• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buzz's vet visit

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I took Buzz to the vet this morning because he is losing weight. She said that he is exactly the right weight for his size, even though his bones are protruding. I asked her if she could prescribe some critical care for him and she said that it's not bulking up that he needs. She said she can tell that he has been so badly treated by humans in the past that he expends a lot of nervous energy all the time and that is using up all the energy in his food before he has time to put the weight on.

She checked his molars and said that the left side "wasn't very good" but that she didn't want to do anything about it until a month's time when he should have a dental. For a 6 month old bun, this isn't a good prognosis.

I'm trying to get him to eat hay but he refuses, and it looks like one of the only options might be getting him a female bun to make him calmer (if my OH agrees) or looking to bond him with someone else's lonely bun (if my OH refuses to get another rabbit.) Hmmm

At least you have some answers. Poor Buzz having to go through a dental so soon. Its a shame they didn't do it while he was neutered. I'll try him on some of that hay from Carterton and some others I got here to see if he likes them.

If he doesn't eat any hay at all I'd say he needs CC or SR anyway, for the fibre. It might help him to regain his trust in humans too, if he loves the taste like my 2 do.

Thanks for your support guys.

The vet has suggested that it may be possibility further down the line, if my OH doesn't want to get another rabbit that she take him and add him to her bunny group of twenty that she has free-ranging in an acre of her garden. The idea that anyone could do this amazes me, especially as she said they all form their own little social groups and then stay in them. She said there are about 5 groups out of the twenty she has and that Buzz may be able to fall in with one of them. I suppose that is a last resort option if he is still desperate for company and my OH won't get him a wife-bun.

Is it possible to get critical care without it being prescribed by a vet? I was under the impression that she'd give me a "prescription" for it today.

You just buy critical care on the internet without a prescription. Vet UK stock it and if you click via Kirkby rescue, they get a donation. Ive deleted your address again:roll::roll: Lets try again and send you some hay. I would try him on different hays first and then some made up porridge to increase his weight. I don't think critical care is going to bulk him up. Either way, a box is handy to have in the house if you have a bunny who has stopped eating.

Is she waiting a month for dental as she feels his lack of weight is dangerous for anaesthesia? He may not be eating hay as his mouth hurts.

Last edited:
She said the teeth were bad, but not bad enough to warrant an emergency dental, and in the time from now until he has a dental I should consider whether I can get him bonded with another rabbit to make him happier and to eat different types of hay so that the effects of these two "main aggravating factors" are taken away and he has a good chance of the teeth not getting worse after they are dentalled.

My OH was at the vet with me and said it wasn't out of the question to get another bun, but I think he'd want to consider it over a longer period of time. I think I definitely need to try him with different types of hay though, so luckily Hurricain Honey's got some and you've got some Raine. Then I can buy the type that he (hopefully) wants to eat. I'll send you my address again Raine - perhaps to your email address? I know what you mean, I always get a message saying PM message box too full then I just delete everything.

Vet said "why can't you bond him to Ralph and Ruby?" but the time that Ralph jumped out of his hutch and run over to the run, boxed and bit Buzz (made his nose bleed) puts me off! Do you think rescues would bond a threesome male, male, female?

Last edited:
No they were both neutered. Ralph is just REALLY territorial/dominant. Buzz was very open to him though, which would probably mean that Buzz could be bonded with a boy.

I've got some critical care here in my extension medical kit:oops:

Fatfluffs is the place to go for bonding. They helped me bond Akasma, Frankie and Merlin and the lads got on better.

Back