• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis Prone bunnies...

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
those with tummy bunnies on average how many times a year does your bunny get an off day. whether its a few hours or a few days of stasis?

Alvin had 7 episodes last year. most resulted in my panic and rushing to the vets, some were possibly just gas and were gone within a few hours with home treatment. the longest gut slow down was in December lasting 12 days (i think)

the count for 2010 started last night and it appears to have been over before it started.

just sitting here at work, bored and thinking about bunnies as per:oops::oops: and i was wondering how often other tummy bunnies go on hunger strike.

Used to be every 2/3 weeks with Noisette... had to get out the Infacol and syringe her, she hated it :( Had to increase her Metacam too, and 99% of the time she was back to normal the next day! Its only gotten bad on two occasions she's been taken to the vets, but it just seems her gut hates her! It was the time when I honestly thought she is going to be forever ill and she wouldn't have long left with me!

Saying that, ever since I changed her food from Excel to Rabbit Royale mix, she hasn't has a SINGLE episode in the past 6 weeks :D

I have three buns that I think are prone...funnily enough it's a family group, mum and 2 daughters...

None of mine (touches wood quickly) have developed full bouts of stasis as all of mine have been spotted early, when they start showing signs of being uncomfortable, lying strangely etc and refusing foods, so I start the basics straight away, and luckily I have the meds to hand too.
On average these girlies have 3 or 4 episodes a year.

Flora and Parsnip seem fairly hardy and may have 1 bout of 'stasis' per year but Pea and Pod are much more prone to gassy tummies. I've only had to rush Pod to the vets once with gas - all other times I've home treated with Infacol, Metacam and Zantac and they've been fine within 6-12 hours. I'd say they probably suffer 3-4 'bouts' per year each. Each time there's been no change in food whatsoever so it's just something they get :(.

Chloe had about 4 incidents around March - May time last year and nothing since I'm hoping it wasnt a seasonal thing.

Albert had a bit of a gassy tummy the other day but I think that was due to having grass for the first time in a while

I'd say that at her worst Smokey was having a proper vets trip every 4 weeks. Inky probably was about 2 or 3 times a year.

Since switching from Science Selective pellets back to Russell Rabbit (and 4 Excel mature rabbit pellets), their tummy problems have improved a lot.

how very strange it seems to go back to pellets :? i wonder if pellets is what affects Alvin, he has had 3 different types in his life (we wont count A&P cus he hated them with a passion) but still gets stasis with each type...

Back