• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies been castrated on Tuesday still quiet and not eating as much as usual

kazzie

New Kit
After some advice - my rabbits were castrated on Tuesday - all went well and came home. They are lively when you go near them and enjoying running around when out - but when they are in their hutch they are quite sleepy and don't seem to be eating as much as they did before - they are eating the hay and apple I put in but not eating much of their normal feed (they have a mix feed). Is this normal?? Should I be worried?? :?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Cheers
Kazzie (Crunchie and Peep Peep):?

Have you seen both of the boys eating and its not just one? Are they pooing okay? Are their wounds okay? If you had said that they had stopped eating , I would have thought that they might be in pain. Did they both get the 24 hour pain relief thats usually administered by the vet? (if you check your bill it will indicate if they did).

Are they warm enough in the hutch as, first night following anaesthesia, they have difficulty regulating body temp?

If you are worried at all, I would pop them back to the vet. My buns had a follow up appoint, following their surgery, which was inclusive in the charges. Has your vet planned one? Maybe they need more pain relief. Equally, they might be sleepy because they have had surgery.

Joe was really dozy for a couple of days after having his bits seen to, he also was off his food, the only thing he'd eat was fresh parsley so would be worth getting something fresh and tasty to tempt them. Joes a housebun but it did say on the leaflet that he got discharged with that they should be kept indoors for the first couple of days, so is there anyway of bringing them in? And yes Joe had a free follow up appointment too, in fact he ended up having too due to the fact he was still off his food a few days afterwards.

Crunchie and Peep Peep

Crunchie seems fine (better than ever actually which is good) - it is Peep Peep who is quieter than normal. Just been out and bought them some cabbage (Peeps favourite) and as soon as I gave it to him he tucked straight in. I have checked their wounds and they are clean and healing nicely and also put some extra blankets on their hutch and some more shredded paper in. They are both pooing well - seem firm which is good.

I have a follow up next week to check them out - I am happier now I have seen Peep Peep eat he is happy enough when I go and see him - so I hope it is just the transition.

thanks for you help - I will keep you posted

LOL
kazzie, crunchie and peep peep:wave:

Back