• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insulinoma (pancreatic cancer)

Margaret

New Kit
Hi,
We believe one of my darlings, Strawbunny, has an insulinoma, although we are awaiting an appt for an ultrasound scan to confirm. As this is extremely rare, I would HUGELY appreciate it if anyone could share any advice or experience!
THANK YOU
Margaret & Strawbunny & Alaska, Beatrice & Levi.

I have not had any experience of it in Rabbits but AFAIK it's a common cancer in Ferrets.

Poor Bunny :cry: I hope it isn't an Insulinoma :cry:

It is unusual in bunnies but as Jane says it is fairly common in ferrets so most treatments are extrapolated from ferret medicine.
Firstly it needs confirmation - there are many causes of a low blood glucose and insulinoma is only one. It can be difficult to confirm as most of the time the growth is too tiny to see with the naked eye but still capable of producing lots of insulin. If there is a nodule visible on ultrasound then it makes diagnosis much easier. I rely on repeat measurements of a low blood glucose, ultrasound findings, blood insulin levels and even exploratory surgery when investigating ferrets.
There are various treatment options with surgical removal of the affected pancreatic lobe and medication to reduce insulin production the most commonly used.
Don't panic and try and overthink it until you know exactly what you're dealing with.
Marie

Update re. Strawbunny

Thank you for your kind posts. Just to let you know, Strawbunny did have an insulinoma (confirmed by post mortem). He lived a further 10 months with intensive TLC (round the clock supervision, ideally, particularly in the unstable stages, although there can be months where everything is under control & everything is going really well), of which 8 at least, overall, were of very good quality of life. Surgery for buns hasn't (yet) been attempted for a bun with this type of cancer, but despite that, even if surgery isn't attempted, with food constantly present & eventually steroids to control fluctuations (with Glucogel on hand at all times for hypoglycaemic episodes; a real life saver on many occasions), it's at least possible to have extra time with a beloved bun with this tumour.
I published an article in Bunny Mad & we are planning an article for the Vet Record & Rabbiting On. I also produced leaflets for last year's RWA conference to raise awareness & provide helpful hints on care.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you are interested in finding out more, or if you/your vet suspects an insulinoma.
Of course, nothing replaces having a good relationship with a competent vet, but I'm happy to provide tips, suggest a vet etc.
I would be delighted to pass on the lessons that we learned the hard way (such as the solution of having a single tent in the living room for Strawbunny (who was blind in one eye by then from having a fit & crashing into furniture) as a safe, secure, cosy place which he could stay in or leave as he chose (but which, crucially, could be zipped up enough so that if we were out or asleep (even next to him)) he would be unable to hurt himself & easily gently restrained in order to receive the necessary meds whilst having a seizure (easier said than done otherwise).

Back