• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting Romeo to drink ...

Romeosmommy

Warren Scout
... I dont know if Romeo has had a drink since we bought him home yesterday. How can I encourage this or find out if he has been drinking? He has his bottle mounted on the shed wall and it is in easy reach but I cant tell if he has had any and when i try and put him near to it he stomps his feet at me :)

Thank you in advance

Do you know if he drank out of a bottle before you got him?

Just incase he is used to a bowl.

Also, do you feed him veggies, cos if you do then he wont drink as much water.

Other than that i dunno, sorry!

You could try holding the water bottle up to him to see if he will drink from it - sounds silly but he might not realise it's there! I had to get mine to drink from a bowl to start with and then she started using the bottle :)

Do you know if he drank out of a bottle before you got him?

Just incase he is used to a bowl.

Also, do you feed him veggies, cos if you do then he wont drink as much water.

Other than that i dunno, sorry!

Yes he used a bowl before coz it was in the cage with him and he drank out of it while we were there. I will put a bowl in though as well i think.

No he hasnt had any veges yet. Thank you for your advice

You could try holding the water bottle up to him to see if he will drink from it - sounds silly but he might not realise it's there! I had to get mine to drink from a bowl to start with and then she started using the bottle :)

Good idea. I will try this for him as your right, maybe to us it is in easy reach/seeable but not for him! I will give it a go but will also put a bowl in there. Thank you

I gave B a bottle as soon as she came home & it wasn't until I caught her drinking out of the shower tray & my glass which was on floor that I realised she prefered a bowl!She always has a bottle attached to cage but she never uses it,she still prefers a bowl-Dill too.:)

Last edited:
Well i have just been out there to check on me little lad and it seems he has been drinking out of his bottle coz the water level is going down. However I have put a bowl in there with him too :)

Sounds good. My bun won't drink from a bottle & always has a bowl. It's more difficult to tell if they're drinking from a bowl, but at least we know the valve can't get stuck. [This happened to a very caring friend with piggies]

Sounds good. My bun won't drink from a bottle & always has a bowl. It's more difficult to tell if they're drinking from a bowl, but at least we know the valve can't get stuck. [This happened to a very caring friend with piggies]

Yes thank you, i hadnt thought of this. I check it regularly and he has deffo been drinking out of it :D

Back