• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blasted abcesses/update,vibes for tomorrow pls

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
Bugsy seems to have another abcess :( I'm in such a quandry as to what to do,hes nearly 9 yrs old ,had an abcess about 6months ago and came through the op etc briliantly (much to my amazement ) but is it going to be a recurrent thing??

Its not in the same place as the last one so probably not related to that at all ,we're at the vets at 4pm but I'm so confused as to what to do for the best to be honest.

Last edited:
If the whole abscess capsule can be removed easily, then personally I'd opt for surgery. Problems arise when the infection is in the bone...scraping away infected bone is a much more serious surgery and I think I'd question whether an aged rabbit should be put through that.

I *think* my vet would probably say that Bugsy should be on antibiotics for the rest of his life.

Manka honey! Whereabouts is it? Toadstool had a huge abscess and overnight even the honey made a difference. I got factor 25 online - shop around as prices vary. Mine was 39.99, post free, for 500 gs. He's been on it since Friday night and it's reduced the amount of pus to about about a tenth of what it was. Toadstool's abscess is tricky because it's inside him and runs from his back through down to his stomach, where the vet has made an opening to drain it. If it was easier to access I suspect the honey would have got rid of it entirely by now. He's also on septrin twice daily and was on metacam but doesn't seem to need it any more...

Do hope this helps! It's worked miracles.

ETA The honey did more in 12 hours than the septrin had done in 4 days.

If the whole abscess capsule can be removed easily, then personally I'd opt for surgery. Problems arise when the infection is in the bone...scraping away infected bone is a much more serious surgery and I think I'd question whether an aged rabbit should be put through that.

I *think* my vet would probably say that Bugsy should be on antibiotics for the rest of his life.

I had the same scenario with Chester:( I decided not to have him operated on because he had other health problems too - he was on antibiotics and pain relief which was also for his arthritis:(

Bugs is on baytril at the moment for an eye infection (a fairly chronic thing with him) ,abcess is on the same side but right back under his ear .

The last one was packed with manuka honey and healed brilliantly and I believe they did scrape a bit of bone but it was to be on the safe side at the time so the vet said.:?

Awww poor Bugsy :( Harley's on long term Depocillin injections as her abcess is in a stupid place :lol: and can't be operated on :(

Bugs has seen the vet and is having the abcess operated on tomorrow afternoon.

She thinks its probably related to the eye infection somewhere along the way so fingers crossed he will bounce back as well as he did last time.

Back