• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homer - Update 11/3

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
Further to this thread.....
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=216725

I am pleased to say that we have had some semi-good news from our vet. I did tell him I could kiss him. :oops:

Homer's results showed High reticylates (or whatever they are). He has had X-ray taken but there is nothing obvious showing on there. There are a couple of discs that may be out a little in his back which may be causing him pain and may also explain why I thought his back leg was "flopping" slightly when sitting down (he was fine hopping around).

He is staying in for another 24 hours to monitor his eating and will be given anti-inflammatory and painkiller. He will be kept on a drip to help protect his kidneys over the next 24 hours and hopefully he will be discharged along with meds.

Thank you all for your support and PMs, it really does help at times like this to know that you are there. :love:

Last edited:
Fantastic :D is there such thing as a bunny chiropractor?! I wonder if he's another bunny whose done a secret crazy binky :roll:

We are not out of the woods yet and will wait and see what the vet says tomorrow when we can have a proper face to face chat.

I hope that Homer will be home tomorrow.
I expect the Vet will explain all the findings to you and suggest treatment options xx

Homer is Home

We have just brought him home.:D

Basically my vet (who is an exotics expert and very good with bunnies) has said he has not seen anything like it before. The blood results along with X-rays are not showing anything definitive that would make Homer lose weight and feel so unwell. The only thing that appears to be suspect is some of the discs in his spine are not 100% but this may not be the cause. He is also a neurologist so can read his X-rays pretty good.

Homer is now on vetergesic and Metacam and is to go back on Wednesday morning (before then obviously if there is anything else).

He is very sleepy at the moment and we are trying to get him to eat. Would be grateful for any eating vibes (he is pooping).

Thank you all for your support, it means a great deal at times like this. You are a great bunch.:love:

Tons of eating vibes for Homer xx
Do you have any herbs in? I sometimes find mine will be tempted by some lavender, parsley etc if they are feeling grotty. I really hope he improves x

He has eaten some kale, parsley, coriander, basil and has just had a few pellets. It is a start. I need to get some weight back on him.

:DWell, you would have thought he had been starved for a year last night. He ate quite a bit of kale, parsely, spring greens, coriander, basil and some more pellets. He has also been eating this morning OK.

He is jumping in and out of his dog bed fine and hopping around fine. Poops are also fine. A few squishy ones this morning but not too bad.

He had a good drink of his warmish water this morning too which I couldn't get him to do last night.

He actually looks like he is putting on a bit of weight on already as it is not concaved (is that the right word ) as much around his back legs.

I love my little man.:love::love::love::love::love:

That's the news I was hoping to read :D

Keep up the good work Homer xx

Thank you Jane. He is one brave bunny.:love:

I am going to try to get in touch with my vet today to check on meds, he was so bright this morning I was wondering if we could cut down the vetergesic.

My little guy went for his check up this yesterday, his weight is back up to 3.7 kg (he does fluctuate a bit from 3.5 - 3.9 ish).

My vet seems to think he may have had pain from his spine that stressed his body which could have caused his low blood counts. The plan now is to reduce his metacam for 2 weeks and then none for the next 2 weeks (he is no longer on vetergesic but we have some in case of emergency)

At his next check up in 4 weeks time they will take some more bloods as he will have been off the meds for 2 weeks so should get an idea if things are settling down. If things are not or if it gets worse, then an MRI is an option.

Not sure how I feel about this as if anything does show then the option is surgery on his spine and I would really need to look into this. I will cross this bridge when or if it comes to it but if anyone has any experience, I would welcome your feedback.

Last edited:
Back