• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just had a rabbit signed over to me... SO LOVELY! :)

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
The poor little guy has Osteomyelitis in his front left elbow joint :cry:

He is only 6 months old.

He will be seeing our Rabbit Savvy vet after work tonight.

The owner had kept him like this since before Christmas :censored::evil:

Will keep you updated.

Last edited:
aww poor guy,:( what exactly is that ???

Infection of the bone :(

It most likely started off as a cut or bite wound but, because it was left untreated, the infection has spread to his bone. It is highly likely the leg will have to be amputated :(

He also has mites! :evil:

aw noooooooooooo fingers crossed for the poor guys, hope the mites are not to bad :(

What was the outcome? :(

We were were taking him for a check-up when he got his front incisor teeth stuck in the wire pet carrier and by the time we arrived at the vets he had pulled one of the teeth out and this was the start of malocclusion which eventually lead to Osteomyelitis and he was on pain relief and we would take him for head x-rays every month to see how far the infection had spread in the jaw bone.
He was doing ok and then he started sneezing a lot and we had the vet checking him for foreign bodies up his nose and it turned out to be a bug living in the infected bone and sadly it was the constant sneezing that killed him we think.
He went on his litter tray and started sneezing jumped out of his litter tray collapsed on the floor and started screaming and my Husband picked him up and drove with him to our vets which at the time was less than 3 minutes away but he was dead on arrival, and they think he had a heart attack.
He was a wonderful rabbit and he is the inspiration of why I rescue rabbits when I can today, it's our way of saying 'Thank You'.

This little man is so sweet.

Just got back from the vets...he is having his leg amputated and being castrated at the same time on Monday.

He is currently in our bathroom as I am worried about the fleas on him. He has been treated with Xenex Ultra but we have seperate clothes for when we see him as I do not want to risk my bunnies.

He has had some Metacam and Baytril.

And...he is tucking into hay!!!! :D

He puts no weight on the leg at all but still tries his hardest to wash his face with both paws.

He has scabs all over his ears so both the vet and I have a feeling he was kept with another un-neutered male. This is probably how his problem with his leg began (an un-treated bite).

Just got to think of a new name for the poor soul.

Will try and get some pics when he is a bit more settled.

Oh bless his little heart :love: Lots of vibes for his operation.

Advantage will kill the fleas over night, so thats probably your best bet :)

Thanks Liz...do you have much experience of a bunny who has lost a leg? x

We have 3 hind leg amputees here. They all manage incredibly well. I know it is a little more problematic for them to loose a front limb but considering he isn't weight bearing on it anyway he will probably feel a lot better for having it removed :) Keep an eye on his hind limbs to make sure he doesn't develop sore hocks. We have had a few with disabled front legs and that has always been a major problem.

Definately need some pictures of him when he is feeling up to it :love:

We have 3 hind leg amputees here. They all manage incredibly well. I know it is a little more problematic for them to loose a front limb but considering he isn't weight bearing on it anyway he will probably feel a lot better for having it removed :) Keep an eye on his hind limbs to make sure he doesn't develop sore hocks. We have had a few with disabled front legs and that has always been a major problem.

Definately need some pictures of him when he is feeling up to it :love:

Luckily his hocks look fine at the mo.

I am hoping the fact that he is young will stand him in good stead.

His poos are shocking!

x

Luckily his hocks look fine at the mo.

I am hoping the fact that he is young will stand him in good stead.

His poos are shocking!

x

He should manage just fine then, the younger they are the easier they cope. But as he grows and puts more weight on his hind legs it will probably affect his hocks in years to come, so something to keep an eye on in the future.

Wishing him the best of luck :D

He should manage just fine then, the younger they are the easier they cope. But as he grows and puts more weight on his hind legs it will probably affect his hocks in years to come, so something to keep an eye on in the future.

Wishing him the best of luck :D

Thanks Liz.

Don't know if he will be staying long term. I don't really want any more bunnies for the time being so he may be up for rehoming when he is well enough and I am strong enough to let him go! :roll:

Back