• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nails

Hello
I have two bunnies, they are really difficult to handle, i need to trim there nails, does anyone have any tips? I heard that you can place some kind of stone in there cage and this will help file them down but i'm not sure what type of stone? Any advice much appreciated!
Thanks
FluffyMallow

i use these sissors to trim my buns claws, they are not so cak handed, will say the video doesnt show how she does the back claws:lol:, the back are always the challenge for me

vets will do them, or get someone to hold the bun while you trim,

failing that, i have 4 buns out of 5 that will scratch bite wriggle, for the front claws i bunch up a towel in my hand to hold the front claws up,( to avoid getting biten) also my bun is sitting they seem to be still for that tiny bit longer. Back claws i have to cover bun completely with the towel, constantly talking in a calm tone, and just tease each foot out to trim, if they wriggle i stop straight away and hold firmly to make them feel secure and carry on talking in a calm tone

"for the front claws i bunch up a towel in my hand to hold the front claws up,( to avoid getting biten) also my bun is sitting they seem to be still for that tiny bit longer. Back claws i have to cover bun completely with the towel, constantly talking in a calm tone, and just tease each foot out to trim, if they wriggle i stop straight away and hold firmly to make them feel secure and carry on talking in a calm tone"

OMG that sounds much calmer than my nail-trimming experiences.... I've only done my older bun's nails - my younger one is about to go in to get spayed, so I'm going to chicken out and ask the vet to do it as she's quite bitey and a black otter so not confident about not hitting the quick... My older buck (a red eyed white with pink nails!) is the most placid wee thing but when it comes to nail clipping time he struggles like he's being murdered! I don't cover him with a towel but i sit him on my knee and just take one paw at a time, usually interrupted by him trying to jump off, but I persevere! It's hard to stay calm if they're wriggly and you're worried about hurting them..

my girls are worst for bitting, my others are just wriggle bums, frosty is my one i worry about cutting the quick she is all white with black claws,

thing is they know if your nervous too, so will wriggle more i reckon, ive had mine done at the vet when they get there vax done, i use a roof tile in there indoor cages, works for front claws they do seem to scratch at it, just not for back ones

Back