• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

... so can you vary the hay then?

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Am I right in saying then that you can feed all different kinds of grasses and hays - not like changing pellets then. So I could go on to hay experts and order diff kinds of hay and feed it happily to my buns?

Do you mix it all together or give different handfulls each day for a wee change?

Oh I've soooooooo much to learn. Benny and Lola are very patient with me.:oops:

Am I right in saying then that you can feed all different kinds of grasses and hays - not like changing pellets then. So I could go on to hay experts and order diff kinds of hay and feed it happily to my buns?
Do you mix it all together or give different handfulls each day for a wee change?

Oh I've soooooooo much to learn. Benny and Lola are very patient with me.:oops:

I've done this quite a few times, without any consequences, but I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do.:oops:

hay is gooood no matter what, though my lot turn there noses up at cheap nasty hay, though cant say i blame them, mine love oat wheat and barley, and timmy hay

hay experts do sample packs if you prefere as some buns can be fussy

Yes, I think generally speaking you can vary the hay. If your rabbits are very young or particularly sensitive I guess you could see a difference in poops as hays vary in their nutritional content. I would just give a small handfull of a new variety, one at a time and watch for any changes but I don't think you'll have a problem. I believe you can get sample packs so you can let them pick their favourite. Why not have a look at Holidayhutches pet supplies website www.animalmagicpetsupplies.co.uk where you can get sample packs of hay and help to raise much needed funds for a rescue at the same time.

Mine aren't that fussed for Timothy hay but like the ones with added herbs.

Yes, I think generally speaking you can vary the hay. If your rabbits are very young or particularly sensitive I guess you could see a difference in poops as hays vary in their nutritional content. I would just give a small handfull of a new variety, one at a time and watch for any changes but I don't think you'll have a problem. I believe you can get sample packs so you can let them pick their favourite. Why not have a look at Holidayhutches pet supplies website www.animalmagicpetsupplies.co.uk where you can get sample packs of hay and help to raise much needed funds for a rescue at the same time.

Mine aren't that fussed for Timothy hay but like the ones with added herbs.

So I'll treat the hay like adding new veg then? Slowly but surely!! Mine love Timothy hay and I give them some Burges with marigold etc but they def love the Timothy stuff. I came home today and saw Benson through the window with about 5 or 6 stalks of it disappearing into his furry little face!

So I'll treat the hay like adding new veg then? Slowly but surely!! Mine love Timothy hay and I give them some Burges with marigold etc but they def love the Timothy stuff. I came home today and saw Benson through the window with about 5 or 6 stalks of it disappearing into his furry little face!

Well it sounds like they have a variety already so if that's not causing a problem I would try anything you like. One of mine was rather sensitive when he was a babe so I approached everthing with caution.

Happy days then! I was on that site. When I can be bothered to lever myself off the settee to get my handbag I shall go on and order the sample packs - and maybe something to spoil my bunnies!

thanks - have got so much helpful advice from folks on this forum - wiser more experienced bunny parents. I'm learning!

I must take my own advise and order some bits too - like you I need to go find my purse! I think you need to mention somewhere that you are an RU'er - there's a thread in fundraising I think.

From the back of my Oxbow hay pack:-

Hay is a variable product because it is grown in natural conditions. Each season creates hay that will look, feel and taste different. To avoid a picky eater resistant to these changes, offer your pet a variety of grass hay.

I've always fed a few different varieties of hay based on this, but I guess it's always wise to try just a little at first to minimise any upsets.

I've always fed mine a variety! Currently in their hay bowl they have a small handul of readigrass, two large handfuls of Burns oat wheat & Barley and the Alfalfa King Timothy Hay. In their large hay basket up one end they have a mountain of cheapy hay from a hay bale and up the other they have Stalky hay from The Dust Free Hay Company! It's nice to watch them pick and choose which bits of hay to nom it's like people at a party picking and choosing from the various nibbles :lol:

Yes that fine. The only hays and grasses which cannot be given freely are readigrass and alfafa hay. I have bedding hay and separate treat hay in their baskets.

Back