• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone have a Rabbit Colony? And...

secuono

Young Bun
So does anyone have one?

Just a bunch of rabbits that all live together?

Indoor or outside, just running free in a large group and getting along?

I was thinking of using a retaining wall in my backyard to make an out door pen for my buns. I would say it's about 15ft long, 3 ft tall and has two short sides about 3 ft out. So I would add an aditional 2-3ft of metal screening on the short sides, then of course, a long, 15ft screen. Lastly, a screen top to keep my dogs and predators out. I would put plywood on one side as a roof and maybe on the outter wall to keep rain and snow out. Rest would be open to rain and everything. I'm thinking to put wire mesh on the bottom, just cover it all! That way, they can't dig out. I would put top soil on that and grass seed.

Would the buns stomp out all the grass?? I don't plan to leave them out there 24/7. Just a few hours a day on nice days.

Rabbit Colony

What a lovely idea. I have had the same idea for my 4 rabbits. I have a piece of garden that is 4m x 5m that the chickens are using as part of their run and I thought of using that as my bunny garden. They are digging holes in my lawn so I thought that would be ideal. The only problem is I have 15 chickens and I dont want to leave them short of space.
As for putting them all together - I have 2 boys and 2 girls paired. The boys have been neutered but the boys still fight if put together in same run. Would this be a problem for you?

I have a bonded pair of girls, one day, a big troop of buns would be cool.
They are tiny, so I will have to use this green, tiny hole wire netting. It's 15ft long, 2ft tall and has .5in holes if not smaller.

Back