• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not very weather proof hutches

Is it just me - or do others find that these grand and wonderful hutches we buy just aren't very weather proof or indeed practical? It frustrates me that to keep the hutch dry you have to buy these awful plastic covers.

I am sorely tempted to have a go at creating a genuinely, everything you could need for all weathers, hutch of my own!

My buns spend most of their time running loose in the garden and in and out of the house - I only shut them in at night, but I would be happier if I knew the hutch was properly weather proof (rain or sun).

Maybe I'm just too fussy! Any thoughts?

Yes, understandable, I have the hutches in the garage over winter (no cars in there just rabbit paraphernalia). So they can run around happily (pop in and out to the garden if they want).

Just seems no-one has constructed what I would consider an ideal rabbit hutch.

My hutch is coming up to 3 years old, and it's still fab at keeping the inside dry. I only put a thin sheet of plastic over the front of the hutch, and this keeps it completely dry and weatherproof.

My brand new happy hutch has mold growing on the inside of the roof and even my nice playhouses and sheds are damp inside. I don't think we have had a day without rain or snow in weeks :( It is getting really depressing :(

One of my sheds/dog kennels WAS damp...................until I ripped out all of the insulation and started leaving the internal door wide open during the day. A good old blast of fresh air soon dried it all out. It's stayed nice and dry now even with loads of rain and drizzle.

So I think the answer to damp sheds is make sure there's PLENTY of air circulating around the inside. My vet always said the cattle in open-sided sheds with a howling gale blowing through them were much healthier than those in a closed barn. The same applies to bunnies. As long as there's somewhere in their shed/hutch that is draft-proof, the remainder of their des-res should have good air circulation.

One of my sheds/dog kennels WAS damp...................until I ripped out all of the insulation and started leaving the internal door wide open during the day. A good old blast of fresh air soon dried it all out. It's stayed nice and dry now even with loads of rain and drizzle.

So I think the answer to damp sheds is make sure there's PLENTY of air circulating around the inside. My vet always said the cattle in open-sided sheds with a howling gale blowing through them were much healthier than those in a closed barn. The same applies to bunnies. As long as there's somewhere in their shed/hutch that is draft-proof, the remainder of their des-res should have good air circulation.

All my sheds and playhouses have the door fully open everyday and they are still soaked and moldy. I've insulated them and now that has mold on too :(

Heaters

I have a halogen heater in the garage (safely located out of the way of roaming bunnies and sheilded from their line of vision so they are not disturbed by the bright light!) - it keeps the damp and cold at bay, hutch dry and cosy, and importantly it doesn't overheat or dry out the atmosphere.

They can pop in and out of the garage, or if it's raining they can play "indoors".

Once the warmer weather comes and the hutches are back out in the garden is when the weatherproofing becomes more of an issue for me. We are in the North East of Scotland so balmy summer days are not the norm. ;)

I've not had a problem with damp inside. Our roof does have 2-3" overlap all round though, I think that helps. And it's 1/2" tounge n groove, not ply, with a coat of varnish.

I have Forsham Arks Very Big Hutches and can honestly say they are not damp or mouldy at all despite being outside in the weather (inside aviary runs - but they are all wire mesh no roof).

Well Thistle Hall is not waterproof in the slightest. I've been out there every other night with a hairdryer... :?

I'm going to buy a huge, clear plastic sheet to cover it up on all sides, but I agree I shouldn't have to.

Well Thistle Hall is not waterproof in the slightest. I've been out there every other night with a hairdryer... :?

I'm going to buy a huge, clear plastic sheet to cover it up on all sides, but I agree I shouldn't have to.

No, I agree, we really shouldn't have to - these grand hutches are supposed to be all-singing all-dancing (whilst we do need to ensure extra warmth for our rabbits in the winter) weather-proofing for normal rain etc., should be factored into the build.

Does make me a bit cross. What I find more worrying is that people who are not as dotty about their buns (as everyone on here is), may not even think to ensure extra weatherproofing, shading or heat - depending on the weather.

Back