• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help! Very Worried

trixibelle

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

My rabbit hasn't eaten or drank in 24 hours! Also her droppings are really small and dark. She seems ok sometimes but other times withdrawn - she'll still eat treats tho!

I cannot call the vet until the morning does anyone have any idea what could be wrong/similar experiences I am really really worried!

Thank you
Trixibelle

Rabbits need to see vets as a matter of urgency after about 12 hours of not eating and it becomes very serious after about 24 hours, it really becomes very dangerous to leave it any longer than 24 hours.

If you really cannot get her to a vet before tomorrow she must be kept warm, try to syringe some water to avoid dehydration and tempt her with any food you can. if you are able to tempt her with treats try to get her to eat frequently.

I cannot stress enough how important it is she sees a vet ASAP though, it really could make the difference between life and death.

I agree
Your Rabbit may already be seriously ill and she really needs treatment tonight.

Is there no way you can get her the help she needs ?
She is probably in pain :cry:

she doesnt seem like she is in pain she is very alert - tried to give her some spinach which she loves but she just had a little nibble wich isnt like her. I have a number for the vet but I don't have access to a lot of money - any idea how much it will cost?

I think you should call the vet number, they will have an out of hours line and will be able to tell you how much it will cost.

Def phone the emergency vet hun - they will tell you on the phone what the fee will be. I have used my emergency vet a couple of times and the fee depends on the exact time of day.

She does need to see a vet straight away though. Rabbits are different from a lot of other animals in that if their digestive system slows down or stops for too long, it can be impossible to get it going again :cry::cry: so what seems like a superficial problem can quickly be fatal. The vet will be able to evaluate what has caused bunny's lack of appetite and prescribe appropriate treatment for the cause and the symptom.

Not trying to stress you out, just a warning that bunnies can be very fragile sometimes.

huge vibes for your bunny, I hope she's ok. xx

Thank you to everyone who replied! I went to the emergancy vet and her gut has stopped :( I am very worried but she seems in safe hands- the vet even let me pay for the initial treatment and not the £250 usual deposit! So glad I took her x

Hi,
My lil Pickles wasn't eating etc and I did what all the others have suggested and now he is right as rain. He had some medicine, 3 injections to get his gut moving and some recovery powder stuf. The injections were £5 each and the Powder stuf was about £4. But he made a full recovery.
I put warm towels over him and put a saucer of water infront of his nose and watched him constantly to see if he was drinking. Keeping them hydrated is a must!!!!!

Best of luck, I doubt it will not cost as much as you think especially to ease your mind.

Love
Amanda bunny mum to Gordon, Pickles and Robbie. Piggie mummy to Nutmeg and Binky, Chilla mum to missy

Back