• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should you brush short haired rabbits?

i don't brush rosie as her hair is very very short and she grooms herself and locksley grooms her too, i do groom locksley though, as he has quite thick fur and sometimes it gets abit knotty near his neck, he loves me brushing him though

when mowgli was going through a bad moult i used to groom him, though he hated it and tried to attack the brush for brushing him :lol:, i used to groom my first mini lop mitzi too, my sister used to brugh thumper she was a french lop but as she got older her hair got thinner so didn't need brushing as it stayed ok

i think if you used a soft brush, it can help the bond between you and your bunny :wave:

When i brush Fuzzums, i sometimes brush the other two aswell.

sometimes they have loose fur that needs coming out, espcially when molting!

But i wouldnt over brush him, just when its needed, like when he is having a molt :)

I bought a small yellow brush from the pershop. You can get the same ones in Pets at Home. It is very soft! Peter, my lop, loves being brushed. I think he finds it relaxing.

could never brush Bunnie she hated it so use to get a damp flannel, and wipe hands on it and then wipe down the buns back softly and all the fur will stick to your hands, only needs a couple of goes and gets all the moulting fur off and no they aren't wet after as hands should just be clammy from flannel:D

When they are moulting it's a good idea, it will keep the lose fur from ending up in their gut. But for the rest of the year it's not really worth the effort :)

i pluck my buns as they dont like sitting still for too long, so when i grab a sneaky cuddle i pluck as much as i can out before they realise, frosty i brush as she a big girl and moults quite alot all at once, where as my dutchies moult in patches

Yes, I have to turn Flash over all the time because he licks the insides of his legs and his elbows and the fur knots.

I do, Vin likes being brushed. I have a baby brush which is really soft and she'll quite happily sit for hours. As others have said, definitely a plus when moulting.

i pluck my buns as they dont like sitting still for too long, so when i grab a sneaky cuddle i pluck as much as i can out before they realise, frosty i brush as she a big girl and moults quite alot all at once, where as my dutchies moult in patches

I'm a plucker! Tried using a brush once.......

I brush em when they're moulting. Lola's moulting at the mo. She doesn't like being brushed but she puts up with it. Benson will sit through anything as long he can have his fav dried apple and carrot treats!

As long as he doesn't like it you can brush him even if he doesn't need it. Grooming is about bonding not just coat maintenance. Use a soft brush and it's like stroking, you can get grooming mitts too :D

i pluck toffees bum :oops:

he wont let me brush near his bum, where most of his fur comes loose, so i have to gently 'pluck' it.

Gentle?! You mean you aren't slightly pluck happy andend up with a pile as big as the bunneh? :shock: :lol::lol::lol:

I pluck Blue.....He has REALLY thick fur (even though he is a house bun :roll: ) and a brush doesn't really do anything. I tried using a furminator too....but he didn't like it. He won't let me brush/groom his tummy or under his chin though, so I wait till we are having cuddles and he falls asleep then I can get to his chest to pluck it. I brush Marnie cause she seems to get wet or sticky on her all the time :roll:

I have tried brushing my two but they are not fans. They don't mind the grooming mitt as much but generally, I just do it when they moult.

Gentle?! You mean you aren't slightly pluck happy andend up with a pile as big as the bunneh? :shock: :lol::lol::lol:

:oops: i do that with biggles, i feel ive lulled him into false sense of security hes all melty and soppy until i get to his bom, then it eh wah noooooooo, com ere youuuuuuu:lol:

I gave Blue a bald patch on his face once :oops: I wan't doing it hard or anything....it just all came out. And he sat there doing his happy chuntering :roll: I felt so awful :oops:

Back