• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is more important? Inside vs Outide space

cloughie

Banned
Hey guys

Just after your views and opinions really.

Come this spring/summer hopefully Pebs and Harley will bond together sucessfully and I'll be able to buy them a playhouse and attach their run.

The area I have available is 10ft (length) x 4ft (depth) and I am thinking of getting either a 4x4 playhouse with a 6x4 run or a 5x4 playhouse with a 4x4 run.

My query is (as dumb as it may sound )...what option would you go for? I was looking at 4x4 playhouses today and they look so teeny inside , I would prefer a 5ft playhouse but this would mean comprimising on having a smaller run. would a 4x4 run be too small? It wouldn't be the only run they'd have access to (this one would be 24/7) but pending the weather they will have time in their 6x4run.

So what do you think is more important...inoor space or outdoor run space?

If I can sweeten up the furture in-laws enough hopefully they'll let me plonk a dog kennel with an attached run in the garden...that'll be fantastic

Personally I would go for a bigger run as I know mine would rather be out running about - i suppose it depends on your buns..

Have you thought about something like this? i think they are good as the run is also covered and the buns will have access to hutch and run at all times - I also think they are extra safe from predators etc..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TANALISED-DOG...QQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item35a6de5d91

For rescues the minimum requirement for a hutch is 6 x 2 x 2 and run 6 x 4 x 2so the area is too small but could you maybe put levels in? so you have a double storey smaller hutch and a bigger run??

edited to say sorry I see you have already looked at dog kennels!!

A dog kennel and run would be great...trouble is though that it would block off the view of the garden from the kitchen where it is 5ft high along the whole length. Its my OH's parents house and I don't want to take the micky and take over their garden with blocking their views etc.

I'm thinking more for me too with cleaning out...the doors on 4x4 playhouse are not very wide and there doesn't seem to be much room to stick a 2nd level in :?

It depends on your bunnies.

Alfie and Bubbles spend most of their time in the run part of their house and rarely go into the enclosed part. I have a 12x4 aviary, which has an 8x4 run and a 4x4 shed, so for my two 4x4 is perfectly adequate.

The min. requirements for 2 buns is a 6x2 hutch (12 sq ft) and 4x4 is slightly bigger than that (16 sq ft).

As a permanent home, even with access to a bigger run at certain times, I would personally go for the bigger run. :)

If there isnt room for a second level, then how about something like this inside:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/rodents/cages/rabbit_hutches/outback_hutches/100178

Alfie and Bubbles have got one and are always perched on top of it.

Bigger run definately. Exercise is so important in keeping them healthy, when they are inside they are generally sheltering or hiding so space isn't that important. When they are outside they need to be able to run in circles :)

I forgot to say too that you would need to make sure there is some kind of weather protection for the run, so that it's dry and still usable in the rain. ;)

Thanks for the ideas :)

You know that feeling where you just want everything to be perfect but there is too much to consider *sign* :lol:.

I thought of something new last night...at one end of the 10ft area it widens to 6ft instead of 4ft so I could have the bigger run in place, just positioned the other way round to what I have always hand in mind :lol: so now the option is to have a 6ft hutch with a 6x4 run to its side or a 5x4 play house with the run at the side...I suppose really the only decision is to go for what is easier to clean and access? :D

As others have said, it depends on your buns - are they outside currently? do you know how much time they spend inside vs outside?

I know some people's buns are out in all weathers, sitting in the run in the snow etc, so they'd want more run space. My two only spend time in the run when the weather is nice, the deck is dry and/or there is food or new toys out there. They spend much more time in bed :roll: or chilling on the shelves in the wendyhouse, but they do love being put out in the grass run for a few hours.

I have a 4x4 wendyhouse with two shelves - here is the album if you want to see pics and how it was made http://photobucket.com/bunningham_palace

I am getting a new run, upgrading from 6x4 to 6x8 but i am going to cover half the run with tarpaulin so its fully sheltered etc with the other half open to the elements! My girls will go outside from first light in the summer, and i like them having that option, but they dont run around or binky in there, only when free-ranging or on the grass

As others have said, it depends on your buns - are they outside currently? do you know how much time they spend inside vs outside?

I know some people's buns are out in all weathers, sitting in the run in the snow etc, so they'd want more run space. My two only spend time in the run when the weather is nice, the deck is dry and/or there is food or new toys out there. They spend much more time in bed :roll: or chilling on the shelves in the wendyhouse, but they do love being put out in the grass run for a few hours.

I have a 4x4 wendyhouse with two shelves - here is the album if you want to see pics and how it was made http://photobucket.com/bunningham_palace

I am getting a new run, upgrading from 6x4 to 6x8 but i am going to cover half the run with tarpaulin so its fully sheltered etc with the other half open to the elements! My girls will go outside from first light in the summer, and i like them having that option, but they dont run around or binky in there, only when free-ranging or on the grass

Somewhat off topic but I have the same cat flap in my shed as you!

Last edited:
Back