• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets tomorrow should I mention Biscuit's claws?

Talael

Young Bun
We're going for his Mixy booster and a check up anyway but I'm getting concerned about his claws.

They've never been clipped and he's nearly a year old. I've asked every time we've been but the vet says they're fine.

This week tho I've found two of his claws on the carpet!! I don't know if this is normal or not. He hasn't bled or anything but is this a sign they're too long or is it just what happens?

:wave: I would imagine that your bun should have had his claws clipped by now, unless he does allot of running on concrete:?

Is your vet very rabbit savvy? When they do the myxi jab they should do 90% in the scruff and 10% in the base of the ear, or similar. (Sorry no good with these complicated terms:roll: but that is what my vet does.)

If not you could ask on here for a rabbit savvy vet in your area:)

Not sure about claws falling off if they get too long as I always trim my animals claws myself, but I have heard cats do this:? Funnily enough I did my buns claws today and then it will be the guinea pigs and then the dogs and then my sons. Just a quick working out, I am in charge of 148 claws and nails:shock:

Are the nails longer than the fur around his feet? That's supposed to be a good way to judge. Sometimes it does seem like they have very long claws, but you can't cut them too short or they will bleed. If some have fallen off / been ripped off it does sound like they might be too long :?

He's been seen by two different vets at different practices and they said the same but I'm certainly going to check again tomorrow.

This is the vet where he had his mixy jab but to be honest I looked away when he did it (I'm such a wimp when it comes to my baby, lol)

I'd be too afraid of hurting him to clip them myself tho. Sounds like you have a lot of work to do :D

Had his booster today and I managed to make myself watch. She did most in his back or neck (somewhere like that) and then a little behind his ear.

She also clipped his nails and he actually seems a bit chirpier now, or he will once he's stopped sulking about nasty mummy taking him to the vet, lol.

She checked his teeth out too which none of the vets he's seen has ever done and said they're in great condition so mummy is doing something right at least!

Back