• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dont know why I bother.......

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Ever since I had Theo he has always been anti-social but he did like the occasional bit of fuss.

Him and Cleo live outside and as such dont get too much human contact- especially over the winter. . . I can understand them not being so used to being stroked etc....

However, Cleo still loves being stroked but Theo is a nightmare. All he does is pull Cleo's hair out and chase her when people are around (although they do love each other when they are alone)

I try to stroke him and all he does is growl and try and box me- I just dont get him. Will he ever be happy? Its really depressing because I cant go out and Fuss Cleo because he runs over to 'break it up' and nips her bum and they both run off together.......

I just feel like with Earl and with Cleo - that looking after them is worthwhile and enjoyable but with Theo i just feel I can never make him happy and I feel guilty that Cleo is having to put up with his constant moods.

Does anyone else ever feel so rejected by one of their buns that they wonder if it was ever worth it? I just cant see why he isnt like the others. I know netherlands are notoriously moody ..... Is it too late to try to 'tame' him again? Like when he was a baby?

All buns have different personalities...you have to accept them how they are, but a few suggestions, can you try putting Theo in a cage/crate (maybe by bribing with food) when you want to fuss Cleo? If you do this for a while it may break the cycle of seeing you fussing Cleo/chasing? This worked with me, Gus used to chase Poppy terribly at feeding time, for about a month I locked him in the dog crate while I got the food out and put it in a bowl...it stopped him doing it.

Another thing, can you spend some time with then, not fussing Cleo, just sitting with them?

All buns have different personalities...you have to accept them how they are, but a few suggestions, can you try putting Theo in a cage/crate (maybe by bribing with food) when you want to fuss Cleo? If you do this for a while it may break the cycle of seeing you fussing Cleo/chasing? This worked with me, Gus used to chase Poppy terribly at feeding time, for about a month I locked him in the dog crate while I got the food out and put it in a bowl...it stopped him doing it.

Another thing, can you spend some time with then, not fussing Cleo, just sitting with them?

Yeah thats a good idea, I can always shut him in the hutch whilst I sit in the run with Cleo.

I like to sit out with them in the run but keep getting a soggy bum in this weather lol- need a piece of something to sit on I think- in the summer I love it !!

:wave: This is just my feeling, no I don't think it's too late, I also think this behaviour is more demonstrative for the others benefit. He is re-inforcing his position by 'proving' his strength and bravery I think. I do think it will take a long time though and will involve sitting down with him and letting him come to you or at the very least just hand feeding him his greens everyday. I think if you can kneel down and put your head down towards your knees he may sniff your forehead and you may be able to touch noses and have a bunny kiss. I think it's time, you need to try and interact really frequently with them to build a mutual respect, I would also let the doe deal with him unless he is really aggressive, she will eventually tell him off I think, if you interfere you might cause him to demonstrate that behaviour to you and then to her again anyway, he is obviously the dominant buck and is feeling that he needs to demonstrate it. Have you reprimanded him for dominant behaviour at all?

:wave: This is just my feeling, no I don't think it's too late, I also think this behaviour is more demonstrative for the others benefit. He is re-inforcing his position by 'proving' his strength and bravery I think. I do think it will take a long time though and will involve sitting down with him and letting him come to you or at the very least just hand feeding him his greens everyday. I think if you can kneel down and put your head down towards your knees he may sniff your forehead and you may be able to touch noses and have a bunny kiss. I think it's time, you need to try and interact really frequently with them to build a mutual respect, I would also let the doe deal with him unless he is really aggressive, she will eventually tell him off I think, if you interfere you might cause him to demonstrate that behaviour to you and then to her again anyway, he is obviously the dominant buck and is feeling that he needs to demonstrate it. Have you reprimanded him for dominant behaviour at all?

Thats helpful thanks! I could hand feed him Fenugreek crunchies- He hates veg- he hates everything really. .....

Reprimanded? How do you mean?

:lol: No I wouldn't do that, that's what I meant, unless of course he is really in danger of hurting her or you. With regards yourself I would actually turn my back on him when he is aggressive and then as I said kneel down and put your head down to your knees, he should see this as submissive and non-threatening and come over to re-assure you. I actually think intervening by separating them at all will iinstinctively increase his resentment of you and feeling his position is threatened in some way. There may also be an element of jealousy involved, I wouldn't approach him or the doe, I would sit down and wait for them to come to you. I wouldn't stroke him until he touches you first. If he is aggressive move away from him and turn your back on him. Instinctively it may be him that approaches first, he may also be being hostile to you as a demonstration of how protective he can be to her. These are just my thoughts, by no means necessarily right but, it's up to you to consider all the options and then work out a way of handling it, I would remain confident though. I think he probably really loves you and wants a bond but, possibly lack of contact and the other issues are coming to the fore and he is using you to demonstrate on inadvertently. Best of luck I hope it works out and you can both have a stronger bond. xx

:lol: No I wouldn't do that, that's what I meant, unless of course he is really in danger of hurting her or you. With regards yourself I would actually turn my back on him when he is aggressive and then as I said kneel down and put your head down to your knees, he should see this as submissive and non-threatening and come over to re-assure you. I actually think intervening by separating them at all will iinstinctively increase his resentment of you and feeling his position is threatened in some way. There may also be an element of jealousy involved, I wouldn't approach him or the doe, I would sit down and wait for them to come to you. I wouldn't stroke him until he touches you first. If he is aggressive move away from him and turn your back on him. Instinctively it may be him that approaches first, he may also be being hostile to you as a demonstration of how protective he can be to her. These are just my thoughts, by no means necessarily right but, it's up to you to consider all the options and then work out a way of handling it, I would remain confident though. I think he probably really loves you and wants a bond but, possibly lack of contact and the other issues are coming to the fore and he is using you to demonstrate on inadvertently. Best of luck I hope it works out and you can both have a stronger bond. xx

Thank you! feeling a lot better now! ?Exited to try it out!

Back