• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

skirting boards!

CDW

Warren Scout
For those of you who have indoor, free range buns, does anyone have any tips for protecting skirting boards from tiny teeth!!!

Or is this just inevitable and something I shouldn't worry about??

Naughty bunnuhs - mine have been nibbled too.

Mine tend to go for the same areas so I put up NIC cube panals round the areas they nibbled, or box off the area so they cant get to it - they soon get used to not being able to go there!!

Strawberry is the king of destruction! We are in rented hosuing so try to minimise as much damage as possible but I am fairly sure we wont be getting the deposit back!

He started on the skirting boards so we blocked them all off with NIC cubes.

Then he moved onto the doors so we put a wood panel in front of it.

Then he started on carpet so we put lino down.

Then he ate the lino so we brought rugs.

He ate the rugs so we went back to lino but made sure all the edges were out of reach.

His new thing is PVC windowsills. Fortuntely his little teeths havent made much of a dent in them yet but there is time.

Strawberry is the king of destruction! We are in rented hosuing so try to minimise as much damage as possible but I am fairly sure we wont be getting the deposit back!

Snap! We're in exactly the same position. Luckily my landlady is brilliant and we were lucky enough not to have to pay a deposit. I've already promised that I will replace all the carpets and I'll get the skirting boards sanded and painted if we move on.

But it's worth it isn't it. I've got loads of distractions for my two - but Faith in particular still likes to chew the door frames, and the bannister, and the skirting boards...)!

Thank you!!!

It's a nightmare for us too. I didnt realise how much damage they could do. We accidentally ended up with a house bun so not much consideration went into it i'm afraid (hence me scoping out this place for help).

I personally dont care what damage he does as long as it doesnt endanger his health. I had a shock yesterday when i found he nibbled through the laptop cable - i have no idea how he got there (I think he scaled the bookcase). Thank goodness it was off (gave me a nasty sock when i turned it on).

I have found that bunny proofing a house is infinitely harder than toddler proofing!!

We try to discourage unwanted damage but diversion techniques (he usually does it through boredom and wanting cuddles/fuss etc). And if it is particularly persistant a 5 min time out (put in his hutch) seems to work! Lol!

Someone suggested rubbing a lemon on the area - but someone else said some bunnies actually like that! Lol!

skirting boards, door fames, doors, disctraction as other have said only helps me

Our first house bun came to us by accident - we rescued her from my sister who wasn't looking after her properly. She had a wee nibble on the skirting board but was really well behaved.

Sadly she died suddenly last year. Then we got our current two - two sisters and they have been a shock to the system - they are so destructive. My hoover and my laptop wire have both got tiny nibbles in them, luckily nothing serious. I've tried my best to bunny proof the place but there's always something they are chewing on that they shouldn't.

I'm going to get a spray bottle and try that if I see them up to no good...

Thanks!!

Pierre and Kyi have always been well behaved but Inara is extremely destructive, carpets, plaster from the walls, skirting boards, floor boards, anything left on floor like shoes etc:roll: the only thing i have found to work is to put either an item of furniture etc over whatever is her currant favourite place to nibble and give make sure she has lots of chew toys. i think she like how differant surfaces feel as i find that by giving her a variety of toys she is allowed to chew such as card and paper as well as willow, she is better behaved.
i just hoping she mellows with with age

with my previous rex i tried rubbing raw garlic cloves over the bottom of a cupboard she had a particular fondness for which discoured her...but as i discovered, Kyi liked the taste of garlic:shock:
i also experimented with raw chilies and infused chili oil which seemed to discourage both the girls but obviously you are limited in regards to which items you can rub with either oil or raw chilies so this technique may or may not work for you.

Raw chilli's ? Wont that hurt them?

if it got into they're eyes it would certainly cause irritation but in this case i was simply rubbing a raw chilli along the underside of a particular cupboard to discourage her chewing it.

Thats a great idea - i might try a tiny ween little tester underneath my sofa. :thumb:

I find that more than one bun = maximum destruction because they encourage each other! I've got some serious work to do on the skirting in the spare room now, as hay and toys are apparently no match for varnished wood... Nermal wasn't a chewer until I got Phoebe, but she is the queen of destruction! (A good match for Strawberry??!!)

Raw chillies sounds like a not bad idea if it's just being rubbed on a surface - the smell should put most buns off, however i have a chilli plant in the bathroom (it likes the heat from the shower), and shortly after i got phoebe i found her in the pot with the plant trying to eat a chilli.... God knows how she even got in the bathroom..... The soil-covered grumpy bun desperately trying to shove a chilli in its mouth was quickly removed and given a time-out.. :roll:

I find that more than one bun = maximum destruction because they encourage each other!

Totally...our two just play follow the leader...Blossom usually runs over to chew the corner of the wall first..then Timmy has to go and investigate and be the copy cat :lol::lol:

I tried the raw chilli tip and while he's left the sofa alone, he seems to like the corner of the unit even more!!!! I didnt rub it directly on there for worry of hurting him but i think he may actually like a hint of chilli!!!! Am at the end of my tether - hubby is even on about making him live in the out house come the summer but i sooo want a house bun (minus the destruction)! I wasn't prepared for a house bun originally but i love having him feel part of the family and i was even prepared for a little bit of damage but not to the extent of 'Lucky' damage!

Seems like he's only happy if you cuddle/fuss him for 20 hours a day!! Good job i love that then! :love:

I definitely wouldn't try the chillies, what happens if they lick the chillie and then clean themselves, that burning sensation doesn't go away quickly and they could get it in their eyes or on their delecate private bits! :shock:

My buns have been destructabuns but I've managed to stop them - basically when they used to do naughty things they were shut in a dog crate or fully bunny proofed area, and then when they were out they were supervised. When one chewed anything they shouldn't he/she was shouted at, moved from whatever they were chewing and given something of their own to chew. I've tried to teach them what is ours and what is theirs. The buns now have the whole living room whilst we're in the house and a 2m by 3m area sectioned off whilst we're out - this area has skirting board, radiator covers, part of a v expensive sideboard and some curtains all in easy reach, and they ignore them and chew their cardboard house and toys.

You can do it, it just takes patience.

Thanks BevBunny - it's given me some hope!

I only put the chilli out of lick reach if you get me but i understand what you are saying - i'm going to wash it off just in case!

He has time outs and plenty of chew things but sometimes i wonder if he does it for the interaction (much like how kids are 'rewarded' with bad behaviour so that encourages them).

I will keep at it -he's been with us less than a month so i will persevere! :)

Back