had a scuffle in the night (Before Ol got me up at 4.00 :shock:). I thought it was just fur pulling, but examining them this morning I feel so bad. :shock::shock::shock:

Pixie has a GIANT bite mark on her back (left side, near the bum) and a hole near her eye.
001-8.jpg

(the picture really doesn't convey it's size :()

002-9.jpg

The eye. The mark on the left is where the hole is. (out of shot is the other half of the bite mark.)

Bluebell has a cut on her ear, top of the head and her side. (But these just look like surface wounds more than anything.
006-6.jpg

the back

007-9.jpg

head

Neither girl seems in pain, and are doing normal bunny things. As you can see they've all healed over already (so I don't think they need stitches.) I feel like such a bad bunny mummy though! :(

I have baytril in the fridge, and was wondering if I should call up the vet and see what dose to give them, or should leave them. They don't need stitches, but I am slightly concerned about infection. :?

Any ideas?

ETA: I'm going to call up the vet anyway, but really don't want to take them in if I don't have to, as Bluebell doesn't like being moved.

Poor girls. :(

I would be very worried about infection too. I would at least ring the vet for advice but would honestly feel happier getting them checked over tomorrow too.

Sending lots of vibes for them both. xxx

Oh no:cry::cry:
Big hugs,don,t blame yourself hun these things happen.
I think any cut/wound needs to be treated.Hopefully your vet won,t have you going there and you can give baytril x

Poor girls. :(

I would be very worried about infection too. I would at least ring the vet for advice but would honestly feel happier getting them checked over tomorrow too.

Sending lots of vibes for them both. xxx

Thing is, when Ted attacked Ruby and I took her to the emergency vet they didn't even weigh her to calculate the amount of baytril to give her. They just asked where the wounds were, and wanted to put her under a GA to stitch her up. She was an 8 week old bunny (I asked for it to be glued.)

I want to take them to MY vet, and would do that at the drop of a hat, but have no trust in the emergency vet. (I'm sure they could tell me the dose....as that comes out of a book ;) but don't trust them with anything else. :roll:)

Oh no:cry::cry:
Big hugs,don,t blame yourself hun these things happen.
I think any cut/wound needs to be treated.Hopefully your vet won,t have you going there and you can give baytril x

I'll call up and ask. :) Poor girlies.

I'm not expert but maybe if they are scabbing over already is it better to leave them alone :? And just keep an eye on them.

I wouldnt of thought the vets could do much, especially as theyre scabbing over now. The one id be mainly worried about is the one near Pixies eye :? Id definately give baytril for a good 5 days :? If you dont already know the dose id call the vets just to check. Hope they will be ok, sorry you had a bad night :( xXx

Ali,

Personally I wouldn't take them to the vets, if the cuts have scabbed over and the skin isn't red/swollen around the wound then they're fine.

In the past when I've been bonding bunnies and had similar wounds people have advised me to take them to the vets asap, so off I rush stressing them and worrying me. Each time the vet has said he didn't want to put them on antibiotics as they look like they're fine, and just to keep an eye on them - any sign of redness, swelling, puss etc to take them back. My vet also seemed to think that house bunnies have a much lower risk of infection than outdoor buns.

As for bathing, if the buns scratch the wounds and open them up, then I'd bathe them but otherwise its best to just leave the scab as it is.

What have you done with the girls? When my two were scuffling, it only happened over night so I'd leave them together in the day and put wire between them at night.

Bev x

I would ring the vets and ask what dosage Baytril they should have and also probably give them some metacam if they were my buns incase they are sore. Obviously check with your vet first though.

I wouldn't take them into the vets if they dont need stitching as the stress wont help them.

Try not to feel too bad. In the 18 months I have had bunnies I have so far dealt with;

Graham tearing the skin on Strawberrys leg. No glue or stitches but had anti-biotics and pain killers.

Strawberry slicing Snowdrops chin open. Was glued together and she had pain killers and antibiotics.

Snowdrop electricuting herself and burning her mouth. Again pain killers and antibiotics.

Snowdrop biting Bungles nose off! GA and stitches and then repeated 2 days later when he picked his stiches out!!

Looks like its Bungles turn to cause some damage next!

I would get the baytril dose and give her some for sure. When I got my bunny patch (RIP) He has been bitten from another bunny when I got him and ended up being pts cos the bite turned into absses and it was awful.

When Truffle attacked Dandy she bit part of his lip off:shock: I did take him to the vets because i panic too much but there was lots of blood and hes a white rabbit:lol: He just had a baytril injection and was fine it all healed lovely
What you going to do with the girls now?

I did the cowards thing and separated them for now. :oops: Try again when their wounds have healed properly.

Just about to call the vets....been rushed off my feet all morning with two babies. :shock::roll:

The problem with rabbit bites is that you don't know how deep they have penetrated just from the outside wound. I think it is always best to get them checked out. You would never forgive yourself if they developed abscesses.

The problem with rabbit bites is that you don't know how deep they have penetrated just from the outside wound. I think it is always best to get them checked out. You would never forgive yourself if they developed abscesses.

Should I take them now to a vets that has no idea about rabbits, or make an appointment for Monday? :? (Is that too late?) I wouldn't forgive myself!

I agree. I'd rather be paranoid (and a bit poorer) than take a chance. I'm sure they would be ok to see your normal vet Monday though, Ali, if you don't have faith in the emergency vet. Apologies, I said 'tomorrow' in my earlier post - thinking today was Sunday - but meant Monday. :oops:

Back