• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To kit my shed is going to bankrupt me? HELP!

happybunny22000

Warren Veteran
My uncles been pricing round and cos of the size he reckons inmsulation and ply will cost me around £120 :shock::shock::shock::shock:

is it worth it?

Last edited:
I havent insulated mine! I did put this metal stuff on the corners though to ensure it couldn't get chewed to bits. I also coated the bottom and just up the sides with about 4 coats of emulsion paint, and put lino on the bottom.
IMG_1199.jpg

Have any of your freinds/colleagues moved house recently - you could re-use bubble wrap as insulation as long as it's covered with wood so the buns can't chew it - no need to buy new stuff if you don't have to! What about old sleeping bags/duvets? You could try charity shops for these.

Also, what thickness ply are you looking at - if it's just to keep buns away from insulation (i.e. you're not building structural stuff out of it) you could use the thinnest available (3mm I think) or possibly hardboard may be cheaper.

Unfortunately (if I've understood correctly) as you're putting indoor buns outside now you need to help them to keep warm as much as possible until spring.

theyre oitdoor but have been inside for a few weeks and the others a few months. I dont hav eny heating on in the rooms theyre in.
The ply isnt very expensive, just the insulation. :S

:wave: i havnt insulate mine either,i have just put some off cuts of ply on the wall only because they chew and its much esier to replace than the whole shed..

theyre oitdoor but have been inside for a few weeks and the others a few months. I dont hav eny heating on in the rooms theyre in.
The ply isnt very expensive, just the insulation. :S

They'll still have lost their coats. They should really stay inside for now!!

Polystyrene boards are really cheapand easily cut to size. My dad has used it to insulate my step-mums studio (basically a shed) and it works really well. Plasterboard isn't that expensive if you get a thin one.

I got some huge sheets of expanded polystyrene (approx 8' x 2', and a good inch thick) from either Wickes or B&Q for about £3 per sheet. They went in our van but could easily be cut down with a craft knife to fit a smaller car. The straight edges will butt back together when stuck on the shed walls.

I am covering them with 3mm ply. Big sheets are a lot cheaper if you can transport them.

Builders merchants may be cheaper for materials and might deliver.

B&Q keep having 15% off days if you sign up on-line. They deliver over £40/£50? free.

I agree, the polysterene sheeting is really cheap :) We got ours from Wickes. Then you could just use ply over the top of it. I shouldnt think it would cost £120 :? xXx

They'll still have lost their coats. They should really stay inside for now!!
I thought theyd be ok ay end of march - april? :?
especially as its already starting to get warmer.

They have very little space in the kitchen over night, i will have to pen them in, theyll only have 5ft x 5ft approx :?

They have very little space in the kitchen over night, i will have to pen them in, theyll only have 5ft x 5ft approx :?

Might be different with you, but we had snow here this evening. It's still pretty bitter.

End of March, early April should be fine! (I thought you meant you wanted to put them out at the end of the week, or something.)

So you're not putting them out yet then anyway? :D

It's not getting warmer - it's still freezing here - we've had sleet today and there's snow forecast for this week. :(

Personally i wouldnt bother, if they were in a hutch it wouldnt be insulated :)

put like a small hutch/wooden shelter inside stuffed with hay etc inside for them to snuggle into and keep warm.

:)

I have never insulated any of my sheds :D...
I just covered the floor in newspaper which helps and lots of hay and also ledges where they can get off the floor (with hay on again) and also i put another hutch inside ( you can get a snuggly cosy house just big enough to snuggle up in from your local pet shops usually) in case during winter it gets minus temperatures... i get through a lot of hay but the buns like it.
I have to admit if you put enough options for them to get a bit more cosy in there i found with mine they were able to choose themselves if it was too cold to sit on the floor or on top of the hutch etc...
Mine, no matter how cold it gets, either sit on top of the hutch inside the wendyhouse or outside on the concrete :shock:... If i try to make anything cosy they make it uncosy, the weirdos :lol:

think this may have been said but battery is going.
B&Q currently have insulation on offer, maybe this could be a cheaper option.

Dont know if it would work, but could you carpet the inside of the shed ?? maybe getting off cuts, could be cheaper for you

i'll have a look at the bubblewrap stuff on that link in bandq, prob is, that would probably work out as expensive as the sheets. its quite big the shed :oops:

I just dont wnat to not do it and then regret it.

It dont be dony by the end of the week :shock:
i wnat him to also put in a level at the back lol. So not a two minute job- he has to fit it around his jobs.

Its getting warner here, 6degrees, and not been minus for a few weeks :)
Im by the coast so we dont get snow - we did before christmas but thats like a first in 30 yrs :shock::lol: and it was only an inch lol.

We're nearly in march though. :shock:

Back