• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Julie went to a different more rabbit savvy vet

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
On Saturday she had an complete examine, another urine test and blood work.
She is a healthy weight. The vet said her weight is perfect but she doesn't want her to loose anymore. She can have a limited amount of pellets now.

There are no more calcium crystals in her urine. She did have a slightly high blood calcium but the vet said nothing to really worry about. She said Julie is just a bunny that can't handle any greens with high calcium like spinach or
kale. She thinks that her blood calcium was high before and her body was getting rid of it through her urine. She should be fine on a low calcium diet.

Julie also has a bladder or urinary infection. She is on an antibiotic for that for 2 weeks. I am so happy that she is okay. Her feet are healing now that she is not peeing on herself anymore. She is active and happy. She did have a
little watery diarrhea after the antibiotic.
The vet said to lower the antibiotic dose and call her if she has anymore or looses her appetite. After she had the watery stuff she ate tons of hay and she then had normal poos.

I just wanted to give an update for anyone following her story. Thanks for all the vibes.

YAY :D Thats good news for you all. I was wondering if you had got her to the other vet she was referred to yet.
Glad that it turned out to be something simple to rectify as it must have been very worrying for you.
Julie was looking fab in the last pics you posted so its great to get vet confirmation that she is a perfect weight now.
Bet Julie is happy to be back on a few pellets. :lol:

aw well done julie what a good bunny you are, hope she continues to make a full recovery for you.

The vet said that Julie was the best bunny. She took her to draw the blood. She said that she was explaining how it is done to a student. She told Julie to lift her chin and Julie did it. She told the student that you need to hold the bunny as the needle goes in because the bunny will jump and might fight. She said that Julie didn't even flinch. She told the student that this is not a typical bunny. She brought Julie back into the room and said that she could run around if she wanted to while she checked her urine. Julie hopped around and I had brought hay and water for her. She drank and ate and was so good. She was good on the car ride over too. Once I put her favorite toy bunny next to her she laid down with her.

Julie was wiped out the rest of the day but returned to normal the next day. She took her antibiotic really well for the first few days but now has decided that she does not want it anymore. Strange because she LOVED it and could not wait for me to get it ready. Now she runs and hides.

:love: I love to hear about Julie she sounds like such a character.
Perhaps she thought the antibiotic was some sort of new treat then realised a few days down the track that actually it wasn't that special!

:love: I love to hear about Julie she sounds like such a character.
Perhaps she thought the antibiotic was some sort of new treat then realised a few days down the track that actually it wasn't that special!

Oh yes.............she would gobble it and try to eat the syringe looking for more. She started hating it after it gave her watery diarrhea.
Maybe she knows that is what did it.:shock: Now she hates it.

Back