• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mixi.. Freaking out please help

lauraocal

Warren Scout
Right...

.. I have just had a call off my sister saying she found a rabbit at the side of the road could I come get it.

I told her I wouldn't take it but would bring her some food and hay and help her find a rescue in the morning for it.

I got there and it was a wild rabbit.. and it has, what I believe, mixi.
It's eyes were swollen shut, it was struggling to breathe.

I held it to have a look, and now I'm totally freaking out thinking mine will get it now.
I have stripped off in my conservatory, bathed and then showered and I'm fairly confident nothing that came in contact with that poor bun will touch mine.
My baby has had her jabs and is up to date on them, is this enough??

Please reply, I dont dare go near my baby.

I'm sure you'll be fine. I have picked up myxi rabbits and taken them to the vets to be pts and stripped off before literally going through the door. Probably a daftrisk to take, but my conscience wouldn't let me leave the rabbit.

What did you do with the rabbit?

It's still at my sisters house, although I dont think it will make it through the night. She is going to take it to the vets in the morning before she goes to work if it's still alive.

Oh, the poor little thing, it just breaks my heart. What a cruel, horrible desease.

Well done for bringing it to your sisters, I know it was a risk but I wouldnt have been able to leave it either.

Poor little wildie.

Most myxi wildies are covered in fleas and it's these that you need to be careful about. I always deflea wildies as soon as they come in. Definitely right to change clothes. You should be ok as you did everything that I'd do and I have always managed to contain the disgusting disease.:cry: I am so worried that we are having these incidents of myxi right now. So upsetting.

Yeah I noticed the fleas on it.. they were all over my coat.
I take it mixi is spread this way then?
So glad I stripped off outside and hot washed my clothes.

You did the right thing, stripping off and showering. Make sure you wash the clothes as hot as you can now.

I have done.. and put them on hot heat in the dryer.

I could have cried when I saw it as I was so worried about passing the disease on to mine.

The wild bunny was dead this morning when my sister checked on it:cry:

Yeah I noticed the fleas on it.. they were all over my coat.
I take it mixi is spread this way then?
So glad I stripped off outside and hot washed my clothes.

Yep, it is. If he was in carpeted room there is a spray you can get to kill off any stray fleas and eggs and larvae that may of jumped off the little guy. It's made by Virbac and called Indorex spray. Unfortunately when an animal dies the fleas tend to jump ship to look for another host.

I had a myxi bun here for months with myxi-free vacs buns living in the room next door, with no issues:D I handled myxi-bun last at all times or changed clothes as a general precaution, but everybun else remained fine:D

The wild bunny was at my sisters house as I told her I couldn't take it on not knowing how ill it was or that is was even wild. the only way I could have contaminated my baby is if I had them on me but i took all precautions I think so should be safe.
Was a real shame for the poor bunny though, at least its at peace now

Back