• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

home from spaying! HELP

angieb

Mama Doe
miffy and binny have been spayed today...........i picked them up approx 4-30 and since then they have just led in their litter tray........miffy has had a little hop around but bunny hasn't moved apart from look up at me. Is this quite normal? :?
I dont think theyve eaten or had a drink,, should they be doing that now? :?
I am just about to give them some c-care and see if they will nibble on some parsley????

Last edited:
do i push the c-care now or should i give them longer?
I am really struggling cause it wont go up the sryinge :? The vet gave me some metocam to bring home and that has a wider tipped shyringe but it still wont go in......on the pkt it says 1part to 2 parts water and i did more than that! I ended up spoon feeding them and they could do with a bib! :) I think they only had about a spoon full each in the end......
Should i try again or leave them for a while? :? :?

:wave: i got my bunny done last thursday and i picked her up at half 2 and it must have took her till 10 before i knew she had had a tiny nibble on some banana but by the next morning she was eating more so id wait make sure there warm and if they have not eaten by mid day tomorrow id take them back as my dad told me told last week 'she has just had an operation so obviously she not going to want to eat straightaway' thats what i would do anyway hopefully some one else who have had more rabbits spayed will come along

I would not be syringe feeding at this stage. They have both had a major op' and it is perfectly normal for them to be very quiet and not eating for the first few hours after surgery. I would leave them to rest, make sure they have a bowl of water nearby (they are more likely to drink from a bowl than a bottle) aswell as leaving small amounts of their favorite veg.

I assume they are indoors ? If not they need to be, at least for tonight.

They should both have poo'd, wee'd and eaten a little by early tomorrow morning.

:wave: it took my Sooty until the next day to eat - just keep trying things to tempt her - herbs, dandelion leaves etc go down well!

Make sure they have plenty of water and are kept warm..

They should perk up soon - they are probably very uncomfortable from the surgery and some pain relief when it is due will go down well xx

thankyou thankyou and thankyou again!! :D
I thought i was worrying to soon,, yes they are indoors and prob will be for nxt couple of days...........Miffy has had a wee but no poo's as yet. Bunny hasn't moved bless her.......

thanks again i feel better now. :D :roll:

lol its amazing how much we worry isnt it i was a wreck last week when mine went in i knew exactly what she had eaten and was checking on her all time until i got told to leave her alone as she doesnt want me hassling her all the time and she was back to her normal self within 2 days

thankyou thankyou and thankyou again!! :D
I thought i was worrying to soon,, yes they are indoors and prob will be for nxt couple of days...........Miffy has had a wee but no poo's as yet. Bunny hasn't moved bless her.......

thanks again i feel better now. :D :roll:

Dont worry I was exactly the same!! It is so worrying isnt it... I have never been so pleased to see a pile of poops!!! - I actually wooped out loud :lol::lol:

right.....i have given them their pain killer.. Miffy seems better than bunny,, miffy has eaten a little hay and some spinich leaf, bunny is still sprawled out in her toilet but she had a nibble of spinich.. they have both had a little wee but no poo's yet. i havn't seen them drink either?? but with the kids running about they are in the porch way where its quiet!
should i start syringe feeding? :? should i be overly worried yet? :? :roll:

It might be worth phoning your vet for advice. Try to encourage them with herbs.

With regards to syringe feeding: If you have the 1ml syringe it's best to cut the end of it and file of any sharpe bits. That way the CC wil go up better and feed at the side of the mouth.

bunny is up and looks a little brighter......miffy has poo'd and i saw her nibbleing pellets....so hopefully bunny will start soon?? she is cleaning herself and looks brighter so fingers crossed. :D

I hope she starts munching soon!

When I had my female, Bunny, spayed last year, she didn't take long to come round and start eating, drinking, pooing, etc. However, I had my other girl, Belle, spayed a few weeks back - she was spayed early on the Friday morning, and didn't start eating her pellets til the middle of the night on Saturday. She was eating lots of veg though - I gave her wild rocket as this was her favourite, and she did eventually move on to the hay throughout the Saturday, but she really did scare me, seeing as I'd had no problems with the other one!

Keep us posted! :)

just seen bunny nibblein on hay...she is also scratching and eating the cardboard that i have put under the blanket! :roll: so i guess she is feeling alot better and the pain killer must of kicked in! :D

The other prob i have is when to put them back outside? bunny isnt too bad cause she has a large dog crate but miffy only has a medium indoor cage and not much room..........i feel a bit sorry for her! :roll: The vets says they should be ok to go out today but its gonna freeze tonight again,, but i dont want to put them out too soon or leave it too long because to be honest they dont really like it inside! :?

they are BOTH eating now! :D :D and they've eaten quite a bit. i think its cause its been quiet cause my little boy had a swimming lesson so we went out. they dont like it inside. i could do without the freezing weather.....

I am going to keep them in again tonight,, but im worried about miffy and the cage because its soo small. I am hopeing to let her have a hop around later but i'm stuck for space.... :roll:

i know i'm so relieved! :D lots of little poo's too! :D

when i had my cats done they were unbelieveable....the vet told me to keep em quiet, and to wait a couple of hours until i fed them again. when i got them home they pinched a pouch of food when i went on the school run and then they ran around the house like idiots till 11pm that night...:roll: :lol: you would of never known they'd had surgery!

but i am so happy the buns seem to be on the right road....fingers crossed. :D

Back