• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

grass used by dogs - advice please

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
we moved into this house in november and obvioulsy, neither bun has been outside yet.

when the weather gets warmer, they'll love it out there as its a walled garden so they'll have plenty of room to play without being in a run.

the lady who lived here before us had 2 dogs and you can still tell where they'd 'been' on the grass.

this may sound like a stupid question but will eric & esme be safe on grass that's still discoloured where the dogs used?

If you have an area of concrete where you can disinfect first and let them play out that would be good, I would personaly leave it for a year if you could do the above. If not I suppose if you cut it a few times once aweek for a couple of months that may be ok. hopefully somebody with this experience may help. Ive been lucky and always moved into non dog houses, just by luck than choice. Not much help really was I.:roll:

if the grass is discoloured, dig it up and either buy more grass or grass seeds and put it in that area :wave:

The buns should be fine, we have a dog, however she uses the back alley as her toilet :oops: so she doesnt kill off our grass.
But she poos in the garden, which we pick up and wash down.

I would cut the grass short as soon as you can and wait for some nice sunny days so the UV rays can get to work - I understand Coccidia is a consideration where dogs have been but stong sunlight would help to kill it off.

I have dogs that use the same garden as the buns,which is why the dogs are wormed every 3 months and the rabbits are panacured every 6 months.

I'd wait until you can mow the grass several times before you let your buns on it, and if possible give it a good soaking between mowings. I'd dig up the obviously discoloured bits as the grass is unlikely to grow there again anyway, and seed it.

thank you everyone, thats really helpful (OH thought i was being a crazy panicky bunny worrier when i said i wasn't happy that there had been dogs on the grass til november:oops:).

best buy a lawnmower (had a gardener included at the last house). what a waste of money tho cos as soon as i feel its 'safe', my piggy herd will mow the lot in a day:lol:

thank you everyone, thats really helpful (OH thought i was being a crazy panicky bunny worrier when i said i wasn't happy that there had been dogs on the grass til november:oops:).

best buy a lawnmower (had a gardener included at the last house). what a waste of money tho cos as soon as i feel its 'safe', my piggy herd will mow the lot in a day:lol:

if you have no need for a mower in the future, why not try and borrow one?
from a neighbour, or friend/family member? will be alot cheaper :)

I wouldn't worry, the snow, rain etc will have killed any bacteria. I have a dog and am careful to keep the garden clean but, generally with regular cutting and hosing in the summer it's clean and in the winter the rain etc helps. It's pouring down in Hampshire today :roll: so my outdoor girl has bobbed round the patio mostly and even then heel flicking as if she is soaked :lol:

My dogs share my small lawn with the bunnies. I clear any poops immediately (although the dogs are fed a natural raw meaty bone diet so they're like chalk really) and I regularly cut and hose the garden in summer. I've never (touch wood) had any problems with the buns getting ill. The bunnies aren't stooooopid (;)) and will avoid eating grass that stinks of urine.

My dogs share my small lawn with the bunnies. I clear any poops immediately (although the dogs are fed a natural raw meaty bone diet so they're like chalk really) and I regularly cut and hose the garden in summer. I've never (touch wood) had any problems with the buns getting ill. The bunnies aren't stooooopid (;)) and will avoid eating grass that stinks of urine.

My bunnies share the same lawn as Spider, no problems here!

Our dogs and buns use the same lawn :) Though Poppa will only poo/wee down the far end of the lawn, and i generally use the top end of the lawn for the buns :) xXx

thanks guys:)

i'll start cutting when the times right and i think i'll re-seed the dead bits anyway as it doesn't look very nice:wave:

Back