• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutered rabbit

flip flop

New Kit
hi i picked my rabbit up today from vets at 5pm, after being neutered he still hasent eaten or drank as yeat, hes just sitting there very quiet i have him indoors also any advice on this thanks

He may still be groggy after the ga. Is he warm enough? have you tried tempting him with something he really likes? is he drinking?

Just give him a bit of time and let him rest. Every so often try and tempt him with his favourite food. Make sure he's got plenty to choose from and he has nice fresh water available.

My advice would be if he hasn't pooed or eaten by tomorrow (late morning) give your vet a call.

Just give him a bit of time and let him rest. Every so often try and tempt him with his favourite food. Make sure he's got plenty to choose from and he has nice fresh water available.

My advice would be if he hasn't pooed or eaten by tomorrow (late morning) give your vet a call.

ok thanks ill keep an eye on him ive been told to get flip my female rabbit spayed so shes booked in vets next friday

As above, let him rest and see how he is in the morning....mine went to be spayed on monday and didnt really 'come round' til the morning after

cant add any better advice then that. i just had my girl done and i really nervous when she wouldnt eat and the first thing she did eat was banana might be worth a try. i think i remember your post asking whether you should put neuter them. its good that youve got them done thats the one thing i like about this forum you get such good advice and its always good when you see people do actually listening to what you say.
vibes for you bunny

Have you put some water in a bowl rather than a bottle? They seem to like a bowl more when they are under the weather.

Both mine liked a slice of apple dipped in water after having a GA:?

Have you put some water in a bowl rather than a bottle? They seem to like a bowl more when they are under the weather.

id go with this too, temping herbs something strong smelling, small piece of banana, so something he normaly likes, did they give him a painkiller do you know ?

Both mine liked a slice of apple dipped in water after having a GA:?

ok michell im going to slice an apple up now and have a bowl of water thanks everyone for this advice this site is really helpful

Awwh, bless him. Youve done the right thing bringing him inside and keeping him on soft bedding :) Try and tempt him with anything you have, i normally get herbs in for when buns here are being neutered.

Let us know how he is tomorrow :) If he hasnt improved by lunch time tomorrow id call the vets to get a gut stimulant xXx

Peter (my rabbit) was castrated on Monday. I picked him up at 5pm and he was really quiet and just lay in his cage. We moved him into the living room so he would be warm.

When I picked him up, he was led on a hot water bottle. Once he was settled in his cage (at home), I got my hot water bottle. He snuggled up to that and went to sleep. By the following morning he had more energy and started to eat and drink.

:wave: You could always try using boiled water from the kettle still warm aswell, it may be a bit more palatable and soothing, I have nothing really to add apart from it will take time and lots of peace and quite and warm is important. If you are really worried and need to get some moisture in you could always try cucumber or celery chopped into small pieces aswell. It should say on your receipt if he had pain relief which will last 24 hours, I still had to put a hay on newspaper in his litter tray corner for my little male or he wouldn't have gone. Lots of fresh hay and a bit of a buffet of his favorite things is a good idea and then in the morning you will know what he has eaten and whether he has pooped/wee'd. If not you need to get back to the vet first thing for treatment. I checked on Gizmo in the night aswell just to make sure he was alright. Hope he is OK and just tired. x

How is he this morning? :)

hi nichell hes just siting there looking out i have him indoors nice and warm hes been to toilet and eaten 4 pieces of apple thats all i have some banana there now and some carrots ect i just changed his blanket so im just keeping an eye on him im glad hes been to toilet but hope he starts to drink and eat a bit more as today goes on now ill keep you informed thanksill also get some photos on her soon

Sounds as though he's getting there. Lots of vibes for a speedy recovery.

Hope he's starting to feel like eating now:)

It takes them a while to get back to normal eating-wise :) Amber took a week to get back to eating her usual amount of pellets.

Hope the girliebun's spay goes just as well x

Back