• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Banging my head against a brick wall...

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Some of you may remember a while back me taking a rabbit from my sister in law because it was fighting with others and him going to Jill at Honeybunnies. Well that left the family with two females and 1 male, all unneutered and I was told the male would live separately. They all belong to the 12 yr old boy.

Well today I get a text- "do you know aynone that wants a baby rabbit".

I go round there and one of the females has given birth to 4 babies. They are 6 weeks old now. She claims to have found homes for 3 of them and they are going on Friday but needs to "get rid" of the other one. The other female is also almost definately pregnant and living with the male.

I give in. I gave all the advice they needed, told them to keep them separate!

They also have another female who my sister in law got for herself because she wanted on. It lived indoors for 3 days till she got bored and now lives outside in a 3ft hutch.

I just wouldn't have the patience to rescue. I could have slapped her today!

Some people never learn do they!!!!!!

You have tried your best and obviously all your information went in one ear and out the other. I feel sorry for you though having to deal with it all. hope it all gets sorted

:shock: I would hate it if I had a family member just ignore my advice like that, especially when you are trying to help them and the animals. My sympathy, lets hope they are all going to nice homes :roll: :evil:

:shock::evil: Why do people not listen?! I have a similar family member, i bonded her bunnies for her, bought her a 6ft hutch, i even buy the rabbits food, but they are so neglected, she just leaves them sat in their hutch all day and hardly ever cleans them unless i buy her hay :( Its so sad. Im ashame to be related to her!

Its a waste of breath even talking to her about them.

Yesterday;

Me- "do you know the sex of the babies"

"yes the black ones are boys and the grey ones are girls"

Me- "Oh right, did the vets sex them for you?"

"No, the dad is black and the mum is grey".

I dispair!!!

Yesterday;

I dispair!!!

:roll::roll:
Oh dear.
Is there anyone in the family who might be on your side? If so, maybe a stealth neutering of the male might be in order.....
Or if it gets desperate, maybe getting the RSPCA to come round might wake them up to what you're saying?

Good luck!

:roll::roll:
Oh dear.
Is there anyone in the family who might be on your side? If so, maybe a stealth neutering of the male might be in order.....
Or if it gets desperate, maybe getting the RSPCA to come round might wake them up to what you're saying?

Good luck!

Its my partners, brothers wife and my partner is totally on my side. They also have 8 children and have social services heavily involved.

I would try the RSPCA but they wouldnt do anything. They have hay and water and a 5ft double hutch. Keeping rabbits unneutered isnt against the law.

Unfortunately I have a sister like this. She's had three rabbits in the past, all of which I've had to take off her (two that I looked after myself and one I managed to rehome). She thought it was acceptable to feed rabbits every other day - they were locked in tiny tiny cages with covers over the front, very little human contact. It's really sickening.

She's now got several dogs. She's on benefits and can't give them the care they deserve. Really makes me mad. :evil:

Nightmare :(

I have to bit my tongue with my sister-in-law who has given away two dogs in the past two years for chewing her carpet :roll: Every time they get in touch i wonder if their current dog will still be with them :(

One of the receptionists at my vets asked if I could take a possibly pregnant female rabbit from a friend of hers because she had bought a mixed sex pair and didn't have the money to neuter them :roll:

I had to say no because I don't have space, and I'm also not sure it's a good idea to move a pregnant doe in case she rejects the babies.

I'm a bit scared to ask what the current situation is :(

Some of you may remember a while back me taking a rabbit from my sister in law because it was fighting with others and him going to Jill at Honeybunnies. Well that left the family with two females and 1 male, all unneutered and I was told the male would live separately. They all belong to the 12 yr old boy.

Well today I get a text- "do you know aynone that wants a baby rabbit".

I go round there and one of the females has given birth to 4 babies. They are 6 weeks old now. She claims to have found homes for 3 of them and they are going on Friday but needs to "get rid" of the other one. The other female is also almost definately pregnant and living with the male.

I give in. I gave all the advice they needed, told them to keep them separate!

They also have another female who my sister in law got for herself because she wanted on. It lived indoors for 3 days till she got bored and now lives outside in a 3ft hutch.

I just wouldn't have the patience to rescue. I could have slapped her today!

I know how you feel, I have sister-in-law equally as bad. She can't afford to look after her rabbits, has no idea of the sexes, no intention of ever taking them to a vet and doesn't believe any of the advice I give her. I've tried everything, but she doesn't like me much so I have a feeling she's determined to go against anything I say out of spite. So now I'm keeping quiet in the hope that when she finally gets fed up with them she'll contact me :(

So frustrating, especially when it's a family member. I feel I have a responsibility to the buns.

It sounds like you have done everything you can though. If you ever find a way of getting through to her, please let me know!:)

im going through the same with a cat, the owner thinks its wrong to neuter:roll: a nightmare more so for you even if you did take them for neutering, they would still no listen to you :(

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::(:cry::cry::cry::oops::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: Sorry but there are just no words. It makes me want to cry when I hear these stories. Its just not fair, those poor bunnies, I just cant stand it

Yesterday;

I dispair!!!

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

Yesterday;

I dispair!!!

:shock::shock: Sounds like a loose/loose situation :cry: xXx

Back