• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! - Licking - Toffee - Photos added!

LilVicky

Warren Veteran
My bun Toffee keeps licking under his chin, and making it very sore in places.
He is licking the fur away and making scabs.

ive put some wound powder on it, but he wont stop licking it. Whenever i look at him during the day he is doing it! :(

Any ideas?

:( :( :( :(

Last edited:
Anyone? :(

in my signature, you can see a little bit of fur missing under his chin, but now its getting worse :(

how is he eating? how is his poos?

when linus got a bald patch under his chin it was for dentals

how is he eating? how is his poos?

when linus got a bald patch under his chin it was for dentals

He is eating fine, just getting them to eat more hay at the moment, which seems to be working :lol:
His poos seem abit runny lately, which i hope to fix by getting him to eat more hay, as he has never been a big hay eater. :oops:
he will be 4 this year.

the worst part/s is to the side, where he can reach better, kind of like on his shoulder part. (if you know what i mean :oops:)
This is the part which has started to get small scabs

might be worth getting his teeth checked bigs had some spurs removed at 4, hes 6 this years but hes a huge hay and willow eater so have had no more probs

i cant think of anything else of why sorry :(

fur plucking is sometimes linked to some form of pain ??

might be worth getting his teeth checked bigs had some spurs removed at 4, hes 6 this years but hes a huge hay and willow eater so have had no more probs

i cant think of anything else of why sorry :(

Well i have said to my mum that if he doesnt stop, he IS going to the vets. :(
i just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and their views etc.

Thanks for replying xx

Hmmmm I don't know really but would definitely suggest a vet trip is in order, sooner rather than later, if it is his teeth you don't want to wait until he stops eating. Has he got any "dandruff" was wondering if it could be mites :?

Hmmmm I don't know really but would definitely suggest a vet trip is in order, sooner rather than later, if it is his teeth you don't want to wait until he stops eating. Has he got any "dandruff" was wondering if it could be mites :?

I didnt see any dandruff when i just gave him another check over and put more powder on it to stop any infections.
Will have another good look over him tomorrow just to check, and check everything.
The earliest time i can get him to a vet would be Tuesday, as parents are both working this weekend and monday.

I didnt see any dandruff when i just gave him another check over and put more powder on it to stop any infections.
Will have another good look over him tomorrow just to check, and check everything.
The earliest time i can get him to a vet would be Tuesday, as parents are both working this weekend and monday.

Might be worth checking the other two as well, if it is mites they may all have it.
If it gets worse or there is any other reason for you to worry I can always take you to the vets :wave:

Might be worth checking the other two as well, if it is mites they may all have it.
If it gets worse or there is any other reason for you to worry I can always take you to the vets :wave:

Thanks Louise,
Will get him checked first, and if he has mites or anything that the girls could have too ill take them straight to the vets too.

x

Will give Toffee a check over this afternoon and ill try and get some photos of under his chin, where he is licking etc. so you can see what i mean about making scabs etc.

:wave:

i would get it checked by a vet asap just to be on the safe side.

Pierre had somthing similar. his dental problems had caused him to dribble which resulted in a skin infection under his chin.
he had the same symptoms, hair loss, scabs, inflammation.

i would get it checked by a vet asap just to be on the safe side.

Pierre had somthing similar. his dental problems had caused him to dribble which resulted in a skin infection under his chin.
he had the same symptoms, hair loss, scabs, inflammation.

Yeah, like i said above, the earliest i can get to a vet is Tuesday if my brother can take me and my mum.
Its not dribbling.. as far as i know.
i know ive seen him licking it.
he licked it while he is out in the garden and in the hutch :?
But will get him check as soon as i can.

xx

Just checked him all over,
Doesnt seem to have dandruff or mites, his fur is clean.
Mum tried checking his teeth, she said they looked ok, and if it was his teeth he wouldnt eat as much as he does, would he? :?

Going to keep a close eye on him for a few days, see if it gets any worse etc.
Hopefully he'll stop licking it... :roll:

Could he be licking it because he is bored? :?

Ps, sorry didnt get a chance to take photos.

Photos:

Sorry they arent that great, he is in the hutch, where the lighting isnt great.
And sorry for the mess, clean out day tomorrow :wave:

As you can see, fur is missing and a few scabs which are clean.

P1250068.jpg

P1250066.jpg

Best i can do today, dont want to keep stressing him out :(

Another photo from last night when he came out in the garden, abit better.

P1250073.jpg

Could he just be doing it because of boredom?
He has been licking it for quite a while now, and its only just gone all scabby etc from it, from all the times he has been doing it.
If it was dental, he would have stopped eating by now? as he has been licking down there for ages? :?
We are still keeping close eye on him and the girls.
Checking them over everyday making sure its not getting worse etc.

as you can see its not dribbling, as its not direct under his chin, its to the side where he turns his head to lick :roll:

I really don't know, I don't think it could be boredom as your buns have a lot of stimulation and each other.

I really would advise getting him to the vet as soon as you can, I don't think it is going to resolve itself :?

I really don't know, I don't think it could be boredom as your buns have a lot of stimulation and each other.

I really would advise getting him to the vet as soon as you can, I don't think it is going to resolve itself :?

I agree completely with this post.

Back