• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Set Up

wally4eva

Mama Doe
In a previous thread I was looking at getting a new hutch and run, but after a discussion with my family we have come up with a better idea.
At the back of our garden we have a area were we have swings (from when I was younger).
We thought that if we got rid of the swings and had some grass put in it would be perfect for a rabbit area.

I was thinking that we could get a shed or wendy house for rabbits to stay at night and then making a big fenced area, tall enough to stand in for them to play in the daytime.

This area will be for probably 2 rabbits. We have one at the moment but are looknig for a friend for him. He is a dwarf and we will be getting another small rabbit.

Does anybody know of any cheaply priced shed or wendy houses that would be suitable?
And what type of fence/mesh would be best to use around the edge?
Also, if the rabbits eat the grass everyday how do I make sure there is always grass for them there to eat?

I would appreciate any photos of setups in sheds or wendy houses please :)

Thank you

Last edited:
I think wendy houses will be expensive - what is the advantage of one over, say, a 6x4ft shed? They do look a lot nicer, I admit, but I have seen people on here recommend decent sheds for around £100. If you are set on having a wendy house and have transport, you could look on ebay.

You can buy mesh in rolls is B and Q and Wickes, also on ebay. You can also buy it in 2ft x 2ft panels, which are a lot easier to handle (no cutting or sharp edges), but these have gone up to around £5, so are quite expensive. I would use a mesh with smallish holes - not chicken wire as I don't think that is particularly strong. I made a pen for our 2 and it wasn't difficult (though one panel needs re-doing as I didn't use thick enough wood).

I think the grass under a permanent run is going to be eaten/dug up pretty
quickly. I know lots of people on here have the run on concrete flags and have a box of grass for them to nibble on.

I'm not set on buying a wendy house, but I'm looking for roughly 5ft hight and all the sheds are taller.
A shed would be ok though if its the cheapest option.
Thanks

Last edited:
Have a look for second hand ones :) I'd personally go for 6' height if there is room cos it's easier to walk in/out without bashing your head :D

There are some good dog kennels with attached runs available. They come in sizes ranging from 4ft x 10ft or longer and can be around 5ft-6ft high. You just need to make sure the kennel part is roomy enough and then the run can be as long as you want to make it or have room for. KarenM has a lovely set up if you can find her previous post with pics. Others here also have fab kennel set ups (sorry I can't remember names) but I'm sure they will share their pics with you to give you some ideas.

Good luck :D

There are some good dog kennels with attached runs available. They come in sizes ranging from 4ft x 10ft or longer and can be around 5ft-6ft high. You just need to make sure the kennel part is roomy enough and then the run can be as long as you want to make it or have room for. KarenM has a lovely set up if you can find her previous post with pics. Others here also have fab kennel set ups (sorry I can't remember names) but I'm sure they will share their pics with you to give you some ideas.

Good luck :D

I'll have a look. :)

You'd be better off with weld mesh- chicken wire like that can be bad for bunnies gums if they chew on it, and weld mesh is more fox proof

If I get a cat flap to go from the shed to the run, is there ones that you can lock, so you can lock it at night time and open it in the morning?

From all I've read they learn very quickly - some people peg the flap open for the first couple of days for them to learn. :)

If your rabbits are anything like Jack they'll soon find it and work it out - Jack's very nosy and loves to investigate anything and everything lol.

From all I've read they learn very quickly - some people peg the flap open for the first couple of days for them to learn. :)

If your rabbits are anything like Jack they'll soon find it and work it out - Jack's very nosy and loves to investigate anything and everything lol.

Ok, thanks :)

Back