• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sleeping with eyes open

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
Probably a stupid question, but sometimes the buns snore, with their eyes open. Are they asleep or just wheezing? :? :lol:

Well I read that if their eyes are open but their noses aren't twitching then they're sleeping. Any help??

Well then...I have three sleeping bunnies, and one who woke up when I went to check! :lol::lol::lol: I knew Frenchies were lazy! :roll:

I also read (in my 'why does my rabbit....?' book that if you and your bunny are looking at each other and you pretend to twitch your nose and do it slower and slower, then your bunny should copy you because a nose that twitches slower showes that bunny is relaxed. I tried it. All I achieved was looking like an idiot. Only to be tried ALONE!!

I also read (in my 'why does my rabbit....?' book that if you and your bunny are looking at each other and you pretend to twitch your nose and do it slower and slower, then your bunny should copy you because a nose that twitches slower showes that bunny is relaxed. I tried it. All I achieved was looking like an idiot. Only to be tried ALONE!!

I do that!! Hehe! It works on Ruby...if she stays long enough to stare at me! :lol::lol:

Right I'm closing the curtains and tryin it again and they'll sit on their cardboard box until they get it right!!!!!!

for many years I had never seen Ling Jai sleep, day or night I thought he just didn't sleep, nowadays he seems to be snoozing 65% of the time sometimes just half way through eating:)

Amber sleeps with her eyes open during the day:)

I read once that the faster bunnies noses twitch, the more inquisitive they are being.

our bridge bun bandit..a lioneah used to sleep with his eyes open..even siting up but would keel over slowly and carry on sleeping:oops:

merlin..oddly enough..also a lionhead sleeps on his side with his eyes wide open..and he sleeps really heavily..freaks me out and nikkis always convinced hes dead as he aslkeep so heavy until his nose twitches:lol:

bertie...my beloved frenchie snores even before his pasturella..he also makes a weird clucking noise as he falls asleep sometimes. But as he is a REW his eyes are shut most of the time or seem shut..so its hard to say.
all i can say is....its hard to wake a sleeping frenchie:lol::lol:

dont i tried the nose twitch thing with out our bridge bun oscar and he looked at me as if to say..what on earth are you doing stoopid hoomin:oops:
mind you with my first ever housebun i went to that site..language of lagomorphs and even tried the head binky etc...i was really into the swing of it till my door opened and my elderly dad came in:oops:

I've never seen Raisin close his eyes. He always sleeps with his eyes open, the nose twitching gives away whether he's just posing or dozing.

Rum however falls right asleep and closes her eyes really tight, she also does that great thing when her head starts to droop as she falls asleep and then she jerks herself awake because she's about to fall :lol:

Its a built in prey instinct to keep their eyes open, isn't it? I have seen my pair sleeping with their eyes shut, but the majority of the time they are half open on the lookout! Then again, my pair seem to be dead heavy sleepers because I need to make loads of noise before they even bother getting up when I let them out in the morning :roll: :lol:

not as weird as actually having a half brother who sleeps with his eyes open :shock:

I had an ex that slept with his eyes almost totally open! And I could have a full blown conversation with him while he was sleeping.
But back to the original question - Pie sleeps with her eyes closed, she also sleeps sitting up, leaning against the wall. I would think it's normal!?

I've tried this, Flash looks at me like I'm a loony and Jez dosen't sit still long enough but Harley does it :lol:

I've tried this, Flash looks at me like I'm a loony and Jez dosen't sit still long enough but Harley does it :lol:

Well I tried it again today and I'm not entirly sure if Benny was copying me or I ended up copying him. I think it was the latter. Lola sat at a distance giving me a look of distain. I wont be doing it again! I gave him some dried carrot for putting up with me.

Back