• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bit of a runny tummy

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
I got Ellie a few months ago. She a rather large lop eared harlequin :) She lives with Fiver, a rather smaller little boy harlequin.

Since i've had her ive noticed she's had done some runny poo's... now i don't know if its DEFFINATELY her but Fiver ever has tummy problems. I can't tell if it is excess cecatrophes(sp?) or actual diahorrea(sp?)

She has a 3 level cage and ive noticed poo smudged on the 2 higher shelves. The shelves are made from wood and so its really hard to get off, ive only noticed it after its dried on :roll:
Since i have had her i have noticed she has lots of stomach noise. I know this isn't normal but it doesn't seem to bother her, the runny poo is really a small amount so i know its nothing to worry about. Her tummy noises are like rumblings and gurgles. I'm not sure if there's a particular pattern to being fed certain things and her having tummy probs but i just wanted some advice on what could be going on :)

She is otherwise a healthy, happy bun (although slightly overweight) and never seems to be in pain. I dont really want to take her to the vets as its obviouisly stressful and that wont help matters. I thought initially the belly noises were stress related because i had just bonded her with Fiver and she'd gotten a new home etc bt they've continued.

Thanx for any advice.

xx

What do you typically feed them? Some veggies don't agree with some bunnies ie lettuce is a common one or the gassier ones like broccoli etc or it could be the pellets? A few buns get a runny tum with Excel pellets my Dudley had that problem until I switched to Science Selective!

Yes I would say this is likely to be diet related, do you hand feed the veg- I am just wondering if Fiver is eating more of one thing and leaving her more of another sort of thing. I would get her some Fibreplex and increase her hay. I would get her some Dandelion and Plantain https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hay...a&page=2&osCsid=pf5g9uu6iktu22mpt1jm28h7t5for a couple of days and restrict her to just some spring greens and dill as fresh veg once a day. I would monitor this as it would seem there is likely to be an inbalance in fibre. It is maybe worth considering a new pellet or mix and introducing gradually over a couple of weeks. I would also make sure all bowls, water bottles and veggies are thoroughly washed.

She was on Wagg and i changed her onto the same food as Fiver which is Excel. She's had a runny tummy even before the excel unless Wagg is known for it.

Its only every so often, they don't get veg every day because i prefer they ate their hay which they eat tons of. They eat parsnips, cabbage and carrots sometimes. I give them fruit about once a week but like i say she doesn't really eat veg or fruit.

I may stop giving her veg an see if that helps, its just confusing because it happens randomly :?

To be honest the veg you mention may well cause their poops to be loose, I would stick to 'softer' things like spring greens washed and some herbs like basil and dill. Fruit wise, a small piece of banana (teaspoon) size is fine or a strawberry or red grape or a small piece of apple. Tomatoe I have found in moderation is popular aswell. I feed a quarter a couple of times a week and haven't had any probs. Best thing to do is get some nice hays like oat and the dandelion and plaintain aid digestion aswell. Try something like Royal Rabbit maybe but, introduce it gradually. The fibreplex is good aswell. You don't sound overly concerned now, I would keep an eye on it personally and see what is causing it.

Well I am concerned but she is fine in herself, binkying and being her usual cheeky self so know she isn't feeling ill. I think she just isn'tsed to veg and different foods. I've kept her off the veg for a while now and she seems fine.

I never give her too much so maybe her system just can't handle any veg o_O It is difficult to see who's poo's are who's lol. She tends to sit in the litter tray and lie in it which probably doesn't help if she has a runny poo, Probably ends up spreading it everywhere so may seem more than what it is.

Ugh im confused.

Back